2019 Entry Draft Thread Part XII

Choose Our 9 Picks For The 2019 NHL Draft (Here Or In The 2019's Official Habs Mock Draft Topic)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Hes going to be there for sure at 46, but so will one of Robertson (N &M), kolyonochok, Bjornfot, Knyazev, Jones, Thomson, Korczak, Hoglander, Holmstrom, Rees, Spence, Misyul, Johansson, Firstov, and I think theyre all better picks than Bolduc.

77 would be perfect though, hes the quebec kid and it appeases the mind of the Q clan,

I will be super surprised if Bolduc is still available at 77....I feel if we truly want him and like his size and potential...we should pick him at 46 or 50...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Heinola can certainly skate well enough. The only real knock on his skating is that he's not explosive enough to be that guy who rushes the puck up the ice. That's just not in his wheelhouse. He's a guy who's going to get his points in the o-zone using his smarts and skills. The questions are how much so, and is that guy worth 15?

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Heinola can certainly skate well enough. The only real knock on his skating is that he's not explosive enough to be that guy who rushes the puck up the ice. That's just not in his wheelhouse. He's a guy who's going to get his points in the o-zone using his smarts and skills. The questions are how much so, and is that guy worth 15?

Heinola has average speed and size.... better options at 15.... Newhook, Broberg, Seider or Harley.

Reactions: dralaf

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Heinola has average speed and size.... better options at 15.... Newhook, Broberg, Seider or Harley.
Yeah, exactly. Thats what I mean.

No, Heinola does not have average speed, by just repeating that fallacy over and over, you create a bias in the mind of the uninformed (Which is probably what happened to you) and it just snowballs from there on out.

He's as inclined to do it as Soderstrom, Bjornfot, York, Kniazev and others. à

Anyway, the head down skates on fire kind of plays happen once every 10 games unless you're a McDavid/Mete/Hughes level skater, and that is not the case for about 90% of the league, so I don't see the point.

If you look at the list of great D's of the past ten years there's no one that fits this bill. The league is all about moving the puck quickly, and there's nothing quicker than a pass.

I do agree that he should produce most of his points in the offensive zone, like 100% of the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Yeah, exactly. Thats what I mean.

No, Heinola does not have average speed, by just repeating that fallacy over and over, you create a bias in the mind of the uninformed (Which is probably what happened to you) and it just snowballs from there on out.

Fallacy???....no fallacy here....I saw him play.... average speed.... average size....
better choices will be available!!!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The point is to do well in the playoffs we need a much better team in front of the goalie. Right now, that means puck moving defensemen, fast and skilled forwards ideally with some size. This is the priority before a goalie in the first round, again only my opinion.

And between defenseman or forward I think it is harder to find an elite forward so go with the forward in the first round if a good one is available.
Like an elite two way defenseman?
Not sure why the goalie talk - 0% chance Habs pick Knight at #15, especially with Primeau killing it.
Barring a faller, I really believe the only real options they are considering in no particular order are:

1. Heinola
2. Seider
3. Broberg
4. Harley
5. Tomasino
6. Poulin
7. York

Yes that doesn't really narrow it down that much, I know.
I think it could be a perfect year for a trade down to still get one of these guys, perhaps with LA #22 + #33 if there is someone they covet to move up for.
My ?:

BPA (Habs 2019) = Defenseman
BPA (Habs 2019) = ?

I don't want a goalie with our 1st pick, but, if they pick Knight, so be it, won't be too happy with the organization, but won't ever wish bad luck on a kid.

Still, we have wayyy bigger needs up front.

And while we need quality LHDs, those are more pressing needs with the big club -now-, not in a couple years, so while we'll need some eventually in our pipeline (love Romanov, and think Harris may surprise if everything goes right), I don't think it's as much a need as another good, skilled forward prospect. And there will be plenty of interesting ones when our pick will come.

And while I think that we won't ever have too many Centers, especially skilled ones, we still need skill/size on the wings, given the composition of our team.

Just to be sure, I'm not a 'size advocate' over everything, but we'll need some if we want to have some success in the playoffs in the future...
Our old strong defenseman pipeline gone... It let us a monumental scar. Typically this 1909 as a whole defensive team... Our new strong defenseman pipeline is under construction. Haven't ended it still...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's as inclined to do it as Soderstrom, Bjornfot, York, Kniazev and others. à

Anyway, the head down skates on fire kind of plays happen once every 10 games unless you're a McDavid/Mete/Hughes level skater, and that is not the case for about 90% of the league, so I don't see the point.

If you look at the list of great D's of the past ten years there's no one that fits this bill. The league is all about moving the puck quickly, and there's nothing quicker than a pass.

I do agree that he should produce most of his points in the offensive zone, like 100% of the league.
I agree, but I do think Broberg, Seider, Harley and Byram are part of that 10% and that certainly adds to their value.

Reactions: phillytennis

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Funny enough, I wouldn't say Seider or Harley are better skaters than Heinola.
Well I think it's their length that helps them in that regard. It's alot harder to defend a 6'3"/6'4" guy on the rush travelling at the same speed as the 5'11"/6' guy.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I think the best case scenario for us is Boldy.

Everytime I consider the options at 15, the realistic options pale in comparison to getting someone like Boldy. The chances he drops to 15 are very slim, but if he drops to say 13 with Florida, then we can maybe flip picks and take on Reimer at the same time.

I could definitely see these 10 going before Florida...

Hughes
Kakko
Dach
Cozens
Byram
Turcotte
Zegras
Caufield
Krebs
Podkolzin

Then I could see 2 of
Newhook
Knight
Seider/Broberg/Soderstrom/Heinola/Harley/York
Kaliyev

going before the 13th pick

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I think the best case scenario for us is Boldy.

Everytime I consider the options at 15, the realistic options pale in comparison to getting someone like Boldy. The chances he drops to 15 are very slim, but if he drops to say 13 with Florida, then we can maybe flip picks and take on Reimer at the same time.

I could definitely see these 10 going before Florida...

Hughes
Kakko
Dach
Cozens
Byram
Turcotte
Zegras
Caufield
Krebs
Podkolzin

Then I could see 2 of
Newhook
Knight
Seider/Broberg/Soderstrom/Heinola/Harley/York
Kaliyev

going before the 13th pick

Boldy....I doubt he will still be there when we pick at 15.

Reactions: Vachon23

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So here, I can provide video evidence of him being an above average skater. Yet again, Ive done it before and it was just shoved aside.

Theres more too, this was only from one shift by shift video, up to the 8th minute.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Pod is the most likely to fall to 15 due to the Russian factor, and while I generally am not a fan of russians in the first, I think it would fit the home run swing, plus he plays a NA style ala Radulov. In terms of pure grade, he's the top winger in this draft IMO. But being a russian winger can hurt you on draft day...

I'd be thrilled with any of Pod, Newhook, or Boldy though.

Reactions: dralaf and NoQuinn

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I think Pod is the most likely to fall to 15 due to the Russian factor, and while I generally am not a fan of russians in the first, I think it would fit the home run swing, plus he plays a NA style ala Radulov. In terms of pure grade, he's the top winger in this draft IMO. But being a russian winger can hurt you on draft day...

I'd be thrilled with any of Pod, Newhook, or Boldy though.
Agreed with Pod, I think it's one of those things where he goes from too highly ranked (by a couple of slots IMO) to being underrated. I can't help but feel he'd fit perfectly in the high pace style the Habs are trying to employ.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Agreed with Pod, I think it's one of those things where he goes from too highly ranked (by a couple of slots IMO) to being underrated. I can't help but feel he'd fit perfectly in the high pace style the Habs are trying to employ.
He'd fit like a glove, can skate, competes hard in both ends, has size and can be dynamic offensively. He's a future franchise winger ala Radulov/Tarasenko IMHO who can beat you in a number of ways.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
No one:
Random posters: Heinolas an average skater
MrB1P: Heres factual evidence that he is better than that
No one: crickets

Rince repeat

Harley and Seider are faster on skates...maybe, Heinola is a faster runner in a pair of running shoes.

I would rather have Newhook over Podolzin...any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
No one:
Random posters: Heinolas an average skater
MrB1P: Heres factual evidence that he is better than that
No one: crickets

Rince repeat
From now on, dou your factual evidence with Dourothy...

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Harley certainly isnt. Not in a game situation, in fact he rarely uses his skating.

It's Harley tremendous effortless skating that jumps out at you when you watch him play....as one of the youngest in the draft is overall potential is quite high.... Button compares him to Thomas Chabot...
though I think that he is a slightly better skater than Chabot.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So here, I can provide video evidence of him being an above average skater. Yet again, Ive done it before and it was just shoved aside.

Theres more too, this was only from one shift by shift video, up to the 8th minute.
I don't always agree with you lol, but on this one I do. Lots of people don't understand the complexities of being a "good skater"; they only consider straight line speed. For a D man, edgework is by far the most important skill related to skating and that's something Heinola has in spades. It allows a D man to be effective offensively and defensively. In the D zone, it is essential to a good gap control and in the O zone, it will allow a player to navigate the blue line to find shooting lanes. He's definitely an above average skater who developed his technique to suit his positional needs. I wouldn't be surprised if he's our pick.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Harley certainly isnt. Not in a game situation, in fact he rarely uses his skating.
I'm with you on Heinola, believe me. But Harley absolutely uses his skating; I saw him live several times this year in the O. His game is to lead the charge on offense and then use his great skating and long strides to get back in time. Take issue with his physical game and his lacklustre defensive play, but he is a beautiful skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad