Confirmed Signing with Link: 2019 Free Agency Mega-Thread

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
My guess is he expressed an interest in going to Europe, Preds took on an extra contract in Subban deal (Subban for Davies and Santini) and wanted to even it out with the Devils. Devils tried to talk Helewka into playing in the AHL and terminated his deal when they couldn't do so.
Teams are being a lot looser this past year, in regards to terminating contracts.

If a player used to want to go to Europe, there was much more of a "too bad, wait it out attitude", or at least loans, (if the League has an agreement and the contract has a loan clause).
Helewka is still fairly young and had a pretty solid performance in the AHL this past year. Surprised NJD didn't let him go but try to retain his rights somehow.

Just speculation but it seems like Binghamton is a hard sell to AHL players.

In the Henrique deal the Devils acquired a forward after the fact, similar to this deal, who refused to play in Binghamton and went to Europe instead.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
So are we going to see a lot of deals announced early in the day on the 1st that were already verbally agreed to, then have a slow boring rest of the day?

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Just speculation but it seems like Binghamton is a hard sell to AHL players.

In the Henrique deal the Devils acquired a forward after the fact, similar to this deal, who refused to play in Binghamton and went to Europe instead.
I hate European Escape Clauses. They should be banned.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Wasn't an escape clause. It was the player forfeiting his contract by refusing to report to go somewhere else.

No different from someone quitting a job to seek out another opportunity.
Or quitting a job because they won't accept a transfer to a location they don't want to move to.

Reactions: uncleben

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Probably going to get a bunch of nothing signings from the Flyers over the next couple days. They only have 11 defensemen and need to fill up the Phantoms roster. Nate Prosser, come on down.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Commie says Bob + Panarin are signing with the Islanders.

However i think hes usually just shooting out random stuff

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
This is probably a super stupid question, but how do contional picks related to re-signing players work? For example, if Colombus re-signs Duchene, they have to give Ottawa their 1st round pick in 2020. Does this still stands if they sign him as a free agent on July 1st? Theoretically, he would not be a property of the CBJ at the moment of signing his contract, so I would like to know how these conditions work in such cases. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad