HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I liked Hawel at the development camp, was one of the good invitees so glad he stuck around.

Here's some info on him from Brock (OHL prospects).
From summer of 2018: OHL Prospects: 31 Teams in 31 Days - Dallas Stars

Based on article from Godin, he knows that he has to play more of a grinder game. Not good enough to play a fancy game.

He was also surprised how unlike the Stars who's focus during those camps is skills, the Habs put a large focus on work ethic and tools that can be used down the road.

Reactions: 417

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Exciting outcome if these are the lines, especially with Byron in there, who is a stalwart on PK. I'm all for deploying as much talent as possible, even if some of it is a short on pro experience. Suzuki has the intelligence to adapt and now the size to put up with the pro game; hopefully his skating instruction has endowed him with another gear. If these are indeed the lines, I can envision KK having a big year, above 60 points and maybe even 70, especially with a starring role on the PP. Tremendous depth in the forward corps.

Expecting Kotkaniemi to go from 36 pts to 60-70 at 19 y old is not realistic, nor putting him on the 2nd line right away. Barkov-like development would be more likely IMO.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I’m hearing a lot of analysts talking about kk getting a top 6 role, effectively shifting Domi who had a record year at centre, to the left wing.

I’m not sure I like the idea of messing with something that isn’t broken, but if that’s the case, the third C spot may open up for Poehling. This starts to get very interesting with 2 very good top lines and maybe even a chance for Suzuki

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Domi-KK-Drouin
Armia-Poehling-Suzuki
Lehkonen-Weal-Thompson

Extras: Hudon, Cousins
I doubt very much Claude is going to move Domi to the wing. At least not this season. But if he does it ain't going to be for Poehling. He's a #3 center - not a top 6 center. Also, if the rookie games were any indications I'd say the players ready to step up to the NHL are:
Evans
Suzuki
Poehling.
and in that order.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Expecting Kotkaniemi to go from 36 pts to 60-70 at 19 y old is not realistic, nor putting him on the 2nd line right away. Barkov-like development would be more likely IMO.

Barkov played on the top 6 at 19yo and put up 60 points…..so yeah, it's realistic.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I doubt very much Claude is going to move Domi to the wing. At least not this season. But if he does it ain't going to be for Poehling. He's a #3 center - not a top 6 center. Also, if the rookie games were any indications I'd say the players ready to step up to the NHL are:
Evans
Suzuki
Poehling.
In that order.

Poehling is projected as a 3rd line center, i agree with that assessment.
But you never know what you have until you try, we shouldn't paint players into a role without seeing what they can do.

O'reilly was also projected as a 3rd line center….
McCarron was also seen as a 3rd line center….

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Poehling is projected as a 3rd line center, i agree with that assessment.
But you never know what you have until you try, we shouldn't paint players into a role without seeing what they can do.

O'reilly was also projected as a 3rd line center….
McCarron was also seen as a 3rd line center….
I don't know how much more you have to see. Poehling's skill set will make Danault expendable.....maybe. Never in a thousand years will it make Domi expendable. Also, right now, I see Evans and Suzuki ahead of Poehling. Evans also doesn't have the skill set to move Domi. Suzuki might but it ain't going to be this year and that's if it ever happens.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

- CUTS -
Rafaël Harvey-Pinard sent back to Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)
Samuel Houde sent back to Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)
Cole Fonstad sent back to Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
Cam Hillis sent back to Guelph Storm (OHL)
Jacob LeGuerrier sent back to Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
Allan McShane sent back to Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Why are the bolded cut? Have they showed so little progression that they are not in the plans already or is there some other reason like relations with junior teams?

I'm just curious as I'd have thought these guys would get a preferential treatment over the likes of Antoine Waked, Nikita Jevpalov, William Pelletier, etc. who are 99% sure gonna be non-factors short and long term with the big team?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't know how much more you have to see. Poehling's skill set will make Danault expendable.....maybe. Never in a thousand years will it make Domi expendable. Also, right now, I see Evans and Suzuki ahead of Poehling. Evans also doesn't have the skill set to move Domi. Suzuki might but it ain't going to be this year and that's if it ever happens.

I guess you're right….but the problem with me is i don't paint Domi as a center yet.

Reactions: Rapala

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Why are the bolded cut? Have they showed so little progression that they are not in the plans already or is there some other reason like relations with junior teams?

I'm just curious as I'd have thought these guys would get a preferential treatment over the likes of Antoine Waked, Nikita Jevpalov, William Pelletier, etc. who are 99% sure gonna be non-factors short and long term with the big team?

Only 2 contract spots available….i think that's the only reason. Why sign them to one now and lose one year of their ELC while it's obvious none of them will play in the NHL and all of them are still under team's control

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

RHP had a good rookie camp but was sent back to finish his junior career in his hometown. Fonstad didn't do f*** all at rookie camp. McShane was alright but is not in any way going to compete for a roster spot. Hillis needs another year of junior after having his season wiped out by injury this year.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Only 2 contract spots available….i think that's the only reason. Why sign them to one now and lose one year of their ELC while it's obvious none of them will play in the NHL and all of them are still under team's control

Sorry I did not know they needed an NHL (or AHL) contract to be in the main camp. That makes a lot of sense then thanks!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

RHP, Hillis, McShane, and Fonstad were sent back to Junior because that is where they will play significant minutes. Should they have remained at Habs camp, they'd be wasting these kids' time because they wouldn't be given much time.

As for Jevpalovs, Pelletier, and Waked, they're under contract. Jevpalovs and Pelletier under AHL deals and Waked on an ELC (though he won't crack the Habs). The junior players that were cut don't have a contract. And although there have been some prospects at camp who didn't have a contract, it's not common.

Also important to note that the players on AHL deals may be listed on the training camp roster, but they're usually grouped together and train separately from the main group.

Reactions: abo9

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

The only non-injured junior-bound player left is Hawel who is not Habs property so I guess they are on the fence about giving him a contract. I think you are reading way too much into this.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Of course, it's still speculative to put Kotka at 60+ points; I realize that. But if you factor in his playing on a line with explosive talent like Domi and Drouin, as well as being handed a plum role on the PP, it is not unreasonable at all. He would not be given these opportunities because of double standards either. The kid is tremendously talented and poised. Also, he put in a lot of work this summer and it shows: he is in a much better position to compete physically, and it make give him another gear as well from a skating standpoint. Given these factors, 60 is not that much a stretch, and 70 is no longer absurd.

Edit, if we get this kind of production from Kotka as our 2C, while Poehling 3C is roughly equal to Kotka last year and 1C Danault continues to improve, I can envision a playoffs spot. Channeling my inner SBah.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Of course, it's still speculative to put Kotka at 60+ points; I realize that. But if you factor in his playing on a line with explosive talent like Domi and Drouin, as well as being handed a plum role on the PP, it is not unreasonable at all. He would not be given these opportunities because of double standards either. The kid is tremendously talented and poised. Also, he put in a lot of work this summer and it shows: he is in a much better position to compete physically, and it make give him another gear as well from a skating standpoint. Given these factors, 60 is not that much a stretch, and 70 is no longer absurd.

Edit, if we get this kind of production from Kotka as our 2C, while Poehling 3C is roughly equal to Kotka last year and 1C Danault continues to improve, I can envision a playoffs spot. Channeling my inner SBah.

So since I totally forget about Byron, our potential lines start to look even more interesting. Kind of reminds me of Vegas first year when they made it to the finals. No clear number 1 lines but 4 very good and equally used second lines running wave after wave of pressure. I’m liking it. Of course, Poehling and Suzuki have to prove that they’re better than that the extra forwards.

Tatar-Danault-Gally
Domi-Kk-Drouin
Suzuki-Poehling-Byron
Lehkonen-Weal-Armia

Extras: Hudon, Thompson, Cousins, Mccarron

JerryBettman

Aug 7, 2019

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Think by the time the season started he was 18 years old in his rookie year correct me if im wrong but pretty sure the way the draft is set up it's not possible to be 17 and play an NHL game
Correct...Barkov was 17 when he was drafted but his birthday is September 2nd, which means he had turned 18 by the time the NHL season had begun in early October.

Reactions: Victorius

Jul 6, 2016

You don't need your AHL team to have 20 players with NHL potential. No organization have that anyway.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad