Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Frenzy Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Apparently our offer to Panarin was 12.5×4. Didn't want to offer more terms with our own guys to sign.

He should've taken it.

If he cares about the cup, or the playoffs, at all, for 4 years he could've been an important part of a serious contender. Especially, if he had signed, and then we trade for Kadri right after, it would've sick.

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Would you guys take a chance on Kevin Shattenkirk on D (bottom pairing but useful PP2 D) with Cole out for a while and Johnson (likely) going to be injured again at some point. didn't check if the cap space would work out but if we could get a pick and Shattenkirk from the Rangers (assuming they are still looking to unload his salary) would you take that chance ? could be worth a shot no ? Of course if he can't skate or play anymore that's different. That way there is no pressure (again assuming there even was any) on Byram and maybe Timmins to be rushed into our roster next year ?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I really like Kamenev and believe in him but I just don't see where he fits on our team anymore. I don't think he has much of a future here but if he moves on I could see him becoming a great defensive #3c

Keep him in the AHL, or trade him for a pick?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Would you guys take a chance on Kevin Shattenkirk on D (bottom pairing but useful PP2 D) with Cole out for a while and Johnson (likely) going to be injured again at some point. didn't check if the cap space would work out but if we could get a pick and Shattenkirk from the Rangers (assuming they are still looking to unload his salary) would you take that chance ? could be worth a shot no ? Of course if he can't skate or play anymore that's different. That way there is no pressure (again assuming there even was any) on Byram and maybe Timmins to be rushed into our roster next year ?

No. No interest whatsoever. Between Makar, Girard, a recovering EJ, Graves, Rosen, Barberio, and yes, even Connauton, there are a ton of options that don't involve absorbing the contract of a guy hitting 30 and owed over $6 million the next two seasons. If they really feel the need to bring a veteran puckmover then they can find someone of better value. A lot of risk and not nearly enough reward.

Besides, New York even after acquiring Trouba and Fox still have a bad-looking defense. If it were me, I'd probably just keep Shatty and find a way to get rid of Brendan Smith and/or Marc Staal.

Reactions: MarkT

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Sure, but why consider COL when the other places are actually considering are offering the exact same amount?

Some people are like that. They have life preferences. Some people just prefer to live next to the Ocean. I can understand it. I live next to the Ocean too. Plus the ocean water can heal wounds quicker.

Reactions: Foxtail

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I honestly don’t mean to be negative or contrary, but I’ve read a few posts in here about Kamanev “playing well”, and I honestly can’t recall it. Can someone please help me with this?

In the last 7 games he played before his injury last season, he had zero points and 10 SOG. What was he doing that should instill confidence? Last season, had less IT/game than Dries. I don’t recall being impressed by any part of his game - he seemed like nothing more than a body skating around the ice.

At least with Jost, he skates shifts almost every game where I’m impressed and encouraged by some part of his game (then he has duds, too). But with Kamenev?

I’d love nothing more than Kamenev grabbing a roster spot and running with it. But guys, I’m not even sure we have a NHL-caliber player here, even without the injuries. Am I missing something?

We'll see. It took Kam a while to get going, and once he really started to get a rhythm, he got hurt again. The tools are there--size, toughness, smarts, and a good shot, but I can see why they went with a safer option at 4C. Not sure how he factors in right now.

Most people answered that question pretty well, but I did want to add that I felt like our 4th line was never really as good after he went down. They had a real hard time finding someone to center that 4th line and play with any consistency. Kam was starting to pick up PK shifts and take important face offs. It allowed that 4th line to actually be somewhat useful. After he went down it was a constant mess, and I definitely think it hurt the team.

Kamenev has had about 3 good moments total as an Av... it has always been when he has played that he is on the cusp. Just like with orgasms... close doesn't count.

See above. I wasn't all hyped over how he played for the most part, but woo boy was it noticeable after he was gone IMO.

I'm not excited that PEB most likely bumps Kam off the ship, but I 100% get them bringing someone in that is reliable.

Also Kam has plenty of skill. So it is on him to win a job over some of these guys. Especially because he has raw skills some of them don't, and that includes Jost and JTC. They won't want to lose him on waivers yet. So I think he'll get as good of a shot at the roster as anyone. I'm hopeful, but have zero expectations.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Funny enough Greer has tools that Neato does not as well, but it is on him to make it worth while to play him. Stating the obvious, but I do think Kam has earned a hell of a lot more trust with Bednar than Greer.

That is one reason why I think Graves will stick as long as he does not fall flat on his face in camp. Hes another fringe guy who has earned Bednar's trust. Where I think Barby has lost some. Even if it is just due to injuries. Cotton is a bottom pairing D from another team. Yes he has experience, but I doubt him or Rosen will get a long leash. Bednar has proven he does not really care all that much about trying out or giving a long leash to Sakic's ideas about where players fit on the roster. Which is also why it is absolutely paper thin for me when it comes to making rosters with Bura in the top six lol. If he comes out with his first half of the season level of work ethic and floaty perimeter play he won't last through camp up there.

Also people are being a little recent in their evaluation of Neato. The guy recovered for sure, but he was an absolute ghost for a while last season and part of the problem in the bottom six at times. When he isn't going into the corners hard and going to the net he fades from existence. I don't think his spot is by any means ensured unless he learned a valuable lesson and the light permanently turned on. Contract year for him though so giddy up hopefully.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Nieto stepped up big time in the playoffs and even when he goes through a dry spell he still contributes in other ways.
He's the ideal 4th liner for the modern NHL.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He should've taken it.

If he cares about the cup, or the playoffs, at all, for 4 years he could've been an important part of a serious contender. Especially, if he had signed, and then we trade for Kadri right after, it would've sick.

Eh, it's not like the Rangers haven't made some very good moves of their own, especially this offseason. I think they're a bubble team this upcoming season while they figure out the rest of the roster (like, what to do with Chris Kreider) and then they really start making strides toward being legit contenders.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sure, but why consider COL when the other places are actually considering are offering the exact same amount?

Obviously the Avs didn't win him over, but that doesn't mean he wasn't considering them.

There was enough interest after Sakic met with his agent in Denver, for Josh Kroenke to meet with Panarin in New York. Not sure I've heard of him doing that before.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Eh, it's not like the Rangers haven't made some very good moves of their own, especially this offseason. I think they're a bubble team this upcoming season while they figure out the rest of the roster (like, what to do with Chris Kreider) and then they really start making strides toward being legit contenders.

Meh. I kind of hope we **** them up bad when we play next season. Tired of the Rangers getting any star player they want, whenever they want. Been going on for years...

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meh. I kind of hope we **** them up bad when we play next season. Tired of the Rangers getting any star player they want, whenever they want. Been going on for years...

Actually, that's a bit of a misnomer--they almost always got the wrong player or got the right player at the wrong time, which is why nearly all their marquee signings backfired so badly. Either the team wasn't ready because they never bothered to develop talent beforehand, they threw big $$$ at a relatively marginal player, or--what was usually the case--they signed a guy past his prime who was already on the decline. And a lot of times the top free agents would eschew them because they knew that team wasn't really going anywhere, so they'd then overpay some of the leftovers. So really, they almost never got the premier free agent on the market when he was right in his prime...until now. This time, they previously reversed their trend of historically bad drafting, tanked it for their highest pick since 1966 (they took Brad Park 2nd overall that year in case anyone was curious) and got their own young superstar to build around, and amazingly enough they weren't even the highest bidders this time. So really, their free-spending ways, if anything, have held them back, which is a big reason why they currently have the fewest Stanley Cup wins among the Original Six. But...they may have finally gotten it right.

But, this is not to say you don't get to root against whomever you want. I just said in another thread I'm kinda/sorta hoping Buffalo continues to wallow in misery simply because they handed over Ryan O'Reilly to a division rival in one of the most lopsided trades of the modern era, so I ain't one to judge. :dunno:

Reactions: AvsWraith and cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad