OT: 2019-nCov (Part 6) QuaranSpring Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
ha ha , bread and butter pickles ,i loveee them, bottle in my fridge right now.......my mother makes them every year ,when i visit I take bottles of them back to my home every year...I got a bunch of bottles in stock here...lol..

yup there very good...i even use the left over pickle juice in cooking

I am proud to say that I have 2 pickles scars on my body. After I split from the ex I lived in an apartment that was on the top floor and there were little insulation so it got really hot in the summer (I had the AC in the bedroom). I was making regular Swedish bread and butter pickles and after you cut them up (or if you use whole you prick them gently) and store them in salt and ice for 24 hours, then you cook up the brine which has quite a bit of sugar which means it feels syrupy and unlike water which burns you but cool up quickly the syrup burns you much longer. I had lounge pants on, a robe that was open and flip flops. The ladle was in the boiling pot then I stumbled and while correcting the stumble I hit the ladle with my hand which catapulted boiling pickle slices over me, one piece fell on the waist string of my pants and got stuck right next to my navel, another fell on top of my left foot, exactly where the skin is the thinnest. I took a few steps towards the faucet to pour cold water on them and since it was so hot it took like 2-3 minutes for the water to be cold and the water I used immediately was warm to the touch. So now I have 2 scars, one next to my navel and one on top of my left foot and if some mistresses would ask I tell them that I got burned by pickles. :)

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Not saying it will go away in 14 days, but it's the initial date they set, so let's see what happens then.
If there is no flattening of the curve, then they might extend the quarantine. At some point though, people will need to be out and about, businesses will need to reopen.
Keeping people inside and closing everything save for groceries and the essential likes, banning any type gathering over 2 people, those aren't sustainable solutions.
So, they gave themselves 14 days to come up with ideas on how to improve society, I assume that's what they're doing now and not focused on seclusion.
In China when crap went down, they built hospitals, created apps to track the travelers/sick, tissues to use on often touched things like elevator buttons, security checks in front of every big building and throughout the city.
Same in Korea, they just started testing everyone like crazy and were able to contain it.

They're adding more drive-through clinics, they're putting barriers in front of IGA tellers, limiting the amount of people who can go in at the same time, making people disinfect their hands before entering stores, etc...We need more measures like these so we can get back to a more normal way of life.

Let's close everything, prevent people from seeing each other, businesses shut down, unemployment rise, that's not a solution. I don't think they can keep this on past mid-april..people are always going nuts a week into social distance.
2 weeks is a pipe dream. We will be lucky if it is only 2 months. Some people thinking as much as 2 years

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I am proud to say that I have 2 pickles scars on my body. After I split from the ex I lived in an apartment that was on the top floor and there were little insulation so it got really hot in the summer (I had the AC in the bedroom). I was making regular Swedish bread and butter pickles and after you cut them up (of if you use whole you prick them gently) and store them is salt and ice for 24 hours, then you cook up the brine which has quite a bit of sugar which means it feel syrupy and unlike water which burns you but cool up quickly whereas the syrup burns you much longer. I had lounge pants on, a robe that was open and flip flops. The ladle was in the boiling pot then I stumbled and while correcting the stumble I hit the ladle with my hand which catapulted boiling pickle slices over me, one piece fell on the one the waist string of my pants and got stuck right next to my navel, another fell on top of my left foot, exactly where the skin is the thinnest. I took a few steps towards the faucet to pour cold water on them and since it was so hot it took like 2-3 minutes for the water to be cold and the water I used immediately was warm, to the touch. So now I have 2 scars, one next to my navel and one on top of my left foot and if some mistresses would ask I tell them that I got burned by pickles. :)

lol..

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
While I agree that Canada may have a better shot at containment like China seems to have done, there's a pretty massive cultural divide at play here. People in China take quasi-lockdowns seriously, wear masks, and more easily give up customs like shaking hands--part of this owed to living in an authoritarian system, and part of it from having experienced other pandemics on a more first-hand basis.

Sure, I can agree with that, but I think having Canada (and Qc more specifically) act as quickly as they did to put in some serious measures is incredibly key. A lot of places in China they had no lockdowns or even travel bans.
We have more work to do here, but it's good we took some of these measures this early.

Reactions: Mike8 and DavePeak

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
2 weeks is a pipe dream. We will be lucky if it is only 2 months. Some people thinking as much as 2 years
2 years of isolation? Euh, ya, no. That would be impossible. I don't see how that's even feasible.
I don't think anything will be lifted at the end of this week, I think they will extend again for another 2 weeks.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
2 years of isolation? Euh, ya, no. That would be impossible. I don't see how that's even feasible.
I don't think anything will be lifted at the end of this week, I think they will extend again for another 2 weeks.

I just read Spain just extended for another 15 days? calling in military to enforce it to.

I think that is the plan.....to come out and say were goona lock you all down now for 6 months straight , people would be like ok my goodness what?...but they used terms like "weeks to months"........it gives people hope to believe it's only goona be a few weeks...when in reality the gov't knows it goona be many months...

When i heard the New York Governor say point blank today 6 to 8 month lock down , i was like yikes....he wasn't sugar coating it .....

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Do we have to apply for EI ourselves or is the gov. gonna send us something to fill out by mail?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
i just read Spain extended for another 15 days?

I think that is the plan.....to come out and say were goona lock you all down now for 6 months , people would be like ok my...but they used terms like "weeks to months"........

When i heard the New York Governor say point blank today 6 to 8 month lock down , i was like yikes....he wasn't sugar coating it .....

As I mentioned before, I don't think people can just name a country or state and use that as a comparison. Spain, like a lot of other EU countries were slow to react.
New York state as a bit over half the entire population of Canada while being a whopping 82 times smaller. The odds of a rapid spread is going to much higher when you have infected people thrown in the middle of a highly dense area like New York.
Add this to the fact they acted very slowly in the USA to put in measures. They're going by over 1000 new cases daily in just NY.
Even yesterday as tanks were rolling into the city, the streets were pretty busy with pedestrians.

I had to go to the bank today in Laval, went to a branch a bit further away to enjoy a car ride...Was out 30 minutes...I saw maybe 5-6 people in the streets and very few cars.
I don't think we're going to be hit as much as all these other areas where it's more dramatic.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Interesting, i know it's 2020 but not everyone owns a computer or actually knows how to use one properly (usually older workers). That's why i thought they'd send something by mail.

TT1...the only other option is to show up in person ....Online or in person...

(from the article)
Workers can also now have the one-week waiting period waived by calling 1-833-381-2725. People can also apply in person at a Service Canada location, but the government is advising those who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms to remain at home.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Legault said in his last presser that everything is locked down until May 1st (extended from March 30th previously)

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Legault said in his last presser that everything is locked down until May 1st (extended from March 30th previously)

then when we get closer to May1st...lock downs get extended again...

I'm watching the Olympics...if they cancel those July24th...that means the world still not goona be deemed safe...which means lock downs in areas ,could still be on going...

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
As I mentioned before, I don't think people can just name a country or state and use that as a comparison. Spain, like a lot of other EU countries were slow to react.
New York state as a bit over half the entire population of Canada while being a whopping 82 times smaller. The odds of a rapid spread is going to much higher when you have infected people thrown in the middle of a highly dense area like New York.
Add this to the fact they acted very slowly in the USA to put in measures. They're going by over 1000 new cases daily in just NY.
Even yesterday as tanks were rolling into the city, the streets were pretty busy with pedestrians.

I had to go to the bank today in Laval, went to a branch a bit further away to enjoy a car ride...Was out 30 minutes...I saw maybe 5-6 people in the streets and very few cars.
I don't think we're going to be hit as much as all these other areas where it's more dramatic.

Not the case in Toronto or Vancouver. Lots of pedestrians out in Toronto. And, as mentioned earlier this thread, people out in Stanley Park and beaches in Vancouver.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
then when we get closer to May1st...lock down get extended again...

I'm watching the Olympics...if they cancel those July24th...that means the world still not goona be deemed safe...which means locked downs in areas could still be on going...

I'm happy with how it's being handled tbh, we have to focus on flattening the curve to avoid exponential growth until we can return to some sort of "normalcy". Imo people are gradually gonna go back to work in 1-2 months.

We're essentially buying ourselves a ton of time and putting less strain on our hospitals (until a vaccine is out in ~a year+). Gotta suck it up and think about keeping our friends and family safe, everyone's in this together.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

I really hope you're right ...let's all hope that is the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm happy with how it's being handled tbh, we have to focus on flattening the curve/avoid exponential growth until we can return to some sort of "normalcy".

We're essentially buying ourselves a ton of time and putting less strain on our hospitals (until a vaccine is out in ~a year+).

yup for sure....but as i said days ago, obviously the heat doesn't fully kill this virus...Florida is getting now 30c temps and people in Florida are getting the virus.........so ,could it linger and fire up again? we dunno ..let's hope not...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
yup for sure....but as i said days ago, obviously the heat doesn't fully kill this virus...Florida is getting now with 30c temps and people in Flordia are getting the virus.........so ,could it linger and fire up again? we dunno ..let's hope not.

yes this has been proven a while back

We need to focus on what we can control, we have to stay ahead of the spread so we can control it. As a society that's really the only thing we should be focused on.

Reactions: Habaneros

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Not the case in Toronto or Vancouver. Lots of pedestrians out in Toronto. And, as mentioned earlier this thread, people out in Stanley Park and beaches in Vancouver.

ya i seen that ..beach full..couldn't barely get a parking spot there ....

Lots of idiot out there....read a story today, teens in Germany or Italy?/ not sure can't remember right now, but ..anyways teens going around deliberately coughing in older peoples faces ..then saying "Corona"....and laughing about it ...

what a mixed up world ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad