OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part IV – More like the "Football Thread", amirite?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Much tougher schedule next season for the Jets. Unless there is significant improvement on the line and pass rush, probably looking at another season without the playoffs

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Very strange. Coaches, who the GM will likely have a say in who it is, get to decide if the GM stays? Does anyone not remember what happened with the Jets this past season?

Reactions: romba

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
New coaches having an input on the GM is baffling to me. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Giants are picking 4th. Young is going to be off the board for sure. Bengals are likely taking Burrow. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

My vote? Trade back and recoup the wasted picks from the Leonard Williams trade and grab an offensive lineman.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Reports starting to surface that shurmur is gone (if cowboys coach replaces him I'm also gone) but DG may stay...how is DG not the 1dt one out? What hes done with this horrid Oline(his apparent specialty), the beckham situation, one of the worse D I've seen on giants. Were gonna have a lot of cap space and I dont want DG anywhere near that
DG handled the Beckham situation perfectly. He assessed that he had an aging, temperamental, overpaid, injury prone diva who failed to help the team win when in his prime, realized that he'd be a shell of himself by the time the team got good again, got a team to pay a hefty price for him and got his contract off the books.

It's failing to trade Collins that was a monumental mistake. I'm willing to be patient if he fixes the Oline this season bc it means he got his star RB to help his QB and still got the Oline. And I dont like DG. I think he makes ego moves too often but he's also been right about a lot of critical things.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
DG handled the Beckham situation perfectly. He assessed that he had an aging, temperamental, overpaid, injury prone diva who failed to help the team win when in his prime, realized that he'd be a shell of himself by the time the team got good again, got a team to pay a hefty price for him and got his contract off the books.

It's failing to trade Collins that was a monumental mistake. I'm willing to be patient if he fixes the Oline this season bc it means he got his star RB to help his QB and still got the Oline. And I dont like DG. I think he makes ego moves too often but he's also been right about a lot of critical things.

The entire point of his hiring was to fix the line. He's done none of that. All of his moves have backfired. He went into this season with f***ing HALAPIO as his starting Center. A never-was JAG who had a few good snaps the year prior. He has so far wasted the career of Barkley because he failed to realize that Barkley, unlike some other backs, needs a very specific offensive line to succeed behind.

Dave Gettleman has utterly failed at his attempt at GMing.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Honestly, they made the playoffs once since I was 25 and had a winning record twice since then. The best years of my life, my sports team has been absolutely miserable. Thankfully, three of those years I barely followed because I lived outside of NYC.

In context of the super bowl years and all your early years this really doesn't mean much though.

I'm not saying you're wrong for being pissed, just that this reason doesn't make me go "yea that's so bad!"

Even the infamous "No team has a worse record than the NYG in the last 3 seasons" comes close to touching the monumental clown show that the Jets have been for almost a decade.Which just makes me cringe and die inside thinking about it. So sit back while I remind you what real, actual misery is.

So many picks who couldn't even crack practice squads. Terrible coaching. The Sanchez and Geno Smith years featured some of the most pathetic, putrid, JV offenses I've ever seen.
First team to ever lose to two teams AFTER they've gone 0-8.
Broke the Browns 20 something game losing streak with Hue f***ing Jackson.
The one really fun season they had? They lost the final game of the season to miss the playoffs.

Speaking of the playoffs, when the Giants were going to and WINNING super bowls, the Jets were missing 2 field goals in Pittsburgh. Or they were dropping a pick 6 and then taking a roughing the kicker against the Steelers. Or losing to the Colts in the AFC champ game. Butt fumbles, ghosts, epic blowout losses, complete front office dysfunction, Idzik, Maccagnan, it just does not ever f***ing stop.

I barely watch now. All this team can do is sell hope. Every f***ing offseason it's "Oh the QB has taken an enormous step forward!!!"

Yea, sure...before getting punched in the jaw, or mono and then losing the backup, tearing a rotator cuff, splitting an Achilles or... my favorite...getting injured followed by the backup getting knocked out 1 play later so we can bask in the greatness of Brooks Bollinger! Can't forget the 8-3 collapse after the Favre swap for Pennigton who won the division instead of us LOLOLOLOL

"Players are flying out here in camp! The overpriced FA looks great!" (before playing like shit and being benched half the season).

