GDT: 2019 Grey Cup CHAMPIONS - WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Can't argue it wasn't a great day today. Doubt the Bombers have much room left despite several players taking less so I don't think Bombers will be very busy tomorrow.

Lost in other news is a couple of Bombers appear to moving on. Longtime run stopping DT Drake Nevis sounds like he is signing with Toronto (he attended the Raptors game with Jefferson). International DT's aren't a particularly tough find among rookies, but Nevis has been a key reason the Bombers have had the best run D in the league the last 3-4 years and will be missed more than many know in the middle.

LB/DB Chandler Fenner is also moving on. Him and Gaitor saw their roles shrink as the year went on, why Gaitor eventually left the Bombers before playoffs. Not a big loss, but Fenner will likely get another deal in the CFL.

I'm guessing the Bombers also move on from Craig Roh. It's kinda unfortunate, but paying big money to 3 International DE's is hard to do. Roh is a guy who connected well with the fanbase off the field and will be starter somewhere this year, IMO.

The Couture news catches me a bit off guard. The Bombers interior OL is now very much overfilled with Neufeld, Speller, Desjarlais, Couture, Gray. All 5 are starter quality, IMO. Not sure how they will keep all of those guys happy since all 5 can start in the CFL. Still have Eli waiting in the wings as a potential all-star as well. Quite amazing to have that depth along the OL.

Many STers remain unsigned, I'm guessing Thomas Miles re-signs at some point.

The Bombers only real weakness right now is at DB, but not much available. My guess is Bombers target some depth pieces at DB, DL. Otherwise I wouldn't expect much from the next few days.
Losing Nevis would suck , i really liked him and his ability to stop the run . :(

Reactions: TS Quint

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Still think we have a bullet or 2 left in the chamber, might need to keep 1 for the guy or guys that we want to bring back if they don't make the NFL

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I know I in a minority here but for all out value give me Nevis all day over Jefferson. Jefferson might have been the best defensive player in the the league for 9 games but Nevis did the hard work every game.

I mean really, Is 265k any kind of a discount For a playoff team? Sure the Argos can offer more and he can miss out on the playoff money.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Holden is right that DTs are easier to find than DEs For the Bombers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Feoli-Gudino signing puzzling as well.

Good depth. The Bombers were playing it pretty risky last year with 2 National Starters at SB/WR in Demski and Wolitarsky and only one backup in Petermann after the release of Simonise. They needed another national WR and they got a guy they know and like as a backup.

I know I in a minority here but for all out value give me Nevis all day over Jefferson. Jefferson might have been the best defensive player in the the league for 9 games but Nevis did the hard work every game.

I mean really, Is 265k any kind of a discount For a playoff team? Sure the Argos can offer more and he can miss out on the playoff money.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Holden is right that DTs are easier to find than DEs For the Bombers.

That's...not what I said. In general international DL, WR, LB tend to be some of the easiest fits to find that come in and make an immediate impact on teams. Nevis has been a key leader and run stopper in the middle of that D. His loss will no doubt be felt. However just look at what guys like Richardson last year or Johnson the year before did (I know Johnson was more a pass rushing DT but still). It's not the hardest spot to fill with rookie internationals compared to elsewhere on the field. DT and DE aren't particularly hard spots to fill with competent international players. They are however hard to find elite players.

Also, just of note Hamilton with two high priced QB's and a near guarantee to re-appear in the Grey Cup next year also offered Jefferson more than the Bombers. It was a discount no doubt.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Nichols is just as injury prone as Collaros , except Collaros can actually throw a football . Don't forget Nichols had surgery on his throwing arm , who knows what his arm strength will be . We won the Cup with Collaros , we couldn't with Nichols .

Well, I think there wouldn't be much difference between the 2 quarterbacks. The biggest difference is Collaros is more mobile and can throw on the run, and is also good with the deep ball throw. He will also throw a lot more interceptions than Nichols-- mid range throws --I have no doubt about it.

We won the Cup with Collaros and Streveler --true, but we would have won it with Nichols and Steveler in there as well --as it was the "defense" and the dominate run game of the Bombers,with Harris that won that game for us. Collaros made some nice throws as well. He doesn't impress me with his mid range passes, as he seems to throw right into the defenders hands. We'll see how he works out. I wouldn't get to excited about the guy. It will be our run game, and the strong defense again this year, that will make us a winner.

Bottom line -- in my mind there both about equal value, and both very injury prone. I think the Bombers should look down South and try and recruit an up and coming Arbuckle type guy for a backup quarterback --as I believe we'll need one. We really need a backup QB -I hope the Bomber brass, is working on that.

It's not to often you see a CFL team win a Grey Cup with an average QB --and we just saw it happen. Sort of like the Ravens in the NFL winning with a strong defense and Joe Flacco as quarterback. I'm really not at all sold on Collaros, and I think the Bombers will regret the signing.

There's not much out there really, as the best 2 QB's right now are Mitchell and the QB from Hamilton --and he's really good.(Evans I believe?) Hamilton will for sure end up in the Grey Cup again with that guy. Where do all these great QB's come from ? --why can't the Bomber's recruiting staff find one ?

I also think Streveler will be back here, as he's not NFL grade IMO.

BTW --are you heading out to the Masters golf tournament this year :) ?

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
We won the Cup with Collaros and Streveler --true, but we would have won it with Nichols and Steveler in there as well

giphy.gif

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Well, I think there wouldn't be much difference between the 2 quarterbacks. The biggest difference is Collaros is more mobile and can throw on the run, and is also good with the deep ball throw. He will also throw a lot more interceptions than Nichols-- mid range throws --I have no doubt about it.

We won the Cup with Collaros and Streveler --true, but we would have won it with Nichols and Steveler in there as well --as it was the "defense" and the dominate run game of the Bombers,with Harris that won that game for us. Collaros made some nice throws as well. He doesn't impress me with his mid range passes, as he seems to throw right into the defenders hands. We'll see how he works out. I wouldn't get to excited about the guy. It will be our run game, and the strong defense again this year, that will make us a winner.

Bottom line -- in my mind there both about equal value, and both very injury prone. I think the Bombers should look down South and try and recruit an up and coming Arbuckle type guy for a backup quarterback --as I believe we'll need one. We really need a backup QB -I hope the Bomber brass, is working on that.

It's not to often you see a CFL team win a Grey Cup with an average QB --and we just saw it happen. Sort of like the Ravens in the NFL winning with a strong defense and Joe Flacco as quarterback. I'm really not at all sold on Collaros, and I think the Bombers will regret the signing.

There's not much out there really, as the best 2 QB's right now are Mitchell and the QB from Hamilton --and he's really good.(Evans I believe?) Hamilton will for sure end up in the Grey Cup again with that guy. Where do all these great QB's come from ? --why can't the Bomber's recruiting staff find one ?

We will agree to disagree on Nichols . :thumbu: No Masters that was luck that we were able to get tickets , going to Scotland though and playing St.Andrews , that will have to do instead . :sarcasm:

Reactions: GNP

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
It's kinda a meh signing, serviceable but nothing special, has experience at the hb position.

Was looking at what was oh there for FA DB's and didn't think there was much.
I'm sure they are hoping an American from college or an NFL miss can come in and make an impact. Really glad we retained some many key pieces but we were weakest in the DB. I'll be sick to my stomach if we start the season getting torched back there.
I think we could use another LB as well.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

Seems we are the minority but I agree. A qb didnt in us the game. This team was on fire through out the playoffs, it didnt matter who was qb. No area was lacking, it all came together.

Reactions: GNP

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Death Roh signs on in Toronto. Too bad, but it was never likely he would be staying with Jeffcoat and Jefferson already here.

Reactions: Fairview

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

This guys an absolute pos. Right up there with Simoni Lawrence for dirtiest player in CFL. Bombers dont need this type of play, not taking penalties has been a huge strength of theirs. I'm not happy about this at all.

Also doesnt make much sense unless theres something we dont know about Bighill.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
This guys an absolute pos. Right up there with Simoni Lawrence for dirtiest player in CFL. Bombers dont need this type of play, not taking penalties has been a huge strength of theirs. I'm not happy about this at all.

Also doesnt make much sense unless theres something we dont know about Bighill.

It's an interesting signing and not one of need at linebacker, unless they are planing of trying him at safety, going to have to keep the antics on the field to a minimum if he makes the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad