2019 Entry Draft Thread (The Final Countdown)

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by montreal, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

continue...

Reminder- NO POSTING ANYTHING FROM A PAYWALL! If you have to pay for it, don't post it.

2. Runner77

Runner77 **********************************************

3. Pompeius Magnus

Pompeius Magnus Registered User

Historian/archivist

The most eighties-rific music video ever :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    montreal likes this.
  4. le_sean

le_sean Registered User

They don’t have a history of taking guys from 2nd tier leagues but they did take Stapley last year and may have got a glimpse of Newhook at the time. I think they are really looking for a defender though.

5. habsfan891

habsfan891 Registered User

I don't read much French but I really hope that says doing so would be an embarrassing choice.

If they are looking for a defender that's fine and understandable but there are going to be better choices at 15 than York.

Last edited by moderator montreal: Jun 20, 2019
    Runner77 likes this.
  6. Runner77

Runner77 **********************************************

I'd really hope they don't pass up on a scoring forward who falls to them. They can get Ds in the subsequent rounds. It would be silly for them to lunge for a D if he's not the BPA, when that player is only likely to make the jump 2-3 years from now.

habsfan891 likes this.
  7. WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings #1 Centre

You're definitely better off going forward if it's Newhook there but if Newhook Boldy and Caufield are gone then whatever.

Frank JT and habshound247 like this.
  8. ProspectsSTC

ProspectsSTC >hdiff

Final rankings time!

1. Kaapo Kakko
    2. Jack Hughes
    3. Bowen Byram
    4. Alex Turcotte
    5. Kirby Dach
    6. Cole Caufield
    7. Trevor Zegras
    8. Matthew Boldy
    9. Alex Newhook
    10. Peyton Krebs
    11. Moritz Seider
    12. Arthur Kaliyev
    13. Ville Heinola
    14. Philip Tomasino
    15. Pavel Dorofeyev
    16. Vasilii Podkolzin
    17. Victor Soderstrom
    18. Vladislav Kolyachonok
    19. Thomas Harley
    20. Dylan Cozens
    21. Cam York
    22. Tobias Bjornfot
    23. Philip Broberg
    24. Nick Robertson
    25. Raphael Lavoie
    26. Brayden Tracey
    27. Jamieson Rees
    28. Connor McMichael
    29. Ryan Suzuki
    30. Bobby Brink
    31. Daniil Misyul

Not ranked: Spencer Knight because goalies are voodoo, Yegor Afanaseyev because I didn't see enough of him.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    G0bias likes this.
  9. Goldenhands

Goldenhands Registered User

@WeThreeKings
    Facing the pros in your draft year is not easy for every kids, especially when you are tall and have to fill that frame, I would start to worry a bit about Broberg if there is no improvement in his D+1 year, but Im fairly confident that he will improve and shut his detractor saying he has IQ issue... That kid is good at defending, good in transition, has good reads and good understanding of whats is going on, just needs confidence and not worry to much about making mistakes here and there... I think Broberg gained in confidence at the U18 as the tournament went on, we all saw in the gold medal game how huge his potential was, the kid was everywhere on the ice doing everything at a pretty high level, skating, stickhandling, passing, shooting, physicality, defending, everything was there at the same time and it was a beauty to see...

I just love how this kid moves on the back end since you never know how he is going to hurt you in transition, once in motion, you never know if he is going to make the little short effective pass, that long crisp tape to tape pass or fool you and start skating and gain the zone by his own with his elite skating... Can switch gears pretty easily, what makes him imprevisive and tough to read for the opponents...

Vachon23 likes this.
  10. dackelljuneaubulis02

dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

I haven't seen Broberg but if the alleged IQ issues solely stem from decisions with the puck they might not be IQ issues. Especially since he's a kid playing in a men's league. Could be confidence and what not. That's where it gets really hard to judge. If he looks smart in other aspects of the game then maybe he's not a dummy.

Estimated_Prophet likes this.
  11. habsfan891

The IQ comments stem from Broberg's want to skate head down into traffic and shoot on end to end rushes instead of looking for other options that will never work in the nhl, but if he falls and we pick him I hope your 100% right about the confidence in a men's league idea.

WeThreeKings likes this.
  12. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Hes not better when hes with his peers though, he just doesnt rely on his IQ to produce, he does it with physical tools.