"Khalil has something left in the tank, the Oline is improved! If Anderson and herndon improve along with Enunwa being back..."

HAAAAA!!!! Herndon and Enunwa play like 2 games combined. Robby finally starts playing like a real WR but still puts up middling numbers and now he's talking about getting PAID like he's done anything besides threaten cops lives over traffic tickets.

"If we just draft a WR to help out our young Qb and get one or two free agents for the Oline"...yea been saying that for f***ing half a decade.

Thank God, with the 3rd overall pick, we draft a f***ing interior d lineman instead of the pass rushing GOD Josh Allen. We're at a time when the whole league revolves around passing the ball but we take our 2nd defensive lineman in the top 6 in 5 years. We trade the other one away for beans that we were lucky to get.

Speaking of 1st round D lineman...Wilks, Richardson, Coples, Gholston.

Shit, can't forget luminaries like Kyle Wilson, Dee Millner, Calvin Pryor instead of Ha-Ha Dix and Darron Lee.

In a season where the future God of football, Lamar Jackson is there...we trade a 6th overall and 3 second rounders like pathetic, desperate f***ing morons to take Darnold. Then again we'd have blown every second round pick like we did on hackenberg, Amaro , Devin Smith, Stephen Hill, etc., etc.

It's an OFFENSE DRIVEN LEAGUE and the Jets have taken BUST DEFENSIVE PLAYERS in the first round almost every year and even worse offensive players in the 2nd or 3rd. With the exception of Wilks, who became an asshole, we drafted a warm body before getting cut or leaving the team

Bridgewater looks like a revelation out there last year...so naturally we rush Darnold in there only to watch him have to get benched mid way through that season bc he wasn't f***ing ready yet. Thank god we got beans for Bridgewater...that bum clearly wouldn't have helped anything. Oh wait...we just watched him guide a fantastic looking New Orleans team.

It just doesn't stop.

But don't worry, we just need a guy like Thomas or Wirf for the Oline...oh wait we just won two meaningless games which means every player we need will likely be off the f***ing board at 12. Well we can still sign Amari Cooper, Scherff from Washington and let Mosley and Williamson come back. Darnold and Quinnen Williams will take another step and blah blah blah blah same old f***ing shit.

We will watch everyone from Ceedee Lamb, Jeudy, Thomas, Wirf, Espenesa, Young, Okudah all go off the board so we can take a Linebacker or better yet a safety before we trade Jamal Adams away for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
The entire point of his hiring was to fix the line. He's done none of that. All of his moves have backfired. He went into this season with ****ing HALAPIO as his starting Center. A never-was JAG who had a few good snaps the year prior. He has so far wasted the career of Barkley because he failed to realize that Barkley, unlike some other backs, needs a very specific offensive line to succeed behind.

Dave Gettleman has utterly failed at his attempt at GMing.
That's why i disagreed on the Beckham thing but not on the Oline thing. I didn't say he fixed it or did a good job on the team. But I admit that, with the critical pieces he has gotten, there is a possibility that next year, with a competent coach, a team will actually be there. Idk about the D though. It feels like all DG has done is get a QB, RB and DT.

Although baker came on late and the Giants seem to have 3 good pass catchers in Tate, Slayton and Engram.

I don't agree that Barq's career has been wasted to any special degree. It's been 2 seasons. That's not enough time to talk about wasted careers. Especially not if they add a legit lineman or two this off season, which they are primed to do, and he spends the next 5 years tearing up the league.

I'm imagining Young and Jeudy/okudah off the board at 2 and 3, leaving the Giants to grab Thomas. or they trade back 2-5 spots and grab some 2nd round picks and Wirfs who is a monstrous lineman, perfect for the run game.

Both NY teams should be outside Scherff's door the second the clock strikes midnight to start free agency. They should be involved in a massive brawl on his front lawn just to decide who gets to see him first. The Giants might also want to take a flyer on Trent Williams too since he's proven what he can do in division. It's been so ling though that he's a big risk

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Kim Jones just absolutely f***ing TORCHED Ralph V and Pat Traina without naming them (it is obvious that those two clowns are implicated in this as both have been massive proponents of every single move Gettleman has made). Wow. Gettleman is a soft little punk, too. Getting reporters to do his bidding and prop him up? That she came out and publicly said this is pretty incredible.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I don't know.

I'm of the mind that Gettleman's worst move as GM so far was trading away a high 3rd rounder for 6 games of Leonard Williams. I was willing to give him another year to see what he can do with this coming draft, but the manipulation of the press and smug arrogance of the Barkley pick make me like him a lot less.

Steve Tisch going to the media and promising sweeping changes and then having Mara come out and basically confirm that Gettleman is safe is bad optics. That tells me the ownership and team hierarchy are split and not unified in their vision for the team moving forward, and that's more troubling to me than anything else we saw this season.

I'm going to lose it if Gettleman stays at 4 and takes Jeudy or Lamb. Absolutely lose it. I'm ok with taking one of them of they trade back and recoup some picks, but I'd rather go for a lineman personally. The Giants have the cap room to get a marquee pass rusher in free agency. I'd pass on the WR crop this year. Draft an offensive lineman and CB or pass rusher in the first two rounds and sign a pass rusher in free agency and that's a step in the right direction.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Much tougher schedule next season for the Jets. Unless there is significant improvement on the line and pass rush, probably looking at another season without the playoffs

First time I'm looking at the 2020 schedule and withought putting too much thought into this, I'd probably agree with your assessment that it would be quite difficult for us to get into the playoffs playing that schedule which looks awfully tough having to deal with the NFC West and AFC West.

Now that said and like I said this is very very early prognostication based on what we know now and not what Douglass does in the offseason via the draft and UFA but it would likely be a stretch to see the Jets any better than 9-7 if EVERYTHING went fabulously and 6-10 as a floor if it was just a "same ole Jets" type of season.

What gives me some real hope tho is that Douglass's forte is building thru the draft and player evaluation skills. He really knows offensive line talent which is not surprising seeing he used to be one in his playing days. And with that being THE biggest need on the team if he can work some magic there thru the draft and FA that would help enormously and would change the entire complexion of the offense.

Another year of Sam building upon some solid 2nd half starts, hopefully Bell produces more with a better O-line and we'd be getting back Herndon and hopefully resigning Robbie who emerged at least for me as a "must keep him" type player.

Add to that a healthy Mosley coming back, Douglass gets some secondary help and like I said earlier god forbid we ever found an edge rusher, who knows maybe we could be a surprisingly good football team next year. I'm hoping for a "Gorton" type impact from Douglass and until proven wrong, I'm thinking he's going to fix the problem areas we have.

Oh and we have to make sure Greg Williams comes back as DC. Heck I'd love for him to be head coach but we know that aint happening. But the job he did with this no name Jet defense other than Jamal with all the injuries was simply phenomenal. Williams needs to be back so don't screw around with him as he's the best DC I can ever recall us having since the Bud Carson days back in the mid 80's.

Anyways, much tougher schedule next year but we hopefully we'll have alot better luck than we had this past year with injuries as it couldn't have been much worse. So maybe things we'll even out and we'll surprise next season despite the schedule.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In context of the super bowl years and all your early years this really doesn't mean much though.

I'm not saying you're wrong for being pissed, just that this reason doesn't make me go "yea that's so bad!"

Even the infamous "No team has a worse record than the NYG in the last 3 seasons" comes close to touching the monumental clown show that the Jets have been for almost a decade.Which just makes me cringe and die inside thinking about it. So sit back while I remind you what real, actual misery is.

So many picks who couldn't even crack practice squads. Terrible coaching. The Sanchez and Geno Smith years featured some of the most pathetic, putrid, JV offenses I've ever seen.
First team to ever lose to two teams AFTER they've gone 0-8.
Broke the Browns 20 something game losing streak with Hue ****ing Jackson.
The one really fun season they had? They lost the final game of the season to miss the playoffs.

Speaking of the playoffs, when the Giants were going to and WINNING super bowls, the Jets were missing 2 field goals in Pittsburgh. Or they were dropping a pick 6 and then taking a roughing the kicker against the Steelers. Or losing to the Colts in the AFC champ game. Butt fumbles, ghosts, epic blowout losses, complete front office dysfunction, Idzik, Maccagnan, it just does not ever ****ing stop.

