OT: 2019 nCov (part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Spain is also a country where the climate is warm given there are people saying that it doesn't spread as much in a warm climate.
itS'humid tho, no ?

Dry and hot seems to be the best condition to destroy the Virus. Quebec is really dry and hot during the summer.

Florida, a lot of cases, why ? it's humid

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
No. Variations for viruses are pretty standard. For context, you have more variants than that in a single HIV infected individual. The grand majority of variants will be affected by the same treatments.
yes, you just dont want some heavy adaptation. I could see the Covid becoming like the common flu, impossible to eradicate. it's a smart virus

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Trudeau announcing a $2000 benefit per month over the next 4 months, to people not getting paid because of Covid-19. Will be available in 10 days. Simpler to get, replaces two programs announced earlier.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Lends some credence to the speculation I had heard that it was actually the US that put pressure on Canada to close our southern border.

Ottawa faces criticism for sending 16 tonnes of personal protective equipment to China in February

Lmao, when are some of you going to wake up?

Canada hasn't exactly dealt with this perfectly, that is true.

But the US has done one of the poorest jobs in handling this. If they're to send troops to stop people from crossing over, whether his motive is to "stop Canadians from crossing over to the States" or not, doesn't mean a thing to me. The States is rapidly becoming one of the highest infected countries, so keep them away, even in the guise of them trying to keep us away.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if his real motive (whether they say it or not) is to keep Americans in, not keep Canadians out. With his plan to remove social distancing and have people return to work to help the economy, I'm betting he wants to keep Americans in to prevent them from escaping to Canada. That's my opinion.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Canada hasn't exactly dealt with this perfectly, that is true.

But the US has done one of the poorest jobs in handling this. If they're to send troops to stop people from crossing over, whether his motive is to "stop Canadians from crossing over to the States" or not, doesn't mean a thing to me. The States is rapidly becoming one of the highest infected countries, so keep them away, even in the guise of them trying to keep us away.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if his real motive (whether they say it or not) is to keep Americans in, not keep Canadians out. With his plan to remove social distancing and have people return to work to help the economy, I'm betting he wants to keep Americans in to prevent them from escaping to Canada. That's my opinion.

I believe the China story is much bigger. If true.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
This is a picture I put in a grant this week, about the SARS-CoV-2 mutations:
upload_2020-3-26_8-23-7.png

You can see more of that at nextstrain.org/ncov

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Apparently our company is an essential business because we send people and businesses checks they have been awarded in class action lawsuits or through SEC and FTC.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Apparently our company is an essential business because we send people and businesses checks they have been awarded in class action lawsuits or through SEC and FTC.

Same here. I work for a cleaning company at a private airport. So we are essential to disinfecting the facility and aircrafts. My company gave us a paper the other day to keep with us if they decide to go on lockdown, then I can show this paper proving that my job is essential and it's why I'm on the road.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The change in sentiment I am referring to is due to the findings in Iceland. They did MASS testing there and found that around 50% of infected cases were completely asymptomatic.

This means the virus is far more contagious than first thought, but also that it does not effect people as badly as they thought. If 50% of people are asymptomatic it means the peak should not be as bad as once thought. This is not to downplay anything, there may still be tens of thousands of deaths. But this is better than hundreds of thousands.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We helped China again. While some of our provincial govmnts are scrambling for equipments. The Liberals have been sleeping with the CCP since the 70's. It's an issue. A major issue.

Okay. But sending the equipment there, I think about the people (nurses and doctors) who benefited from that shipment. I look at it more from the POV of the boots to the ground personnel.

But what I was saying is that Trump sending military to the borders is, in my opinion, more about keeping Americans from crossing over to Canada who don't want to return to work since he wants to boost the economy and is more than willing to not give two shits about the pandemic.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
There wasn't any case here when we did that, I'd argue helping China in trying to crush the virus before further spread was a good decision.

China can produce enough equipement by itself, wouldn't you say? They built a hospital in 10 days...China can produce ANYTHING quickly. And everybody knew it was coming.

Not politicizing this, but it has been an issue over the last 50 years in this country. We tend to lend a ear to China a lot. We shouldn't. That's just me talking here.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Okay.

But what I was saying is that Trump sending military to the borders is, in my opinion, more about keeping Americans from crossing over to Canada who don't want to return to work since he wants to boost the economy.

Oh! it is, absolutely. I was commenting on the fact that the post had two stories. I believed the military one was the least important.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Okay.

But what I was saying is that Trump sending military to the borders is, in my opinion, more about keeping Americans from crossing over to Canada who don't want to return to work since he wants to boost the economy.

Oh! it is, absolutely. I was commenting on the fact that the post had two stories. I believed the military one was the least important.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Okay.

The borders are closed both ways to non-essential travelers. I think it's more with Trump wanting to show his base he's boss and still a tough guy with the borders.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Im worried a bit about us here in Montreal. Seeing a lot of cars around. I work in an "essential" business so I have to still go to work.

We are probably on our road to 10K.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Im worried a bit about us here in Montreal. Seeing a lot of cars around. I work in an "essential" business so I have to still go to work.

We are probably on our road to 10K.

I also have to mobilize to go to work. But personally, I see a lot less traffic. For example, yesterday, I finished my shift at 4PM. When I finish at that time, it takes me about 45 mins to an hour to get home with some spots that are guaranteed to have congestion. I get home in about 20 minutes now and not a single spot of congestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad