OT: 2019 nCov (part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm disappointed again for the numbers in Italy. I was expecting the numbers to be closer to 5,000 and hoping they would finally be under 5,000.

They added 6,153 cases and 662 deaths in the last 24 hours.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Naaa, well not literally, I mean I didn't travel in other countries, nor did I know anybody coming back from such countries.

But for the last 6 weeks I've been working at my workplace store, as a 'merchandise handler' of sort, where I receive 'commercial travelers' from a bit everywhere, the rest of Canada and USA included, and merchandise from USA, Europe and Asia (rarely).

We do have a local nurse at job, and communicated with her as soon as I figured I was sick, and she guided me the best she could. She told me to call 811 if I got fever, so I got someone to fetch me a thermometer. During the day I was alright, but in the evening, damn... called sick for my next shift (which was yesterday morning, and I never call sick, even when I am), called 811, told them my workplace situation, and they refered me to an appointment clerk, and to the nearest screening center because I do have the symptoms... where they turned me back, because I didn't fulfill the 'conditions' of having been travelling or met someone travelling, even told me I didn't seem to have the symptoms. Thought it was very arbitrary of her to just say that, that I may simply have a strong constitution and fight better than the majority of people who goes there. Also, I know I'm not the first one who's been turned away... anyway called my nurse, she was shocked and thought there was a misinterpretation, asked me to call 811 again and tell them what happened, which I did. It was another professional, she told me the same thing as the first one, that I have the symptoms, but that the conditions changed and to tell them, so again she put me in contact with an appointment clerk, which was the same as before, and she wondered why I was turned back, but told me that ultimately, the onplace personnel have the last word.

After that, a friend of mine, who was watching Legault press conference, told me that now, everybody showing symptoms needs to be tested, not only people who were back from travels or in contact with someone who was travelling. Probably the changed conditions the second nurse at 811 told me about, probably something the nurse at the screening center didn't know about. (I hope she didn't). I again communicated with my local nurse to tell her that, and she told me that in the meanwhile, to monitor my fever level, that if it gets too high, to call again and get at the center, to push through.

So I'm there.

Just to be sure, my workplace officials took the situation seriously and installed measures for travellers to wash their hands before entering on the site, and were checked everytime, that I know, it's a big place and a lot of them have to pass the gate every day. Especially for us, though, as they pressed the need to wash our hands each and everyday, social distancing, our direction really is proactive, and the local nurse sure is taking care of the situation the best she can... but like I told my co-workers just last week, when it's like everybody suddenly woke up to the seriousness of the situation, at the store we pretty much are the place where everything gets through, and since you can't really prepare yourself for something like that, I simply rationalized that if we have to 'get it', we will, whatever the measures.

Now, like I said, conditions changed yesterday, so I don't know what's next. Been only 2 days too, I do have fever bursts but just in the evening, where I wake up soaked in the middle of the night, but in the morning and afternoon I'm alright.

The cough, though, is crazy... when it's not my head that is seemingly about to explode because of my coughing bursts, it's my breath I have trouble getting back to normal levels.

Like I said, it's probably just a horribly timed flu/cold, but in these times, what do I know. There are no cures anyway, the only thing I can do, whatever if I have it or not, is to stay home, something I already did on a daily basis even before that whole mess, so not really a 'new' situation for me. Not being able to go to the grocery sucks, but I have people around me who propose themselves on a daily basis if I need something.

And I'm not afraid cause I do have a strong constitution, am pretty healthy in general (heck the night it happened, I trained at home just a couple hours before, and everything was fine) and am strong mentally, passed through a lot in life, so it's just another shitty situation to go through.

A very nice 'gift' for my 40th birthday.

(and @Andy if you read that, seriously, just call 811, saw you were situated in Montreal, they will help you, don't live with that stress)

PS Sorry for the lenghty post, don't want to sound whiny nor do I want people to become paranoid, in fact I want people to simply take care of themselves and to respect the lockdown, and to be especially careful at their workplaces. We're all in this mess, together, we'll get through it, together.

You sound pretty rational and got it together,too bad for the way things were handled earlier on,but these are new times and a period of adjustment is expected.

Hopefully you regain your health sooner than later and that the measures implemented have the desired results.

I don't consider your post lengthy,informative and thorough though.

:bday:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
TSX technically in a bull market now... which started on 3 days ago on Monday. Crazy.

TSX surges into bull market in 'welcome relief rally' after crash - BNN Bloomberg

The 2.2 trillion US rescue package is like rocket fuel for stocks.

Lots of FOMO going on now.
That is sooooo coming down like a house of cards being crushed by the hands of God...I don't see how anyone would think it's a smart idea to invest right now when the economic fallout in the States, let alone the world, has barely begin...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Italy is consistently seeing 600-700 deaths a day for a few days in a row. I wonder if it's starting to plateau. It's still a lot of deaths, but there seems to be a steady state that has been reached. Maybe we'll see the numbers start to come down next week.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Its pretty crazy.

Wall Street rolling in cash while health care workers are in crisis mode.

The Fed just keeps pumping money into the market. I think it is artificially being kept that high for the moment but who knows, maybe it isn't really a bull trap. Nobody can say for sure but the underlying numbers aren't great. It's impossible to know how many small companies will go under despite the loans being thrown left and right.

Reactions: Born in 1909

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
So they want people to volunteer through jebenevole.ca, but announcing the website during the press conference meant that the website now looks like HFBoards when there is a major event such as Dwight King traded for a conditional 4th or Leafs winning a playoff round.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
itS'humid tho, no ?

Dry and hot seems to be the best condition to destroy the Virus. Quebec is really dry and hot during the summer.

Florida, a lot of cases, why ? it's humid

Parts of central america and south america are very,very humid and they are not that severely afflicted. Indonesia, Borneo,same thing. What they have in common is they consume very hot and spicy food.Not saying that that is relevant,but opens my eyes some. Getting to the point I'm tempted to do a few lines of cayenne pepper.:)

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I lived in Washington D.C. for 5 years, it is horrible in the summer, like living in a swamp. The only place I have been to that is more humid was tropical Australia. We bought new towels every week because they would get moldy when we were in northwestern Australia. That and the sound of the sugarcane toads are the strongest memories from the tropical part of Ozzieland. Plus an American girl that was taken by a croc. The newspapers headline was. "Yank, taken by croc!". Horrible. She was on a yacht and they sailed into a bay and she was dipping her toes in the water.

Those crocs are nuts! they actually grab people from boats and some in Africa knock over the dugout canoes and feast. Our dugout canoe tipped once in Cayman infested waters and that was the last time I'll ever get into something like that.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Bold is a word,the right word?

I7GvA2.gif

LOL. This is (rest stop) probably together with the mousse in the hair the 2 best scenes of the whole movie.

Reactions: angusyoung

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The reverse scenario is much more likely.

Only the delusional and/or uneducated ones would try with a purpose, I suppose. The vast majority there knows we have health care for all, you can't just show up to a Canadian hospital with an AR-15 and say "Treat muh Corona!!!!".

I'm hoping Trump isn't this dumb. There's other use for the military, namely 'general support duties' to give health care workers a strong backbone to rely on.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Are you saying a hypothetical Scheer govt would not have sent help to China? If you are, is that based on talks with those ADM friends of yours? It's credible if you were in the know at the ADM level during the Harper years, which I don't know if you were..?
Kriss E was right : I politicized this topic, I shouldn't have...even though the headline is politically charged. We can have this discussion another time.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Its pretty crazy.

Wall Street rolling in cash while health care workers are in crisis mode.

Salem Health seeks public’s help to sew 10,000 masks

It's bad.
Those crocs are nuts! they actually grab people from boats and some in Africa knock over the dugout canoes and feast. Our dugout canoe tipped once in Cayman infested waters and that was the last time I'll ever get into something like that.

I was out swimming in Bondi Beach and a sailing boat came by (20 meters) and a guy shouted "Hi!" and I got scared for a minute since it is pronounced the same way as the Swedish word for shark "haj". To be prey and be eaten is probably one of the most primal fears there is a for human.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Salem Health seeks public’s help to sew 10,000 masks

It's bad.

I was out swimming in Bondi Beach and a sailing boat came by (20 meters) and a guy shouted "Hi!" and I got scared for a minute since it is pronounced the same way as the Swedish word for shark "haj". To be prey and be eaten is probably one of the most primal fears there is a for human.

Same word in Dutch,used to have often Indonesian shark fin soup.

Terrifying to be attacked and eaten and I got often too close to some situations where I shouldn't have,youth! Some encounters were fine,gross,but fine.

Not a fan of Bondi beach,nice to visit though.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->