I barely watch now. All this team can do is sell hope. Every ****ing offseason it's "Oh the QB has taken an enormous step forward!!!"

Yea, sure...before getting punched in the jaw, or mono and then losing the backup, tearing a rotator cuff, splitting an Achilles or... my favorite...getting injured followed by the backup getting knocked out 1 play later so we can bask in the greatness of Brooks Bollinger! Can't forget the 8-3 collapse after the Favre swap for Pennigton who won the division instead of us LOLOLOLOL

"Players are flying out here in camp! The overpriced FA looks great!" (before playing like **** and being benched half the season).

"Khalil has something left in the tank, the Oline is improved! If Anderson and herndon improve along with Enunwa being back..."

HAAAAA!!!! Herndon and Enunwa play like 2 games combined. Robby finally starts playing like a real WR but still puts up middling numbers and now he's talking about getting PAID like he's done anything besides threaten cops lives over traffic tickets.

"If we just draft a WR to help out our young Qb and get one or two free agents for the Oline"...yea been saying that for ****ing half a decade.

Thank God, with the 3rd overall pick, we draft a ****ing interior d lineman instead of the pass rushing GOD Josh Allen. We're at a time when the whole league revolves around passing the ball but we take our 2nd defensive lineman in the top 6 in 5 years. We trade the other one away for beans that we were lucky to get.

Speaking of 1st round D lineman...Wilks, Richardson, Coples, Gholston.

****, can't forget luminaries like Kyle Wilson, Dee Millner, Calvin Pryor instead of Ha-Ha Dix and Darron Lee.

In a season where the future God of football, Lamar Jackson is there...we trade a 6th overall and 3 second rounders like pathetic, desperate ****ing morons to take Darnold. Then again we'd have blown every second round pick like we did on hackenberg, Amaro , Devin Smith, Stephen Hill, etc., etc.

It's an OFFENSE DRIVEN LEAGUE and the Jets have taken BUST DEFENSIVE PLAYERS in the first round almost every year and even worse offensive players in the 2nd or 3rd. With the exception of Wilks, who became an *******, we drafted a warm body before getting cut or leaving the team

Bridgewater looks like a revelation out there last year...so naturally we rush Darnold in there only to watch him have to get benched mid way through that season bc he wasn't ****ing ready yet. Thank god we got beans for Bridgewater...that bum clearly wouldn't have helped anything. Oh wait...we just watched him guide a fantastic looking New Orleans team.

It just doesn't stop.

But don't worry, we just need a guy like Thomas or Wirf for the Oline...oh wait we just won two meaningless games which means every player we need will likely be off the ****ing board at 12. Well we can still sign Amari Cooper, Scherff from Washington and let Mosley and Williamson come back. Darnold and Quinnen Williams will take another step and blah blah blah blah same old ****ing ****.

We will watch everyone from Ceedee Lamb, Jeudy, Thomas, Wirf, Espenesa, Young, Okudah all go off the board so we can take a Linebacker or better yet a safety before we trade Jamal Adams away for pennies on the dollar.

You'll be surprised how little you care about 8+ year old Super Bowls when your team won fewer games in 3 seasons combined than something like 4 NFL teams won in this one season. Yeah, it's better than not winning but I really don't care right now about those wins. 25-35 are probably the best years of your life and I've spent them on some cool things, but my favorite sport (at least tied with hockey) has been absent during those years. All of my memories of good Giants teams were when I was practically a kid. I know we don't have it as poorly as the Jets, Browns, and Redskins, but I don't really care about that right now.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I can't believe gettelman is staying. I wanted McCarthy with roster control. Smh.
McCarthy would have been more of the same.

Why is one arm of ownership promising drastic changes but the other came out the day after the end of the season saying that Gettleman is safe? Unless Belicheck bolts, there is no non-analytics coach out there that would right this ship, and you know that Gettleman won't approve of bringing in an analytics heavy coach. What a cluster of a situation this is if ownership truly is divided. You want a culture change? Clean house and bring in a new GM that hires their own staff. Just push the reset button and nuke the last two years.

Its like the Jets are Jets-ing and the Giants are saying "hold my beer".

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad