2019 Entry Draft Thread (The Final Countdown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Watched every games of the tournament. He has a great wrister that can beat goaltenders from far away (top of the circles). Add to that his great vision, passing and speed. The only knock about his U18 was insconsistency and turnovers. When he was on, he was on. His shot really surprised me, I wasn't expecting that quick of a release from him. I'm really high on him.

He could be one very good top 6F with scoring touch. I do like him as well. I know his shot is above average, just don't know if it's elite level. This is why I am asking others.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His shot isn't elite, but everything else is.

He does look like a dynamic offensive forward. His work ethic is top notch which is a bonus. I'd be very OK if we drafted Newhook.

However, one way or another, we need a goal scoring threat. Not someone who works hard to score, someone who can score because their shot is elite

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He does look like a dynamic offensive forward. His work ethic is top notch which is a bonus. I'd be very OK if we drafted Newhook.

However, one way or another, we need a goal scoring threat. Not someone who works hard to score, someone who can score because their shot is elite
The Habs need someone who can create offense on an elite level, Dorofeyev, Kaliyev, Caufield, Brink, McMichael and Newhook are the only guys that are going to be there at 15 that have that potential.

Dorofeyev, Newhook and Brink have the best offensive potential of these, followed by Kaliyev and Caufield and McMichael not so far away. I think the first group has 80 points in them, then high 60, then high 50.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From the Highlights, I saw one beautiful snip in a breakaway and the others plays was more of high IQ plays... nice passes, scoring goals because he was at the right place at the right time. He definitively have some finishing ability but I dont know about being a sniper.

I heard a pundit this morning on the radio say that a player like Newhook would be easily appealing to Montreal fans. They compared his motor and drive to Gallagher — shows up every game, always working.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
> Say a bunch of **** about Broberg
> Ask questions about Newhook

I'm gonna go with - has no first hand knowledge of either.

Why so sensitive? I don't think any poster should be saying another poster has no first hand knowledge of either. Just talk to them and speak your piece.

The Habs need someone who can create offense on an elite level, Dorofeyev, Kaliyev, Caufield, Brink, McMichael and Newhook are the only guys that are going to be there at 15 that have that potential.

Dorofeyev, Newhook and Brink have the best offensive potential of these, followed by Kaliyev and Caufield and McMichael not so far away. I think the first group has 80 points in them, then high 60, then high 50.

Very curious to see who we draft at 15. Does Dorofeyev slip to 46? Looks like their is a chance

Last edited by a moderator:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
They don’t have a history of taking guys from 2nd tier leagues but they did take Stapley last year and may have got a glimpse of Newhook at the time. I think they are really looking for a defender though.

Stapley, Gorniak, Koberstein, Evans, Staum, Sullivan, McDonagh, Stejskaland, Fischer, Walsh, MacMillan, Bennett, Kishel, and Paquet to name a few.

Timmins usually takes a shot at players from 2nd tier leagues including two last season (Harris, Gorniak)

Reactions: Garnet76

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
My take from Dorofeyev's latest ranking is it's safe to say he's not in teams' top 10 and that's about it.

McKenzie's lists over the years have generally been heavy on players playing in NA. Suggesting more than likely, scouts he polls are North Americans.
Understandably, their knowledge of the prospects who play here and/or in international tournaments will be way more comprehensive, than it will for those who don't check either category, like Dorofeyev.

And explains the absurd 40-spot difference between him and Nikolayev, a russian-based player who's league play pales in comparison to Dorofeyev's but one took part in and had points in the major tournaments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I have NO CLUE who will be drafted before us, and I have NO CLUE how the prospects performed in their interviews, so I have NO CLUE who we will pick. BUT, I am super excited to find out who we DO pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I want Boldy. I don't care how. Get it done MB.

He should be within reach, maybe 2-3 picks away. Can’t let him slip when you’re so close like that.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I haven't seen Broberg but if the alleged IQ issues solely stem from decisions with the puck they might not be IQ issues. Especially since he's a kid playing in a men's league. Could be confidence and what not. That's where it gets really hard to judge. If he looks smart in other aspects of the game then maybe he's not a dummy.
Go on youtube, type taiwan hockey, you can watch a couple of the last U18 games, I suggest you to watch the gold medal game, Broberg was an absolute beast out there...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
yea not so much as here's all of Timmins picks from the junior A,

O'Byrne (BCHL), Dustin Walsh (OJHL), MacMillan (BCHL), Evans (OJHL), Koberstein (AJHL), Stapley (BCHL)

If they are going to use "2nd tier" as the bar then you also have to include all of the high school picks such as McDonagh, Fischer, Harris, Staum, Gorniak, Sullivan etc. as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If they are going to use "2nd tier" as the bar then you also have to include all of the high school picks such as McDonagh, Fischer, Harris, Staum, Gorniak, Sullivan etc.

I assume he meant in Canada since it was well known about how Timmins went overboard for a while there with the American kids from the USHS.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I assume he meant in Canada since it was well known about how Timmins went overboard for a while there with the American kids from the USHS.

Yeah I know, just thought it was silly to exclude players who played against similar competition which posed the same scouting challenges.

As you know Timmins has never been afraid to scout the fringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad