GDT: 2019 Grey Cup CHAMPIONS - WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
They have a respected OC getting a chance as their HC, and a GM who won a Cup just a couple years ago those have to be positives if you are a QB who has confidence in himself.

That and Ottawa offered a signing bonus that Toronto probably would have balked at (around 200-225k).

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
That and Ottawa offered a signing bonus that Toronto probably would have balked at (around 200-225k).
Meh. Is his total salary out?

I liked the price on Collaros. Somewhere in the middle I believe.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Meh. Is his total salary out?

I liked the price on Collaros. Somewhere in the middle I believe.

I think it was reported around 490k first year for Arbuckle and a little above 500k in the second, I might be remembering wrong though.

Collaros signed for around lower-middle rate for starters, 5th-6th highest overall and more than Nichols the past few years and less incentive based.

For comparables at the top end Reilly signed 4 years hovering around 700k in each season with BC and Bo-Levi Mitchell signed for around the same but renegotiated to a lower amount this offseason apparently.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think it was reported around 490k first year for Arbuckle and a little above 500k in the second, I might be remembering wrong though.

Collaros signed for around lower-middle rate for starters, 5th-6th highest overall and more than Nichols the past few years and less incentive based.

For comparables at the top end Reilly signed 4 years hovering around 700k in each season with BC and Bo-Levi Mitchell signed for around the same but renegotiated to a lower amount this offseason apparently.
If they got Arbuckle for 500k they did well regardless of up front cash.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Apparently Streveler get 100k up front from Cards. That's a massive signing bonus for a CFL player, he has a legit chance to stick. And honestly he probably would only have been in 100-150 range in salary in CFL. So good for him.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Apparently Streveler get 100k up front from Cards. That's a massive signing bonus for a CFL player, he has a legit chance to stick. And honestly he probably would only have been in 100-150 range in salary in CFL. So good for him.

Streveler is a long shot at best, he was signed because the current backup is an FA and unknown if can re-sign and then there’s the thing called the NFL draft in late April!

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Reports from Argoland that they will sign Nichols. I appreciate what Strev and Nichols gave to Winnipeg in the past Time to move on and see if we can repeat as Champs with Collaros

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And that's 100k USD to write his name on a piece of paper. The 100-150k is CDN. Good for him.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Streveler is a long shot at best, he was signed because the current backup is an FA and unknown if can re-sign and then there’s the thing called the NFL draft in late April!

I have to agree here. I don’t think Strev will stick, especially with the Cards. Not sure if they would want a guy like Strev backing up Kyler Murray. I thought the fit was odd in Arizona but you never know with the success that what’s his face had in New Orleans, Streveler might be able to do something

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Reports from Argoland that they will sign Nichols. I appreciate what Strev and Nichols gave to Winnipeg in the past Time to move on and see if we can repeat as Champs with Collaros
Done deal. I wish Matt all the best with the Argos...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
None of that was play call. LaPo even said as much a couple years ago saying there are always options to throw down field. I doubt Collaros got a different play book.

Nichols issue was not being able to extend a play. Streveler did the same thing, and Collaros did it a lot too - he just has a better arm. I don't doubt Nichols ability to throw the long ball.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Nichols is getting almost 2x as much salary as Thompson. His incentives could make the deal would over 100k more than he got with Winnipeg. He is the starter in Toronto no question. Should be interesting.
I'm not doubting you, but where did you see this?

I can't believe the Argos offered Nichols a penny over 300k. There was absolutely no need to. Nichols hands were tied

None

Feb 22, 2012

I can't believe the Argos offered Nichols a penny over 300k. There was absolutely no need to. Nichols hands were tied

350k base up to 560k with incentives according to Farhan Lalji.

What I remember is that the Bombers offer to Nichols before the 2019 season was a contract similar in structure to what he was playing on in previous seasons, basically just an extension. Nichols wanted more actual salary and less salary tied to performance, the Bombers balked.
I'm not sure if the Bombers would have had it in them to cut Nichols if he had signed an extension prior to 2019, even if the season's circumstances played out the same way with Collaros coming in after an injury to Matt.
It may end up being a blessing for the team that Nichols bet on himself, but there's a lot of question marks still with the rosters not set in stone yet.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

350k in salary with incentives up to 540k. He made 450k with Bombers last year. Thompson is around 200k with undisclosed incentives on top of that last I heard.

It was on twitter earlier today. Since twitter has been moronic and moved away from a straight timeline it's impossible to find it again. It was one of the tsn insider guys farhan or something.

EDIT: Yup Farhan Lalji tweeted Nichols contract details today. I'm going off memory with Thompson but I remember it being in that range, very low.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Nichols issue was not being able to extend a play. Streveler did the same thing, and Collaros did it a lot too - he just has a better arm. I don't doubt Nichols ability to throw the long ball.
Long ball wasn't a problem. The problem was he won't throw a 7-20 yard pass. Check check check. Those throws were there for him as much as they were there for Collaros.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Argos released DB Kevin Fogg yesterday. Much of the Bombers plans (particularly with regard to DE Craig Roh) likely revolve around DE Willie Jefferson and what he decides, but either way there should be money to add Fogg, IMO. It would give them a good veteran option to replace Sayles at strong side HB.

Also I feel like Bombers should get their big play WR fairly cheap. Darvin Adams, Derrel Walker, and SJ Green are all out there. How many teams will pay big money for an international WR? Not many and the Bombers desperately need one. I'm good with any of them.

Reactions: GNP and sipowicz

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Not the signing we were looking for but..................................

EQXFYDnXsAUfLwk

Reactions: The Blue Baron

None

Feb 22, 2012
Darvin Adams turned down more from Ottawa apparently (according to John Hodge).

Glad he's back, there should still be room under the cap for another top flight receiver depending on where Jefferson's contract lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille