OT: 2019-nCov (Part 6) QuaranSpring Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if the USA has over 12,000 cases today.

Canada's numbers we're low yesterday, but it's only because BC didn't release their numbers for whatever reason.

Reactions: dinodebino

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So... Spain is the new Italy?

4321 new cases today and 410 deaths :(:help:

Yup, that was to be expected. Spanish doctors (or experts) think they may hit "Their Peak" on Wednesday before cases start levelling off or going down. They think this will coincide with the lock down they put in place. I think this is best case scenario as who knows if Italy has even hit their peak yet. By all accounts, a lot of Europeans did not take this seriously enough, so it may drag on for a while

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm happy with how it's being handled tbh, we have to focus on flattening the curve to avoid exponential growth until we can return to some sort of "normalcy". Imo people are gradually gonna go back to work in 1-2 months.

We're essentially buying ourselves a ton of time and putting less strain on our hospitals (until a vaccine is out in ~a year+). Gotta suck it up and think about keeping our friends and family safe, everyone's in this together.
Agreed. I think we have a good shot at re-opening things as of May 1. Of course the virus won't be eliminated and people will still be getting sick, but by then, hopefully, it'll be the manageable level of sickness we've always lived with. The goal isn't zero infections, it's to reduce the spread while increasing testing and treatments, so that healthcare isn't overwhelmed. Eradicating Coronavirus won't happen -- we'll learn to live with it like we have every other risk in life.

Reactions: Andrei79

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Agreed. I think we have a good shot at re-opening things as of May 1. Of course the virus won't be eliminated and people will still be getting sick, but by then, hopefully, it'll be the manageable level of sickness we've always lived with. The goal isn't zero infections, it's to reduce the spread while increasing testing and treatments, so that healthcare isn't overwhelmed. Eradicating Coronavirus won't happen -- we'll learn to live with it like we have every other risk in life.

Wow, you're even more optimistic than me :thumbu:

I'm thinking minimum 2-3 months before things get somewhat back to "normal" IF they're able to get the numbers of cases under control for a good 4-6 straight weeks. In the hospitality industry, it will be very gradual. I'm hoping I'll start getting some local Canadian meetings in the hotels by the month of September.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
My family is originally from Campobasso, before coming over to Canada during the second world war. Cool to see it mentioned in here. :cheers:
My family is from Sicily and my mom’s side of the family came here during the Second World War :) But my dad came here on his own and his family is still there.

Reactions: NobleSix

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
In January 2008 in Hong Kong I had 80 grand fully in the markets. My down payment on a flat in Canada. Had done very well for 8 years. In January 2008 there were already warnings, without something like the Virus thing now.

Good financial journalists in HK were making warnings by January 2008. I made a note on my computer to go cash that year. Then I ignored it. In October 2008 the markets collapsed and I lost 40 % of my life savings. It was too late to act. I had 45 grand left. 15 years of careful market watching poof gone in 1 month. And my down payment on a flat in Canada 80 to 45 K.

This loss does not even include future interest gains by re entering the market after I should have bailed with 80K. The loss over the next ten years was enormous. I estimate that I lost a further 80 grand by not pulling out and not having that full 80 K to re-invest as the markets rose again,

A total loss of 160 K in my estimation. It was too late. I did not go cash. I would advise everyone here to pull out now. And wait. Go cash. The markets will correct in 6 months. Then put your money back in. The markets will recover. If your are under 40. Do this. But go cash right now.

I'm not great at this, trusted a broker I had been dealing with for over 20 years, trusted his expertise over my amateurish knowledge in the dynamics of investing. I had a feeling shit was going to happen, but he discouraged me from cashing out, so I didn't.

If the markets are going to recover in 6 months, and you don't need that money for anything, why would you take a loss by cashing it out now? Mine's lost 30% and I think it will drop another 30% by the time this is done. Even at the initial 30% I've lost over 200K. I figure/hope it will take 5 yrs to get all the $ back, so is it really smart to lose all that money now if I can get it back in about 5 yrs?

One concern I have now is if this gets so bad we start seeing mass bankruptcies within the portfolio then it will be bye-bye to our investments.

Reactions: Born in 1909

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Wow, you're even more optimistic than me :thumbu:

I'm thinking minimum 2-3 months before things get somewhat back to "normal" IF they're able to get the numbers of cases under control for a good 4-6 straight weeks. In the hospitality industry, it will be very gradual. I'm hoping I'll start getting some local Canadian meetings in the hotels by the month of September.
Let's be honest, there's no scientific formula for when restaurants, stores and institutions should be opened and closed. The virus risk will never be reduced to zero and some will get sick no matter when we re-open. The trick is balancing the three pillars: public confidence, medical resources and the economy. You can lean pretty far on either one, but you can't break any.

I think we'll be given a dose of public confidence by May because the threat will be reduced somewhat, and because we'll desperately need it. But relief won't be across the board. Schools probably won't re-open this semester, which, without student swarms, will save us from a major infection hub until September. I'll guess stores are the first to get the green light, obviously, because that's our economic foundation. Hopefully, people are still wary about distance and can shop with caution.

Travel? That's a huge wildcard. No idea, though you'd think the industry -- airlines, hotels, borders -- are coming up with new protocols as we speak. At least temporary ones until public perception sinks back down to its regular complacency.

This is an unprecedented sociology experiment, and I'm guessing that our society can't and won't stay cooped up for months.

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Maybe this week will be the peak in the US, then a slow slope to recover?

US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams gave a "somber" message to the nation while speaking on NBC this morning,

"I want America to understand — this week, it's going to get bad," Adams told NBC's Savannah Guthrie, adding that some people have not been properly practicing social distancing.​
"This is how the spread is occurring. So we really, really need everyone to stay at home."

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A succint summary of the bailout negotiations in the USA. I agree with the Democratic party's position that the bailout money should not be spent on stock buybacks, etc.

Reactions: atrud66 and Lshap

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Someone sent me a link and was wondering what everyone thought about it.

It seems to be contested but I can’t find anything tangible for or against it. Maybe some knowledgeable posters have more insight.

Reactions: montreal

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Rumblings that Trump is upset with Dr. Fauci because the latter constantly corrects what Trump says.

If Fauci is fired, shit will hit the fan.

This would be beyond disastrous. Already I really don't know if the USA will ever fully recover from this. If they vote Trump for a 2nd term in November (if there even are elections) I will not understand those people at all, they're beyond saving. Maybe they want a dictator, I don't know. The global economy is going to change a lot after this, and I don't think the US will have the same place it once did.

Once we have recovered, what Canada needs to do is invest heavily in automation technologies, and invest in retraining the workforce to be able to function within an automated world. Tech, engineering, maintenance of machines, etc... These are the jobs of the future. The global impacts we are seeing today as a result of the virus are NOTHING to what we will see once automation starts to take off for real (it hasn't even started yet, really). We are talking about 800 million jobs globally that will disappear.

If Canada can position itself as a world leader in automation and automation manufacturing, we will be a world power for years and years to come. We can become less reliant on other countries for manufacturing and the cost of everything will come down since we will have the ability to manufacture 24/7 with a much higher level of quality and consistency.

Reactions: lo striver

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I'm not great at this, trusted a broker I had been dealing with for over 20 years, trusted his expertise over my amateurish knowledge in the dynamics of investing. I had a feeling shit was going to happen, but he discouraged me from cashing out, so I didn't.

If the markets are going to recover in 6 months, and you don't need that money for anything, why would you take a loss by cashing it out now? Mine's lost 30% and I think it will drop another 30% by the time this is done. Even at the initial 30% I've lost over 200K. I figure/hope it will take 5 yrs to get all the $ back, so is it really smart to lose all that money now if I can get it back in about 5 yrs?

One concern I have now is if this gets so bad we start seeing mass bankruptcies within the portfolio then it will be bye-bye to our investments.

If you thought the market was going down another 30%, then it would be smart to sell now and buy again after that 30% drop. Of course, there is no timing the market. While I think it's likely the market drops further, it's impossible to say; there's too much noise, too many actors involved that can influence this. And that's why it's tough to sell (or buy) right now with any confidence.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Bankruptcies will definitely happen. Nobody can expect a total worldwide shutdown. But any company without any significant positive cashflow balance is in deep shit.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Yeah pulling out now is foolish. Ideally, you'd want to pull out at the early signs of a recession and dump it back in when you feel the market is starting to recover. Just make sure the companies you are invested in aren't at risk of bankruptcy and wait it out.

Smart move would be to move anything you feel is at risk to a company that is guaranteed to be bailed out or is sitting on a lot of money. Ive got my eye on a few gems right now but I don't think we've approached the lows just yet

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
2 years of isolation? Euh, ya, no. That would be impossible. I don't see how that's even feasible.
I don't think anything will be lifted at the end of this week, I think they will extend again for another 2 weeks.
2 years until the whole virus is taken care of. Don’t think it will be that long personally but I’d be prepared to be quarantined at least partially for a few months.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
So, one thing I've noticed is that as more and more nations get this virus and report their numbers, it seems like the death rate is between 4-6%, which further suggests that China and Iran weren't accurately reporting their numbers.

Reactions: scrubadam

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Yeah pulling out now is foolish. Ideally, you'd want to pull out at the early signs of a recession and dump it back in when you feel the market is starting to recover. Just make sure the companies you are invested in aren't at risk of bankruptcy and wait it out.

Smart move would be to move anything you feel is at risk to a company that is guaranteed to be bailed out or is sitting on a lot of money. Ive got my eye on a few gems right now but I don't think we've approached the lows just yet

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad