Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Frenzy Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Generational = once per generation. A generation is 30 years. Pick carefully.

Reactions: klozge

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The word "generational" gets used so often today because of the expansion of the game, IMO. Mario and Orr level talents pop up more often because the game is bigger and comes from more places than it did in the 80s. You can use the word "elite" instead if you want, but the talent in the game has grown so much that naturally the top end has more guys in that same range than in the olden days. If Crosby, Datsyuk, McDavid, Tavares, Kane, Ovechkin, Karlsson, and Price had been around in those days I think people would have no problem attaching the g-word to their careers, especially considering that scoring is still down from the free wheeling days of the 80s.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Oh this “generational” BS again. Just give it a rest. There is no clear and universally accepted definition what it means so there is no point to argue about it.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

In my mind, the sport changes so much and so quickly, that I consider it different generations of the game and not “generational” the sense we use it for people regularly.

I also don’t think that there can only be 1 generational player in each generation. To me Gretzky/Lemieux were generational and so have Crosby/Ovechkin.

Reactions: avsfan3737

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

So was Gretzky or Lemieux generational?

I agree that it's an abused term, but it's not that straightforward either. You can have multiple generational players at the same time and sometimes most their careers will even overlap, like Crosby & Ovechkin or Messi & rapey-Ronaldo.

But yeah, Dahlin is the blueliner who could be generational, not Cale. Cale can be a super-star like Nate, but generational is another step up.

Reactions: tbassler

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
For me guys like Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Hasek are above generational. Those are like.. Idk. The 1% of the generational. I'd put Crosby/Ovi in the generational category but those 4 are hockey Gods. We'll never see another Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux or Hasek. Will we see another Crosby/Ovi level guy? Maybe.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If we want to define "generational" I'd give this definition: You put that player in any time period in the league and he would absolutely dominate that time period due to his overwhelming ability. That's why McDavid and Crosby can both be generational despite playing at the same time. Ditto for Gretzky and Mario (God I still get chills when thinking about the time I saw him play live).

Roy was generational for sure as a goalie. Hasek too.

So with that in mind, in modern times I think we've actually had a few generational forwards and goalies. My question is: where are the generational defense? Lindstrom was the last no-question one I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit: also the idea that Makar should be talked about in that was is absolutely absurd at this point. Let's wait until he proves he can even be good for a whole season before we start talking about him being great.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If we want to define "generational" I'd give this definition: You put that player in any time period in the league and he would absolutely dominate that time period due to his overwhelming ability. That's why McDavid and Crosby can both be generational despite playing at the same time. Ditto for Gretzky and Mario (God I still get chills when thinking about the time I saw him play live).

So with that in mind, in modern times I think we've actually had a few generational forwards and goalies. My question is: where are the generational defense? Lindstrom was the last no-question one I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit: also the idea that Makar should be talked about in that was is absolutely absurd at this point. Let's wait until he proves he can even be good for a whole season before we start talking about him being great.

Karlsson. He was the best player in the league at his peak and a revolutionary weapon. That ottawa team had no right having the success that they did, had EK not carried them the way he did for years. That's why he can remain an elite player even after having lost a few steps.

Barring injuries, Dahlin will get there too. He's not just the McDavid of blueliners, he's a McDavid level talent...on the blueline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For me guys like Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Hasek are above generational. Those are like.. Idk. The 1% of the generational. I'd put Crosby/Ovi in the generational category but those 4 are hockey Gods. We'll never see another Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux or Hasek. Will we see another Crosby/Ovi level guy? Maybe.

I think this is probably the best way to approach it. If you're using Gretzky or Lemieux as the standard for a generational quality player... you're gonna come up with 2 names and that is it. Nobody else will ever touch these two guys. They're simply in a class by themselves.

Generational would be better to describe guys like Crosby, Jagr, Messier, Coffey, Lindros, Lidstrom, Ovechkin, Brodeur.... I think a guy like Sakic would be right on the borderline of being a generational player as well.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

McDavid is generational. The numbers he's produced with the disaster of a team is outstanding. Crosby & Ovi would from the previous decade.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I love when he forgets about the game & just starts telling stories; now imagine the stories he'd tell if he wasn't on air & just having some beers.

...and I grew up with a lot of russians; so I may not enjoy it much anymore, but I can drink when I have to :laugh:
Sure, this could be fun. But also pretty painful when you're not drunk enough. Hope you record the conversation if you get the chance cause it could be fun - or something you show your kids with the advise: Whatever you do with your life, don't ever - and i mean EVER - become like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad