2019 Entry Draft Thread Part XII

Choose Our 9 Picks For The 2019 NHL Draft (Here Or In The 2019's Official Habs Mock Draft Topic)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm with you on Heinola, believe me. But Harley absolutely uses his skating; I saw him live several times this year in the O. His game is to lead the charge on offense and then use his great skating and long strides to get back in time. Take issue with his physical game and his lacklustre defensive play, but he is a beautiful skater.
He's all about quick movement of the puck with short passes and staying back, at least thats what Ive seen from watching the Steelheads. Liam Ham is the one that does the carrying up ice most of the time, and thats mostly because he's just a flat out better skater than Harley.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Okay, 2 part question. Which draft ranking do you guys find most accurately predicts how draft day goes, and which do you find most accurately predicts where players should have gone? This could be central, ISS, bobby mac, elite prospects, even Craig button lol

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So here, I can provide video evidence of him being an above average skater. Yet again, Ive done it before and it was just shoved aside.

Theres more too, this was only from one shift by shift video, up to the 8th minute.

You’re just showing great edgework. He has that. But his straight line acceleration isn’t good, which is what I said. Edgework is useful when you have the puck on your stick. It doesn’t help you get to loose pucks first, which is his problem. Then he will get outmuscled.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You’re just showing great edgework. He has that. But his straight line acceleration isn’t good, which is what I said. Edgework is useful when you have the puck on your stick. It doesn’t help you get to loose pucks first, which is his problem. Then he will get outmuscled.

He literally picks up a loose puck and shake off two forecheckers in one of the gif.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lets say Poulin is still available in the 31-40 range. What picks do we have to add on top of the 46th to move in that range?

Would the 46th, 77th, and 130th picks do it? Or would we have to trade both 2nd's (46th and 50th)?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Look at the Hillis trade last year, something close to that

Wouldn't the cost be higher to get that 31-40 range pick due to the increased probability of hitting on a NHL player vs 3rd round and later?

Depending on who we can negotiate a trade in the 31-40 range, I see it this way or something close to this. I honestly think we are going to try to use our quantity of picks to get better quality and if Poulin is available in that 31-40 range (which is think he will be), we will be trying to swing a deal.

- 31st for 46 and 50 (maybe another later pick needs to be added? :dunno:)
vs
- 40 for 46 and 77.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
say what??!
:facepalm:

Dump and chase, that’s all teams will have to do. Edgework doesn’t help there.

I like the guy, if the Habs draft him I’ll root for him. But we need to stop being chastised for saying he needs to work on things when he clearly does.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’d be very interested in seeing combine measurements.

Ryan Johnson (a defender in the USHL) was interviewed by all 31 teams, which is rare. Mete level skating and bigger (6’0). He’s a Timmins type of pick for the 2nd round.

Reactions: montreal

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I found out yesterday that Heinola played on the right side this year (his off-side) which makes his season even more impressive in my books. Can somebody who watched the U18s tell me if he was playing on the left side during the tournament? If yes, it could explain his average performance considering he was adjusting to the position.

Reactions: Frank JT

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I found out yesterday that Heinola played on the right side this year (his off-side) which makes his season even more impressive in my books. Can somebody who watched the U18s tell me if he was playing on the left side during the tournament? If yes, it could explain his average performance considering he was adjusting to the position.
He played both sides all year.

He was with Kokkonen in the u18 but I cannot remember which sides they played.

FWIW, he looked much better anytime he was on the left side in Liiga. I think he played the whole POs on the left and had his best time there.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He played both sides all year.

He was with Kokkonen in the u18 but I cannot remember which sides they played.

FWIW, he looked much better anytime he was on the left side in Liiga. I think he played the whole POs on the left and had his best time there.
Since Kokkonen is a LHD, I would assume Heinola played on the right side unless Kokkonen is comfortable playing both sides too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't like him. He's not worth trading up for and yeah I'd rather crack at three guys than Poulin + 1.

Interesting... I'm seeing mixed reviews on Poulin. I just don't know the 2nd round options that well. Not sure where the talent drops off in the 2nd round in this next draft. 46 and 50 are mid round ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad