GDT: 2019 IIHF U18 Tournament

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wish Dach was at this tournament to compare all 3 of the WHL centers. Cozens playing the wing and not looking as good as Krebs isnt making me feel great about him. I would've liked to see Dach out here as well to get a better look at all 3 on the same team.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Zegras is now about on pace with where he's been this last year. He's still less productive than Turcotte who is continuing to have a big year. Boldy and Caufield though are having major breakouts in offense. I have to think those two are bringing their draft rankings up. Especially Caufield who was ranked somewhere in the teens but is now out producing Jack Hughes. Pretty amazing jump!

Podkolzin, one assist through four games. I'm starting to see him as a big project instead of someone who can help an NHL team soon. I have to also wonder if teams drafting among the first 10 will want to risk Podkolzin being a bust, when there seem to be so many other choices to feel confident about, York, Caufield, Zegras, Krebs, Newhook, Turcotte, Boldy, Cozens, Dach, Byram, and so on. Podkolzin needs to start tearing it up.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Podkolzin is big risk big reward type of prospect. He's not team player , he likes to do everything by himself. If he was little bit faster he would be unstoppable. He is not kind of player I want for my team

Reactions: DetroitRed
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Hughes is so skilled. And yet from a physical perspective, we haven't had a less developed 1st overall in a while now. I remember when Kane was drafted, he was smaller, but he mostly kept himself out of situations where he'd be outmuscled. Sometimes it seems like Hughes doesn't care to do that. His first pro camp might be an eye opener.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

P.S. If you missed any games, our Taiwanese friends seem to have it covered. Check the channel.

I was really hoping Cozens wasn't the primary assist, just so I could have a way to justify him being down on my board, but that was a really nice feed to Krebs at the crease.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Have to say I find it mildly concerning that Turcotte in two consecutive games (which his team won by a combined 13-1) he wasn't able to record a single point.

Zegras returns to the lineup and records 7 assists in 4 games, including 4 today against a quality Finland team.

Krebs scores on a really weird faceoff. The Latvian centerman kind of won the faceoff into his own goal.

Wow, Krebs has 5 goals. Shows he can score. Leading Canada in goals and tied for the points lead (with Newhook).

Just a steady player who produces regardless of circumstances, but when the circumstances are prime, he takes on a new level.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
His vision and playmaking ability were on full display tonight. I was not as high on him a few weeks/months ago, but he looked impressive in these 4 games. I see what @Hen Kolland mentioned that Zegras is a kind of player we don't have in our system. Great skater and a pure playmaker.

I'll take whatever compliments people are willing to give me nowadays. I had cooled off on him as I took time watch the WHL centers a little closer, but since returning in U18s, he's right back in the mix again. Probably the second best pure playmaker in the draft behind Hughes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Have to say I find it mildly concerning that Turcotte in two consecutive games (which his team won by a combined 13-1) he wasn't able to record a single point.

It helps when you are stapled to Jack Hughes, who was absolutely possessed in that game.

Zegras returns to the lineup and records 7 assists in 4 games, including 4 today against a quality Finland team.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Canada was rrrreally not the best today. Krebs comes away with two goals, but maybe not the ones you'd put on a highlight reel.

6 goals and 3 assists in 5 games for Krebs. Highest scorer not on Team USA.

One thing about him too is that it seems like Canadas top play is basically running through him and he makes a lot of nice plays while hes at it. People saying he doesnt have good vision or offensive upside are missing something I think. Why else would the Canadian coaches have the PP running through him like that?

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Christien

May 1, 2010
Big game tomorrow morning: USA Vs Russia. It's going to be on NHL Network at 9:30 AM for anyone wanting to get a good look at Podkolzin, Turcotte, Zegras etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad