HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They will have injuries for sure, pretty much unavoidable.
Yes, but before a Chaput level player comes in, you need 3 injuries at forward and that's if Evans/Poehling/Suzuki/McCarron are not called upon.

Domi/Drouin/Gallagher
Danault/Tatar/Lehkonen
Byron/KK/Armia
Cousins/Thompson/Weal
Hudon/Peca
Belzile/Varone/Barber ---- Here is the Chaput/Agostino/Carr level replacement
Weise

Way deeper than last year.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
IIRC, he used to be pretty good on faceoffs at Notre Dame + he's a right handed center, something the Habs don't have.

So with a good camp, he's got an "in" to make the roster.

Same thing with McCarron to a certain degree, he like Evans is right handed, decent on faceoffs and above all, he's got size which is rare among Habs forwards.

But both will need very strong camps

Evans would have to beat out Weal and Suzuki and though Evans looks better and improved,not enough to supplant those others.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What do you expect depth players to be? Jake Guentzel? Phil Kessel?

Yeah Guentzel is a perfect example of where I want my depth to come from, the youngest players while they improve in our system. The ship has sailed on the group you brought up IMO.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah Guentzel is a perfect example of where I want my depth to come from, the youngest players while they improve in our system. The ship has sailed on the group you brought up IMO.
You need both. Luckily we also have Poehling/Suzuki/Evans and McCarron.

Reactions: butch_sb

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes, but before a Chaput level player comes in, you need 3 injuries at forward and that's if Evans/Poehling/Suzuki/McCarron are not called upon.

Domi/Drouin/Gallagher
Danault/Tatar/Lehkonen
Byron/KK/Armia
Cousins/Thompson/Weal
Hudon/Peca
Belzile/Varone/Barber ---- Here is the Chaput/Agostino/Carr level replacement
Weise

Way deeper than last year.

Really?

Domi/Drouin/Shaw
Danault/Tatar/Gally
Lek/KK/Armia
Byron/Plek/DLo

Id say top-12 is at best a wash, arguably a downgrade as Shaw is notably better than anyone we brought in, pushes Byron to 4th (better than weal),
Pleks = Thompson,
Cousins > DLo maybe :dunno:

After that:
Hudon/Peca = same

& Then
Weise, barber, varone vs Agostino, DLR, Chaput... Meh, no real difference.

Poehling/Suzuki are the wild cards, certainly hope they shine, but neither are likely to be as good this year as Shaw was last year....

After that, any improvement in depth is really more about progression than personnel... Definitely no case to be made that it's "way" better depth than last year unless I'm missing something huge?

Reactions: Whitesnake

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Victor Mete interviewed by 690 the other day: worked out with Domi a lot this summer. Now weighs 190 lbs. and trained at that weight all summer. Spoke about the shooting coach he worked with and how he'd like to continue being paired with Weber (kind of predictable, who wouldn't want to assume a first pairing role and play with Weber).

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mete-i-love-playing-next-to-weber-1.1362756

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Victor Mete interviewed by 690 the other day: worked out with Domi a lot this summer. Now weighs 190 lbs. and trained at that weight all summer. Spoke about the shooting coach he worked with and how he'd like to continue being paired with Weber (kind of predictable, who wouldn't want to assume a first pairing role and play with Weber).

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mete-i-love-playing-next-to-weber-1.1362756

Good. He needed to get bigger and stronger.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Really?

Domi/Drouin/Shaw
Danault/Tatar/Gally
Lek/KK/Armia
Byron/Plek/DLo

Id say top-12 is at best a wash, arguably a downgrade as Shaw is notably better than anyone we brought in, pushes Byron to 4th (better than weal),
Pleks = Thompson,
Cousins > DLo maybe :dunno:

After that:
Hudon/Peca = same

& Then
Weise, barber, varone vs Agostino, DLR, Chaput... Meh, no real difference.

Poehling/Suzuki are the wild cards, certainly hope they shine, but neither are likely to be as good this year as Shaw was last year....

After that, any improvement in depth is really more about progression than personnel... Definitely no case to be made that it's "way" better depth than last year unless I'm missing something huge?
Top6 is potentially worse but Thompson is way better than Plek/Chaput. Cousins is better than Agostino/DLo. Weal is better than Peca. Peca is better than Froese. Varone is better than Weise.

We are deeper, but the top is potentially worse. The point was that Chaput level player will play a lot less games than last year if any.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can't wait for the battle of the 4th line. They should only dressed 4th liners every single game. We have enough to have 4 lines of 4th liners...may the best win!

They could do split squad games on the same night and they'd have enough to dress for both games.

Peca, Thompson, Weise, Cousins, Weal, Belzile, Varone, Barber, Vejdemo, Evans, McCarron, Hudon, Waked, Alain, Verbeek, Pezzetta...

Reactions: Rapala

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We will finally know Kotkaniemi muscle weight gain.

He looked pretty strong in that CBC video, especially given the fact that he had some surgery on his left knee in April. If I'm not wrong he was repping at least 315 for squats which, in the big picture, isn't insane, but it's a respectable amount of weight.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Top6 is potentially worse but Thompson is way better than Plek/Chaput. Cousins is better than Agostino/DLo. Weal is better than Peca. Peca is better than Froese. Varone is better than Weise.

We are deeper, but the top is potentially worse. The point was that Chaput level player will play a lot less games than last year if any.

Meh... Don't agree with your assessment, but in any event, wether Chaput, Froese, Peca, Pleks, Thompson et. is playing 10-12min a night has little impact on our success.

"Depth" talk that ignores the top-9 is pretty inconsequential imo

Reactions: habsfan891

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Tomorrow is the first day of camp on the ice. I can't wait to read medias who are right in Brossard not being able to report the lines properly with the right players at the right position.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Evans would have to beat out Weal and Suzuki and though Evans looks better and improved,not enough to supplant those others.
Coaches will almost always go with who’s ready, not potential. If they deem Evans to be ready, he’d beat out Suzuki. Especially considering Evans would play a different role than Suzuki.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Can't wait for the battle of the 4th line. They should only dressed 4th liners every single game. We have enough to have 4 lines of 4th liners...may the best win!
Everyone makes jokes but you need a strong 4th line. Those guys take a beating and it doesn’t hurt to have a few competing for spots.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
The worse is that you are right. People are fixated with round numbers.

I am also a victim of that flaw I am afraid, but at least I can think rationally when it comes to height and weight lol

It always cracked me up to see the huge difference in perspective half an inch or a few pounds make for hockey players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I would be very happy if Hudon has in fact increased his speed and can win a job on the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad