HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sometimes a poor attitude is evident on the ice. Drouin, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu... and then you hear the stories off the ice... (outside of Drouin).

So what you hear off the ice is sometimes exactly what we hear about how management is poor at making decisions. We don't know for sure either way. Then...on the ice....well again, no you don't. 'Cause you don't know if they have poor attitude on their own...or if they are not f***ed up by the coaching staff decisions that makes him look bad and the kids lose their confidence. No idea why people keep downplaying confidence at that level....

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Maybe Suzuki can take over from Domi - that's debatable. But Poehling will never replace Domi. He'll replace Danault - maybe. And for KK he hasn't shown me the offense you guys are raving about. I see him as #2 C. So we have

Domi
KK
Danault

as our centers and in that order. So whatever prospect center comes along he will have to play better than those centers in their designated roles. None of Suzuki, Poehling or Evans have done that yet.
I'd personally take either KK or suzuki over Danault today on offensive merit alone not to mention they are both solid defensively so Danault should be traded at the deadline imo considering he will be number 4 on the depth chart maybe even number 5 as early as next year

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
While one can question the signing of Chariot, the last thing this team needed was reacquiring an expensive, aging and diminishing asset.
One year removed from a Norris nom.

Last year he had a nerve issue. He was unable to lift his leg all the way up on occassion. That issue has passed and there's no reason to believe it will return. Very good chance he returns to form this year.

At a minimum it would've been a great gamble to take and all it would've cost us was the cap space we're going to waste anyway.

And the thing is, up front we have some promising players. There is something to be happy about there. Watching Suzuki and Poehling is fun. And it's going to be fun watching them develop. But missing the playoffs by two points with the cap space we had and our GM doing nothing is unacceptable. And he did nothing over the summer to fix it.

We've got a good young team coming up but it would be so much better if we fixed our issues. If we did that we might actually see the postseason again. Dare to dream.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Can’t believe there are still people that believe the “natural position” myth.

Seriously, you would have thought this line of thought died with the Galchenyuk trade. Tens of thousands of posts on why he was a “natural” centre lol. Suzuki is the polar opposite to Galch but they are both nautural centres? Ok

Not everony can play C but anyone that can play C can excel at wing. It’s an EASIER position. Chemistry with your linemates, systems, utilization are all far more important then forward position.

While I agree Suzuki looks good at C, I would bet everything I own he would look great at RW assuming he has good linemates and utilization. The league is full of incredible wingers and I can live with him being a productive winger, considering how deep we are at C. Guys, take that in, we are deep at C, thats all that matters.

For Suzuki, it's mostly an analysis based on the fact that he seems to be more a puck distributor and that a scorer. At least that's the analysis to what he could do at that level. Which then makes people think that he should be a C as this is usually what C does...distribute the puck, see the ice well etc. I agree that a great player should be great all around. But at this point, we have to use our players at the maximum of their capacity.

What you just mentioned, for me, makes more sense for Poehling than it does for Suzuki. But I could see it either way.

Reactions: japhi

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So what you hear off the ice is sometimes exactly what we hear about how management is poor at making decisions. We don't know for sure either way. Then...on the ice....well again, no you don't. 'Cause you don't know if they have poor attitude on their own...or if they are not ****ed up by the coaching staff decisions that makes him look bad and the kids lose their confidence. No idea why people keep downplaying confidence at that level....
Or maybe you just aren’t capable of admitting you were wrong about a prospect.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd personally take either KK or suzuki over Danault today on offensive merit alone not to mention they are both solid defensively so Danault should be traded at the deadline imo considering he will be number 4 on the depth chart maybe even number 5 as early as next year
Today or in the future? Dannault is a better player than Suzuki is today. On KK, I think you might be right. I'd have him as a top five player for us. Most probably wouldn't, but I'm bullish on him this year.

I think Suzuki's probably going to spend the opener in the AHL and eventually get called up. Hopefully he forces us to keep him up. That would be awesome. He's looked good in camp.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
That's what the trade proposal thread is for. Bottom line is that you want to derail the main point - our GM is quite happy to sit there with huge holes on his roster and make excuses for his own inaction. That's not what you want in a GM.

There are tons of blueliners who've been rumoured to be available right now. We just don't want to pay the price. Our GM is cheap. That's why he played games with Radulov's contract and we watched him and Markov walk.

His "trades are hard" and "nobody is available" lines are crap. Other GMs are able to do this. There's no reason we can't.
McPhee made a trade last year with MB. It wasn't hard for him but it weakened his team. The Coyotes also traded with MB and weakened their team. Maybe what MB should say is that it's hard to win a trade so you have to be careful or nobody of value is available.

You originally said Petry for a left defense. When pressed on the issue you made it Nurse for Petry ++. Still vague but not as vague as your initial post. The reason I pressed you on an example is that you might be creating more and bigger holes with your trade. I suspect you know that and it's one of the reasons you want to stay vague. So depending on what your ++ will be, you may solve the left D and create holes in your 2nd line. Also, you trade Petry and you got what on your right side? Weber, an inexperienced Fleury and Folin? How did you improve your team?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
[QUOTE="He's among the worst GMs this team has ever had.[/QUOTE]

That's akin to the time Henri Richard stated that Al McNeil was the worst coach he ever played for. When you consider that his only other coaches were Toe Blake and Claude Ruel, that's hardly condemnatory on its face. If you want to talk about bad, you don't have to look further than Rejean Houle: the Forest Gump of NHL General Managers. Dealing with the affable Mr. Houle was like taking candy from a baby.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
[QUOTE="He's among the worst GMs this team has ever had.

That's akin to the time Henri Richard called Al McNeil the worst coach he ever played for. When you consider that his only other coaches were Toe Blake and Claude Ruel, that's hardly condemnatory on its face. If you want to talk about bad, you don't have to look further than Rejean Houle: the Forest Gump of NHL General Managers. Dealing with the affable Mr. Houle was like taking candy from a baby.[/QUOTE]

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
McPhee made a trade last year with MB. It wasn't hard for him but it weakened his team. The Coyotes also traded with MB and weakened their team. Maybe what MB should say is that it's hard to win a trade so you have to be careful or nobody of value is available.

You originally said Petry for a left defense. When pressed on the issue you made it Nurse for Petry ++. Still vague but not as vague as your initial post. The reason I pressed you on an example is that you might be creating more and bigger holes with your trade. I suspect you know that and it's one of the reasons you want to stay vague. So depending on what your ++ will be, you may solve the left D and create holes in your 2nd line. Also, you trade Petry and you got what on your right side? Weber, an inexperienced Fleury and Folin? How did you improve your team?
I don't care how you get the LD. If it's Drouin for him, that's fine too. My point (and you are trying hard to avoid it) is that adding PK makes Petry expendable and a trade chip. He can be packaged together for a LD or something else if we get the LD from some other avenue. I really don't care how it's done.

You keep trying to make this into a proposal discussion... that's what I called the poster out for. You're trying to make it seem like "they're not available"... yes they are. You just have to be creative about getting them.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's akin to the time Henri Richard called Al McNeil the worst coach he ever played for. When you consider that his only other coaches were Toe Blake and Claude Ruel, that's hardly condemnatory on its face. If you want to talk about bad, you don't have to look further than Rejean Houle: the Forest Gump of NHL General Managers. Dealing with the affable Mr. Houle was like taking candy from a baby.
There's a whole thread on worst GM of all time. You can sift through things there.

Right now it's a mixed bag. I'm excited about some of the young talent we have. I do think we could actually go somewhere if we fixed the D. It's just frustrating watching us go through another year with huge holes on the backend and doing nothing about it.

The good news is that Poehling and Suzuki look ready to jump in. I think Suzuki should probably get a little AHL seasoning but even if he doesn't, they look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->