WeThreeKings likes this.
  13. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

yea not so much as here's all of Timmins picks from the junior A,

O'Byrne (BCHL), Dustin Walsh (OJHL), MacMillan (BCHL), Evans (OJHL), Koberstein (AJHL), Stapley (BCHL)

14. dackelljuneaubulis02

dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

yeah I mean I've never even seen him but there are times when people mistake IQ concerns with other things such as immaturity. IQ's a tough one. What you're saying may very well be IQ issues. It's always possible for decision-making to evolve as well but again it's a case by case basis.

habsfan891 likes this.
  15. Archijerej

Archijerej Registered User

Never again a player with IQ issues, please. God knows we had enough of them.

Runner77 likes this.
  16. FazChenyuk

FazChenyuk Registered User

Im actually more sold on Newhook then Kaliev

I want Newhook, he does seem a little underrated

dralaf likes this.
  17. WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings #1 Centre

A lot of fire with Vancouver and Edmonton wanting Broberg so I don't think we have to worry.

18. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    Cozens was in a situation where he was playing against older players due to where he lived and lack of talent his own age. He struggled at it and his is a strong boy so his parents decided it was best for him to move to BC to play against kids his own age. Look at him now?

Every prospect is different and it's very hard to compare the CHL to leagues with men in them cause the variables are hard to nail down.

Broberg is an offensive D man that likes to join the rush but the SHL is a very defensive and tight league. I think the stay at home type would survive more than Broberg's style in a mens league like that. Same issue Romanov has in the KHL.

I have no problem if the Habs take Broberg. In fact, I'd be very happy

Fans don't know what their real draft board looks like... just like we don't know what Timmins board looks like

Goldenhands likes this.
  19. Teufelsdreck

Teufelsdreck Registered User

I wish the Habs could pick within the top 10. They might if thee y trades and threw in an additional asset. I'm skeptical about any prospectpast the first 10, It's improbable that they'll pick a center because they have good prospects at that position. If they can't land a promising LHD then I'd go for a RHF with speed and goal scoring potential.

20. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    My issue is we need a goal scoring sniper in our prospect pool. I love Newhook but he is more of a all around offensive forward. He has goal scoring ability but it's hard to gauge with his BCHL seasons. Did he look like a sniper at the U18's? Anybody?

Our probability of hitting is a bit lower than the 5-10 range but not by much with the 15th pick. We will have a lot of options to choose from. If the Habs have done their homework like they did in the past two drafts, we are in good hands.

I hear Leblanc was pretty smart and had skills and skating back when. There is no perfect formula. I think the most important thing is the individuals hunger to keep improving. If you can asses that accurately somehow, you will draft very well.

Look at the 15-17/18 years and see where the player has come from. What adversity did they have to overcome and what is their trend curve.... Is it steep or flat? Take Lavoie for example, is he that much better this past season as he was the year prior? I don't believe so. Doesn't mean he will bust for sure but you become a bit concerned on what his development curve is at 18, 19, 20.

Look at Harley as another example. The kid is one of the youngest in this draft and he is on a steep upward trend. Will this flatten out or keep going? That is up to our scouts to decide based on a lot of homework.

Last edited by moderator montreal: Jun 20, 2019
  21. Johnny31

Johnny31 Registered User

From the Highlights, I saw one beautiful snip in a breakaway and the others plays was more of high IQ plays... nice passes, scoring goals because he was at the right place at the right time. He definitively have some finishing ability but I dont know about being a sniper.

22. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I think he has very good overall offensive game but does he snipe like Kaliyev? Not so sure about that. And don't misunderstand me, I like Newhook's game. I just don't know how good that shot really is.

If you feel Newhook can score 30+ goals in the NHL, I'd certainly be OK with him addressing some of our goal scoring power.

23. habshound247

habshound247 Registered User

Any predictions on who gets over-drafted? I'll predict Tomasino.

24. habsfan891

Ill bet York.

25. Acadien86

Acadien86 Registered User

Watched every games of the tournament. He has a great wrister that can beat goaltenders from far away (top of the circles). Add to that his great vision, passing and speed. The only knock about his U18 was insconsistency and turnovers. When he was on, he was on. His shot really surprised me, I wasn't expecting that quick of a release from him. I'm really high on him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.