Confirmed Signing with Link: 2019 Free Agency Mega-Thread

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Isn't Hutton still one of their better d-men? He led the team in ATOI. And is Vancouver even anywhere near the cap? I hope not.
Second in average and total, but that’s not testament to him being a top pairing guy, but more to how awful the defense is. I like Hutton, he’s a good guy, can be relied upon to do his job well enough but he’s not worth $4m+ as a #4/5 guy on this team

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Per CapFriendly the following players were not tendered QOs and are now UFAs

ARI: Hunter Miska, Nick Cousins, Josh Archibald
CHI: Luke Johnson, Blake Hillman, Anthony Louis, Spencer Watson
CBJ: Samuel Vigneault
FLA: Ludwig Bystrom, Vincent Praplan and Henrik Haapala
MTL: Daniel Audette, Brett Lernout and Hunter Shinkaruk
NYR: Chris Bigras, Brandon Halverson and Fredrik Claesson

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Somehow, it seems that NHL teams have lost all patience with players bolting to Europe.

I'm under the impression that a few years ago, players like Holmstrom and Sulak (Detroit) or Hyka (Vegas) would have been retained. All it would cost is a spot on the reserve list.

Reactions: uncleben

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area

Most of the Blackhawks QOs

This tweet got deleted. I'm going to assume it was...

QUALIFIED RFAs
- Perlini
- Quenneville
- D. Sikura

UNQUALIFIED RFAs
- Kampf
- L. Johnson
- Watson
- Louis
- Hillman
- Ejdsell (signed in Europe)

Is this correct? I'm especially curious about Ejdsell.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Seems weird that a journeyman that has spent 99% of his career in the minors gets a one-way deal.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

So was he part of the Subban trade? Neither team's site mentions him.

Edit: I guess it was a separate trade for future considerations. I missed it completely.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

So was he part of the Subban trade? Neither team's site mentions him.

Edit: I guess it was a separate trade for future considerations. I missed it completely.

Wait... what's that translation..? They bought him out??? Well this is a strange series of events if true...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Wait... what's that translation..? They bought him out??? Well this is a strange series of events if true...

This is his English tweet.

I'm wondering why the Devils would make a trade, after the Subban one, to get him for nothing, only to buy him out after. Maybe it was connected to the Subban one in the sense that what happened later in the draft affected things? I'm not sure, because there doesn't seem to be a clear timeline.

Anyway, it's a minor thing, and we have an end result. It just brings on a lot of questions.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
My guess is he expressed an interest in going to Europe, Preds took on an extra contract in Subban deal (Subban for Davies and Santini) and wanted to even it out with the Devils. Devils tried to talk Helewka into playing in the AHL and terminated his deal when they couldn't do so.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
My guess is he expressed an interest in going to Europe, Preds took on an extra contract in Subban deal (Subban for Davies and Santini) and wanted to even it out with the Devils. Devils tried to talk Helewka into playing in the AHL and terminated his deal when they couldn't do so.
Teams are being a lot looser this past year, in regards to terminating contracts.

If a player used to want to go to Europe, there was much more of a "too bad, wait it out attitude", or at least loans, (if the League has an agreement and the contract has a loan clause).
Helewka is still fairly young and had a pretty solid performance in the AHL this past year. Surprised NJD didn't let him go but try to retain his rights somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad