Confirmed Signing with Link: 2019 Free Agency Mega-Thread

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This is probably a super stupid question, but how do contional picks related to re-signing players work? For example, if Colombus re-signs Duchene, they have to give Ottawa their 1st round pick in 2020. Does this still stands if they sign him as a free agent on July 1st? Theoretically, he would not be a property of the CBJ at the moment of signing his contract, so I would like to know how these conditions work in such cases. Thanks!

I believe the pick gets transferred regardless of when the re-signing occurs, whether before or after July 1, if Duchene were to stay in Columbus. I don't think we have to worry about that, though.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I believe the pick gets transferred regardless of when the re-signing occurs, whether before or after July 1, if Duchene were to stay in Columbus. I don't think we have to worry about that, though.

I know, just a technicality that I was wondering about! I believe you are right

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is probably a super stupid question, but how do contional picks related to re-signing players work? For example, if Colombus re-signs Duchene, they have to give Ottawa their 1st round pick in 2020. Does this still stands if they sign him as a free agent on July 1st? Theoretically, he would not be a property of the CBJ at the moment of signing his contract, so I would like to know how these conditions work in such cases. Thanks!

Judging by the recent Haula trade, the NHL Central Registry will look through the trade proposal and if the wording of the condition leaves room for vagueness, they will clarify it.

In the Haula trade (VGK -> CAR) there is a conditional 5th to be moved in various scenarios, and CR took their time looking into it because there was some unclarity what happens in a specific case.

As the Duchene trade was accepted by CR, there assumably isn't anything unclear in the wording. It is another question if we the hungry public actually get the exact and correct wording of a condition, BUT:

if the condition says "re-signs" (and nothing else), the CR probably had what happens in this scenario clarified up between the parties;

if the condition says "extends", then July 30th would clearly be the deadline.

So, what's the exact wording?

edit: NHL.com reports: "the Senators would receive a conditional first-round pick in the 2020 draft if Duchene signs a new contract with Columbus."

Seeing that expectation probably was that Duchene will see what's there in the Free Agency, this wording would suggest that any new contract signed between Duchene and Columbus will trigger the condition on the pick.

editedit: but CapFriendly knows to state about the matter:

"**Conditions: If Duchene re-signs with the Blue Jackets, Ottawa will receive Columbus' 2020 1st round pick. (If the 2019 pick moves to 2020 as a result of the lottery and Duchene signs with Columbus, the 2020 conditional pick would then move to 2021). If Duchene does not re-sign with Columbus, no pick is exchanged."

"Result: Duchene did not re-sign with Columbus, no pick is exchanged"

Matt Duchene Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So it's a very good question, and the answer is that the goddamn journos including the ones at NHL.com oughta do their jorbs.

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Judging by the recent Haula trade, the NHL Central Registry will look through the trade proposal and if the wording of the condition leaves room for vagueness, they will clarify it.

In the Haula trade (VGK -> CAR) there is a conditional 5th to be moved in various scenarios, and CR took their time looking into it because there was some unclarity what happens in a specific case.

As the Duchene trade was accepted by CR, there assumably isn't anything unclear in the wording. It is another question if we the hungry public actually get the exact and correct wording of a condition, BUT:

if the condition says "re-signs" (and nothing else), the CR probably had what happens in this scenario clarified up between the parties;

if the condition says "extends", then July 30th would clearly be the deadline.

So, what's the exact wording?

edit: NHL.com reports: "the Senators would receive a conditional first-round pick in the 2020 draft if Duchene signs a new contract with Columbus."

Seeing that expectation probably was that Duchene will see what's there in the Free Agency, this wording would suggest that any new contract signed between Duchene and Columbus will trigger the condition on the pick.

editedit: but CapFriendly knows to state about the matter:

"**Conditions: If Duchene re-signs with the Blue Jackets, Ottawa will receive Columbus' 2020 1st round pick. (If the 2019 pick moves to 2020 as a result of the lottery and Duchene signs with Columbus, the 2020 conditional pick would then move to 2021). If Duchene does not re-sign with Columbus, no pick is exchanged."

"Result: Duchene did not re-sign with Columbus, no pick is exchanged"

Matt Duchene Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So it's a very good question, and the answer is that the goddamn journos including the ones at NHL.com oughta do their jorbs.
What was the clarification on Haula?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What was the clarification on Haula?
There was all kinds of stuff that if he's re-signed with Canes or got traded for player or players or a pick that is 1st to 5th, Vegas will get the conditional 5th. If he walks or is traded for a pick worse than 5th, Vegas don't get the 5th.

The question arised on scenario where Haula would be traded for example a conditional 6th that would become a 4th. It was determined that in this case the lower pick is the decisive, and Vegas would get their 5th.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
There was all kinds of stuff that if he's re-signed with Canes or got traded for player or players or a pick that is 1st to 5th, Vegas will get the conditional 5th. If he walks or is traded for a pick worse than 5th, Vegas don't get the 5th.

The question arised on scenario where Haula would be traded for example a conditional 6th that would become a 4th. It was determined that in this case the lower pick is the decisive, and Vegas would get their 5th.
Thanks!! Big help!

I knew the three layers of conditions, but didn't hear anything about conditional picks influencing those conditions!

Edit: Stupid mobile autocorrect.

Reactions: Lempo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad