2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Lundell is awesome. He was so good for a D-2 at the U18s last year. Simontaival is also extremely lethal. He doesn't need much of a chance to score.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That could not be more accurate.
He could challenge for 1st overall next year.

If we had first, I'd want Lundell but I think I would take Lafreniere. It would be so much more peaceful around here if we had a bonafide superstar from Montreal. Then the rest of the team could just operate as is and no one would bring up any agendas.

Paradise.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
They certainly helped but the value of a center is and will always be higher.
Agree if both have the same talent level, the center will always be more valuable, but as far as the Habs are concerned, we badly need a game breaker on our top 6, if thats a center, wonderful, if thats a winger, thats still quite fine...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agree if both have the same talent level, the center will always be more valuable, but as far as the Habs are concerned, we badly need a game breaker on our top 6, if thats a center, wonderful, if thats a winger, thats still quite fine...

Oh absolutely, just that if I were choosing a year to tank and I was comparing his list to this year's list. I'd choose this year.

But both years are looking good. Hughes and Dach vs. Lafreniere and Lundell is still great.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oh absolutely, just that if I were choosing a year to tank and I was comparing his list to this year's list. I'd choose this year.

But both years are looking good. Hughes and Dach vs. Lafreniere and Lundell is still great.
I really don't think Dach is close to Lafreniere/Lundell or even Holtz/Raymond by the end of 2020.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

I personally have a couple of guys over Dach, one being Cozens...

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Lundell is a 2001 while raymond+holtz are 2002. The age difference matters at that age.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm rewatching some of Dorofeyev's first few KHL games and a couple MHL. Besides the typical lanky Russian forward skillset, his poise and decision-making with the puck reminds me alot of Kravtsov last year. He's very unpredictable to defend as he's not afraid to mix things up offensively, as opposed to a player like say Shafigullin who likes to take on defenders 1on1 alot.

Physically he's very raw though. He'll need to get stronger to improve his balance and explosiveness out of the gate.

Last edited:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Lundell is a 2001 while raymond+holtz are 2002. The age difference matters at that age.
As a general rule I agree but I don't know if it's as significant for the best of the crop. Lafreniere is also few weeks removed from the 2019 cut-off. Matthews was also older for his class.

In any case Holtz and Lundell are in the same tier for me, I just tend to prefer the center.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As a general rule I agree but I don't know if it's as significant for the best of the crop. Lafreniere is also few weeks removed from the 2019 cut-off. Matthews was also older for his class.

In any case Holtz and Lundell are in the same tier for me, I just tend to prefer the center.
If I remember @LastWordArmy has a piece on top talent and their age, conclusion is that it doesnt matter.

Personally, I think its something really case by case where you can see some players are 100% dominating on tools and its not going to translate much and their floor/ceiling.

Reactions: G0bias

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If I remember @LastWordArmy has a piece on top talent and their age, conclusion is that it doesnt matter.

Personally, I think its something really case by case where you can see some players are 100% dominating on tools and its not going to translate much and their floor/ceiling.

When you're right up against the ceiling of how good a human can be, things like age tend not to matter.

Reactions: Mrb1p

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm rewatching some of Dorofeyev's first few KHL games and a couple MHL. Besides the typical lanky Russian forward skillset, his poise and decision-making with the puck reminds me alot of Kravtsov last year. He's very unpredictable to defend as he's not afraid to mix things up offensively, as opposed to a player like say Shafigullin who likes to take on defenders 1on1 alot.

Physically he's very raw though. He'll need to get stronger to improve his balance and explosiveness out of the gate.

The thing that sticks out the most to me about Dorofeyev is his coordination. Russians, as a rule, have pretty highly developed skillsets, so you have to separate what is from talent and what is from training. There are a few plays, though, which you can't really train: it's just him improvising on the fly to come up with something quite brilliant. He also makes things look very simple, almost like the opponents are letting him score (at the MHL level). This reminds me of Svechnikov.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

The same forum that made a big deal that kotekami is 2 months younger than dahlin.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

It wasnt our piece but i remember posting it here.

Basically the conclusion was age (birthdate) doesnt matter in top 10 talent but later in the draft it matters a lot.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
@Stive Morgan
@covfefe

Brayden Tracey, Reece Newkirk, Adam Beckman. Rank 'em.
Ive watched a game to see Tracey since Stive told me he was good. Kid sure has scoring instincts. He can also wheel it and his hands are good. Not sure there's much play making from him, though his assist number is pretty high, so there has to be something there.

I've seen him score from everywhere below the circles but not from further away, not sure there's much power behind his shot, but he's also one of the thinnest kids Ive seen, so that may be it. Great release though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad