Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Speaking of 5 nations, I'm here trying to watch like

tenor.gif

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Habs are in excellent position to draft a Q-boy in the 1st round this season. Raphãel Lavoie, Nathan Légaré and Samuel Poulin are 3 that should be drafted between 20th-29th pick. I would love to package a 2nd or a 3rd to move higher and make sure we don't miss out.
It's 100% sure that there's going to be a player that is better or equal around where the Habs will draft, makes no sense to trade a draft pick so that we can get a Q guy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Whats up with the 5-nation ? I don't have any time to watch it because it's mid-term here.

I'm also still not sure on Tomasino, first round ? Really ? There seems to be a lot of players that have a better skill package than him in the top 30.

From what I've seen Tomasino gave me some Hartman vibe, which is not a bad player to draft later in the first round, mind you, especially if you're going to draft a 6'6 mammoth who wouldn't win a foot race with a timbit hockey player, but I have to think there's more somewhere ?

I don't agree at all with the Ylonen comparison, to me it stops on skating alone, Ylonen just has a lot more skills in his tool box, his shortcoming is the unwillingness to use those efficiently.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Whats up with the 5-nation ? I don't have any time to watch it because it's mid-term here.

I'm also still not sure on Tomasino, first round ? Really ? There seems to be a lot of players that have a better skill package than him in the top 30.

From what I've seen Tomasino gave me some Hartman vibe, which is not a bad player to draft later in the first round, mind you, especially if you're going to draft a 6'6 mammoth who wouldn't win a foot race with a timbit hockey player, but I have to think there's more somewhere ?

I don't agree at all with the Ylonen comparison, to me it stops on skating alone, Ylonen just has a lot more skills in his tool box, his shortcoming is the unwillingness to use those efficiently.
Look at him more closely when you have a chance. He has way more skills than you give him credit for.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Look at him more closely when you have a chance. He has way more skills than you give him credit for.
What does he do that is likely to translate into a first line forward ? He's fast, has good hands and his shot is good but not great. That's what I've seen. When you have players like Robertson, Dorofeyev, Afanasyev, Rees, Caufield, Matrosimone, and thats just for forwards, without mentioning any of the top 20ish ones.

What he does have though is a knack for playing at high speed with high pace and I love that.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I'd actually recommend watching the most recent Sarnia game if you get a chance, because I largely had the same impression until watching that game. I deemed him ''frenetic and not terribly effective.'' Which is an opinion that I no longer hold.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd actually recommend watching the most recent Sarnia game if you get a chance, because I largely had the same impression until watching that game. I deemed him ''frenetic and not terribly effective.'' Which is an opinion that I no longer hold.
Will try. I guess the next question would be, is he consistent enough in his play ? Because through three games Ive seen him split defenses and all, but I haven't seen NHL offense level from him, you know, the smart kind, not the Drouin kind, because he can do that for sure.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What does he do that is likely to translate into a first line forward ? He's fast, has good hands and his shot is good but not great. That's what I've seen. When you have players like Robertson, Dorofeyev, Afanasyev, Rees, Caufield, Matrosimone, and thats just for forwards, without mentioning any of the top 20ish ones.

What he does have though is a knack for playing at high speed with high pace and I love that.
How about the non stop motor?

Top end talent is not everything you need to look at talent and dedication.

Tomasino reminds me of Gallagher, Marchand and yes these type of player are way valuable to a contender team.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Will try. I guess the next question would be, is he consistent enough in his play ? Because through three games Ive seen him split defenses and all, but I haven't seen NHL offense level from him, you know, the smart kind, not the Drouin kind, because he can do that for sure.

Yeah that's generally the question. If you judged Olofsson by his best games last year you should have had him as a top 15 guy. But watching him on a consistent basis it was pretty clear he didn't belong there.

Reactions: covfefe and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How about the non stop motor?

Top end talent is not everything you need to look at talent and dedication.

Tomasino reminds me of Gallagher, Marchand and yes these type of player are way valuable to a contender team.
I already acknowledged the non-stop motor, but that doesn't make you a top line forward. Marchand is highly skilled as a goal scorer and a playmaker, Gallagher is underrated as a goal scorer and he's one of the most elusive puck carrier Ive seen in my life. Tomasino could very well be Gallagher, but Ive never seen him beat a goalie cleanly like Gallagher has done in the past.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If we're talking about elusive puck carriers, and I'm not sure why we would be when discussing Gallagher, Massimo Rizzo deserves a mention. He reminds me of Gomez with his puck carrying ability.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Anyone have rosters for the 5 Nations? Haven't seen any games yet but figured I'd catch a few.

If you go to the thread there's some scattered rosters but some of them don't have numbers. Off the top of my head

Finland

11 - Puistola
15 - Suomela
26 - Tieksola

Russia

16 - Nikolayev
18 - Spiridonov
19 - Podkolzin

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
If we're talking about elusive puck carriers, and I'm not sure why we would be when discussing Gallagher, Massimo Rizzo deserves a mention. He reminds me of Gomez with his puck carrying ability.

He's really smooth, going to watch him live tomorrow night. Can report back a bit. I thought he would take off this year but it seems like he's having some lingering injury issues.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Kaliyev now has 41 goals 40 assists in 52 games... I wonder if a team in the top-10 will think about taking him early

Reactions: Habs76

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I think some people are skeptical of Brayden Tracey being carried by Josh Brook. But the thing is, if they have that good chemistry together, why not keep them together in MTL? If a 17-year-old is putting up 1.14 PPG he's obviously doing something right. He looks even better when you actually watch him too. People have him ranked like 70-140 but personally I'd take him as early as 30 or 40.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think some people are skeptical of Brayden Tracey being carried by Josh Brook. But the thing is, if they have that good chemistry together, why not keep them together in MTL? If a 17-year-old is putting up 1.14 PPG he's obviously doing something right. He looks even better when you actually watch him too. People have him ranked like 70-140 but personally I'd take him as early as 30 or 40.

I wouldn't describe myself as skeptical of Tracey. More like Tracey curious.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
1st mock of the year is pretty much done: 2019 7-Round Mock Draft 1.0 (All GMs see post #552)

1(20): Matthew Robertson
2(51): Jordan Spence
2(54): Jamieson Rees
3(82): Alex Beaucage
4(113): Yegor Serdyuk
4(123): Josh Nodler
5(126): Ryan Siedem
5(135): Zac Jones
6(175): Christopher Merisier-Ortiz
7(215): Jack Malone

Really like Beaucage in the 3rd round, I think he's underrated big time.

Also, is it really '99 D Jack Malone, in the 7th round, or '00 F John Malone ? (cause if John, could be one great sleeper pick)

Reactions: Vachon23

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Beating goalies in general is probably more a function of getting them off their angle than anything else, unless we're talking Laine or Ovechkin level releases. That's the biggest reason why Matthews scores so much: goalies are just not square to his shot, which kinda implies that he gets it off quickly.

This is exactly it, actually. NHLers rarely beat goaltenders clean. If you look at replays, they're always putting deception on their shots by using shot strides from both legs and/or changing the angle of their shots. Laine, Matthews and Ovechkin do it on another level on top of having wristers/snaps that are basically accurate slap shots.

And good to know people are about 4 months late on Dorofeyev :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad