2019 Entry Draft Thread (The Final Countdown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Journal de Montréal getting into the polling scouts trend (their writer consulted 11 NHL scouts) and they have the Habs taking York over Newhook: Repêchage simulé de la LNH: l’embarras du choix

They don’t have a history of taking guys from 2nd tier leagues but they did take Stapley last year and may have got a glimpse of Newhook at the time. I think they are really looking for a defender though.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Journal de Montréal getting into the polling scouts trend (their writer consulted 11 NHL scouts) and they have the Habs taking York over Newhook: Repêchage simulé de la LNH: l’embarras du choix
I don't read much French but I really hope that says doing so would be an embarrassing choice.

They don’t have a history of taking guys from 2nd tier leagues but they did take Stapley last year and may have got a glimpse of Newhook at the time. I think they are really looking for a defender though.
If they are looking for a defender that's fine and understandable but there are going to be better choices at 15 than York.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I'd really hope they don't pass up on a scoring forward who falls to them. They can get Ds in the subsequent rounds. It would be silly for them to lunge for a D if he's not the BPA, when that player is only likely to make the jump 2-3 years from now.

Reactions: habsfan891

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Final rankings time!

1. Kaapo Kakko
2. Jack Hughes
3. Bowen Byram
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Kirby Dach
6. Cole Caufield
7. Trevor Zegras
8. Matthew Boldy
9. Alex Newhook
10. Peyton Krebs
11. Moritz Seider
12. Arthur Kaliyev
13. Ville Heinola
14. Philip Tomasino
15. Pavel Dorofeyev
16. Vasilii Podkolzin
17. Victor Soderstrom
18. Vladislav Kolyachonok
19. Thomas Harley
20. Dylan Cozens
21. Cam York
22. Tobias Bjornfot
23. Philip Broberg
24. Nick Robertson
25. Raphael Lavoie
26. Brayden Tracey
27. Jamieson Rees
28. Connor McMichael
29. Ryan Suzuki
30. Bobby Brink
31. Daniil Misyul

Not ranked: Spencer Knight because goalies are voodoo, Yegor Afanaseyev because I didn't see enough of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: G0bias

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
@WeThreeKings
Facing the pros in your draft year is not easy for every kids, especially when you are tall and have to fill that frame, I would start to worry a bit about Broberg if there is no improvement in his D+1 year, but Im fairly confident that he will improve and shut his detractor saying he has IQ issue... That kid is good at defending, good in transition, has good reads and good understanding of whats is going on, just needs confidence and not worry to much about making mistakes here and there... I think Broberg gained in confidence at the U18 as the tournament went on, we all saw in the gold medal game how huge his potential was, the kid was everywhere on the ice doing everything at a pretty high level, skating, stickhandling, passing, shooting, physicality, defending, everything was there at the same time and it was a beauty to see...

I just love how this kid moves on the back end since you never know how he is going to hurt you in transition, once in motion, you never know if he is going to make the little short effective pass, that long crisp tape to tape pass or fool you and start skating and gain the zone by his own with his elite skating... Can switch gears pretty easily, what makes him imprevisive and tough to read for the opponents...

Reactions: Vachon23

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
@WeThreeKings
Facing the pros in your draft year is not easy for every kids, especially when you are tall and have to fill that frame, I would start to worry a bit about Broberg if there is no improvement in his D+1 year, but Im fairly confident that he will improve and shut his detractor saying he has IQ issue... That kid is good at defending, good in transition, has good reads and good understanding of whats is going on, just needs confidence and not worry to much about making mistakes here and there... I think Broberg gained in confidence at the U18 as the tournament went on, we all saw in the gold medal game how huge his potential was, the kid was everywhere on the ice doing everything at a pretty high level, skating, stickhandling, passing, shooting, physicality, defending, everything was there at the same time and it was a beauty to see...

I just love how this kid moves on the back end since you never know how he is going to hurt you in transition, once in motion, you never know if he is going to make the little short effective pass, that long crisp tape to tape pass or fool you and start skating and gain the zone by his own with his elite skating... Can switch gears pretty easily, what makes him imprevisive and tough to read for the opponents...

I haven't seen Broberg but if the alleged IQ issues solely stem from decisions with the puck they might not be IQ issues. Especially since he's a kid playing in a men's league. Could be confidence and what not. That's where it gets really hard to judge. If he looks smart in other aspects of the game then maybe he's not a dummy.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I haven't seen Broberg but if the alleged IQ issues solely stem from decisions with the puck they might not be IQ issues. Especially since he's a kid playing in a men's league. Could be confidence and what not. That's where it gets really hard to judge. If he looks smart in other aspects of the game then maybe he's not a dummy.
The IQ comments stem from Broberg's want to skate head down into traffic and shoot on end to end rushes instead of looking for other options that will never work in the nhl, but if he falls and we pick him I hope your 100% right about the confidence in a men's league idea.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes not better when hes with his peers though, he just doesnt rely on his IQ to produce, he does it with physical tools.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yea not so much as here's all of Timmins picks from the junior A,

O'Byrne (BCHL), Dustin Walsh (OJHL), MacMillan (BCHL), Evans (OJHL), Koberstein (AJHL), Stapley (BCHL)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The IQ comments stem from Broberg's want to skate head down into traffic and shoot on end to end rushes instead of looking for other options that will never work in the nhl, but if he falls and we pick him I hope your 100% right about the confidence in a men's league idea.

yeah I mean I've never even seen him but there are times when people mistake IQ concerns with other things such as immaturity. IQ's a tough one. What you're saying may very well be IQ issues. It's always possible for decision-making to evolve as well but again it's a case by case basis.

Reactions: habsfan891

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Im actually more sold on Newhook then Kaliev

I want Newhook, he does seem a little underrated

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
@WeThreeKings

Cozens was in a situation where he was playing against older players due to where he lived and lack of talent his own age. He struggled at it and his is a strong boy so his parents decided it was best for him to move to BC to play against kids his own age. Look at him now?

Every prospect is different and it's very hard to compare the CHL to leagues with men in them cause the variables are hard to nail down.

Broberg is an offensive D man that likes to join the rush but the SHL is a very defensive and tight league. I think the stay at home type would survive more than Broberg's style in a mens league like that. Same issue Romanov has in the KHL.

I have no problem if the Habs take Broberg. In fact, I'd be very happy

A lot of fire with Vancouver and Edmonton wanting Broberg so I don't think we have to worry.

Fans don't know what their real draft board looks like... just like we don't know what Timmins board looks like

Reactions: Goldenhands

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I wish the Habs could pick within the top 10. They might if thee y trades and threw in an additional asset. I'm skeptical about any prospectpast the first 10, It's improbable that they'll pick a center because they have good prospects at that position. If they can't land a promising LHD then I'd go for a RHF with speed and goal scoring potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im actually more sold on Newhook then Kaliev

I want Newhook, he does seem a little underrated

My issue is we need a goal scoring sniper in our prospect pool. I love Newhook but he is more of a all around offensive forward. He has goal scoring ability but it's hard to gauge with his BCHL seasons. Did he look like a sniper at the U18's? Anybody?

I wish the Habs could pick within the top 10. They might if thee y trades and threw in an additional asset. I'm skeptical about any prospectpast the first 10, It's improbable that they'll pick a center because they have good prospects at that position. If they can't land a promising LHD then I'd go for a RHF with speed and goal scoring potential.

Our probability of hitting is a bit lower than the 5-10 range but not by much with the 15th pick. We will have a lot of options to choose from. If the Habs have done their homework like they did in the past two drafts, we are in good hands.

Never again a player with IQ issues, please. God knows we had enough of them.

I hear Leblanc was pretty smart and had skills and skating back when. There is no perfect formula. I think the most important thing is the individuals hunger to keep improving. If you can asses that accurately somehow, you will draft very well.

Look at the 15-17/18 years and see where the player has come from. What adversity did they have to overcome and what is their trend curve.... Is it steep or flat? Take Lavoie for example, is he that much better this past season as he was the year prior? I don't believe so. Doesn't mean he will bust for sure but you become a bit concerned on what his development curve is at 18, 19, 20.

Look at Harley as another example. The kid is one of the youngest in this draft and he is on a steep upward trend. Will this flatten out or keep going? That is up to our scouts to decide based on a lot of homework.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny31

Aug 4, 2017
My issue is we need a goal scoring sniper in our prospect pool. I love Newhook but he is more of a all around offensive forward. He has goal scoring ability but it's hard to gauge with his BCHL seasons. Did he look like a sniper at the U18's? Anybody?

From the Highlights, I saw one beautiful snip in a breakaway and the others plays was more of high IQ plays... nice passes, scoring goals because he was at the right place at the right time. He definitively have some finishing ability but I dont know about being a sniper.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From the Highlights, I saw one beautiful snip in a breakaway and the others plays was more of high IQ plays... nice passes, scoring goals because he was at the right place at the right time. He definitively have some finishing ability but I dont know about being a sniper.

I think he has very good overall offensive game but does he snipe like Kaliyev? Not so sure about that. And don't misunderstand me, I like Newhook's game. I just don't know how good that shot really is.

If you feel Newhook can score 30+ goals in the NHL, I'd certainly be OK with him addressing some of our goal scoring power.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

Our probability of hitting is a bit lower than the 5-10 range but not by much with the 15th pick. We will have a lot of options to choose from. If the Habs have done their homework like they did in the past two drafts, we are in good hands.

I hear Leblanc was pretty smart and had skills and skating back when. There is no perfect formula. I think the most important thing is the individuals hunger to keep improving. If you can asses that accurately somehow, you will draft very well.

Look at the 15-17/18 years and see where the player has come from. What adversity did they have to overcome and what is their trend curve.... Is it steep or flat? Take Lavoie for example, is he that much better this past season as he was the year prior? I don't believe so. Doesn't mean he will bust for sure but you become a bit concerned on what his development curve is at 18, 19, 20.

Look at Harley as another example. The kid is one of the youngest in this draft and he is on a steep upward trend. Will this flatten out or keep going? That is up to our scouts to decide based on a lot of homework.

Watched every games of the tournament. He has a great wrister that can beat goaltenders from far away (top of the circles). Add to that his great vision, passing and speed. The only knock about his U18 was insconsistency and turnovers. When he was on, he was on. His shot really surprised me, I wasn't expecting that quick of a release from him. I'm really high on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad