Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Tracey
Newkirk
Beckman

Tracey a nudge above the other two.

Nice. See top 6 upside in any of them? I saw one game of Tracey's, against PA, and he was pretty good. He scored a goal short side which demonstrated a quick reaction time: goals need to be scored right away. But other than that it's hard to get a read on a play. Good skater, good hands, seems to know what he's doing.

Ive watched a game to see Tracey since Stive told me he was good. Kid sure has scoring instincts. He can also wheel it and his hands are good. Not sure there's much play making from him, though his assist number is pretty high, so there has to be something there.

I've seen him score from everywhere below the circles but not from further away, not sure there's much power behind his shot, but he's also one of the thinnest kids Ive seen, so that may be it. Great release though.

In forwards I mostly look for a quick shot as opposed to a powerful one. He seems to have a quick shot.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nice. See top 6 upside in any of them? I saw one game of Tracey's, against PA, and he was pretty good. He scored a goal short side which demonstrated a quick reaction time: goals need to be scored right away. But other than that it's hard to get a read on a play. Good skater, good hands, seems to know what he's doing.

In forwards I mostly look for a quick shot as opposed to a powerful one. He seems to have a quick shot.
It's the difference between being a tweener to being the real deal, most of the time. Beating goalies from 25 feet out is an elite skill that just transforms your whole game. Still, he could be a good player.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's the difference between being a tweener to being the real deal, most of the time. Beating goalies from 25 feet out is an elite skill that just transforms your whole game. Still, he could be a good player.

Beating goalies in general is probably more a function of getting them off their angle than anything else, unless we're talking Laine or Ovechkin level releases. That's the biggest reason why Matthews scores so much: goalies are just not square to his shot, which kinda implies that he gets it off quickly.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Speaking as a goalie:

You need to be able to do two of these three things to be a good goal scorer.
Have a quick release.
Have impeccable accuracy.
Shoot really hard.

If you can shoot hard and quickly. You will score.
If you can shoot quick and accurately. You will score.
If you shoot hard and accurately. You will score.
If you can do all three. You're Ovechkin.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
@Stive Morgan
@covfefe

Brayden Tracey, Reece Newkirk, Adam Beckman. Rank 'em.

Tracey
Beckman
Newkirk

An interesting one though - 3 of the most intriguing players from out west, and all guys I hope our staff are paying attention to.

- Tracey and Beckman were both held back to play AAA last year - so unsurprisingly, Newkirk is the only one playing C. But there aren't a lot of guys who make that jump and put up near PPG numbers, so I have both ahead for now. Both have also been better from Dec-onwards.

- All need to add strength and speed, all strong offensive players

- I like Beckman's skating the most of the 3, he fits in well on Anderson-Dolan's wing and JAD is one of the fastest guys in the W

- Newkirk will have the best opportunity to increase his stock in the last third of the season if he plays well with Glass out

I like Luke Toporowski from Spokane as well. Kid is unsurprisingly tough as nails and has some skills, kind of a ~Shaw type.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Tracey
Beckman
Newkirk

An interesting one though - 3 of the most intriguing players from out west, and all guys I hope our staff are paying attention to.

- Tracey and Beckman were both held back to play AAA last year - so unsurprisingly, Newkirk is the only one playing C. But there aren't a lot of guys who make that jump and put up near PPG numbers, so I have both ahead for now. Both have also been better from Dec-onwards.

- All need to add strength and speed, all strong offensive players

- I like Beckman's skating the most of the 3, he fits in well on Anderson-Dolan's wing and JAD is one of the fastest guys in the W

- Newkirk will have the best opportunity to increase his stock in the last third of the season if he plays well with Glass out

I like Luke Toporowski from Spokane as well. Kid is unsurprisingly tough as nails and has some skills, kind of a ~Shaw type.

Nice, I'll focus on these guys next. Am I crazy or are the Victoria Grizzlies gonna have 3 NHL draft picks this year?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Boucheler or Berger? Either guy could be a late rounder in my mind.

Berger's shot is insane and that alone could get him signed if he goes unpicked.

But yeah, it's very unusual to see this many potential draft picks on one Jr roster, particularly when they don't have Penticton-type carrots to dangle (wink wink...hint hint...nudge nudge...etc)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Boucheler or Berger? Either guy could be a late rounder in my mind.

Berger's shot is insane and that alone could get him signed if he goes unpicked.

Berger, IMO. He's a free breakout. I'm not sure that I've ever seen him fail to skate the puck out of his zone.

But yeah, it's very unusual to see this many potential draft picks on one Jr roster, particularly when they don't have Penticton-type carrots to dangle (wink wink...hint hint...nudge nudge...etc)

So that's how they got Rizzo from Kamloops.

f12Dtum.gif

Reactions: Mrb1p

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
For sure, he has been impressive this season. A D-man breaking the 20 goal mark is pretty big in the BCHL - last year the leader for D had 12.

Interestingly, you have to go back to 2011/12 to see the last D with 20 goals, one of them was our very own Mike Reilly..

And I guess I am kind of half joking about Penticton, nothing's ever come out of there a la Portland/Windsor, but they do have some big money owners and a $60 million arena.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Watched Tomasino vs Rees last night. Tomasino was much better than the first time I watched him. He and Rees went back and forth with excellent plays: Rees making insane passes and Tomasino attacking the net. Tomasino came out ahead, though, IMO. Rees had some good scoring opportunities in the first period but bizarrely opted to pass instead of taking the shot. When he finally decided to shoot in the 3rd he scored a beautiful goal: quick, hard and accurate shot to the top corner. Tomasino scored on the very next shift though, splitting the D and taking a quick low shot. I really like Rees as a potential 2nd round pick, and if we keep climbing the standings, Tomasino becomes an interesting target in the first.

Reactions: covfefe

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Watched Tomasino vs Rees last night. Tomasino was much better than the first time I watched him. He and Rees went back and forth with excellent plays: Rees making insane passes and Tomasino attacking the net. Tomasino came out ahead, though, IMO. Rees had some good scoring opportunities in the first period but bizarrely opted to pass instead of taking the shot. When he finally decided to shoot in the 3rd he scored a beautiful goal: quick, hard and accurate shot to the top corner. Tomasino scored on the very next shift though, splitting the D and taking a quick low shot. I really like Rees as a potential 2nd round pick, and if we keep climbing the standings, Tomasino becomes an interesting target in the first.
I've been big on Tomasino all year, I really think he's got a dynamic quality to his game that could make him pretty special at the next level. He's all motor and he can really skate.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I've been big on Tomasino all year, I really think he's got a dynamic quality to his game that could make him pretty special at the next level. He's all motor and he can really skate.

I wasn't that impressed the first time I saw him, and I should admit that I went into that game almost biased in favour of Rees. But he managed to change my mind pretty quickly. He's a fantastic skater, as you say ''all motor'' but there are some great skills to go with it. Brooks is really high on him, and last time I listened to him I drafted Damiani in the 6th lol.

He actually reminds me a bit of Ylönen, who I had in the first last year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wasn't that impressed the first time I saw him, and I should admit that I went into that game almost biased in favour of Rees. But he managed to change my mind pretty quickly. He's a fantastic skater, as you say ''all motor'' but there are some great skills to go with it. Brooks is really high on him, and last time I listened to him I drafted Damiani in the 6th lol.

He actually reminds me a bit of Ylönen, who I had in the first last year.
I believe I called him a '''Gallagher-type'', skill and effort hybrid player a few weeks back. I still stand by that.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I believe I called him a '''Gallagher-type'', skill and effort hybrid player a few weeks back. I still stand by that.

I was thinking about player comps recently, specifically the Gallagher one. I think the Gallagher one gets made a lot because it conveys a pretty clear message (his game is simple), and it's not outrageous, because after all he's a fairly limited player. He's not winning any individual awards. Good player! But you're allowed to invoke that comparison without mollifiers like ''poor man's.'' Anyone who's north south, never takes a shift off, some offensive talent, and not huge: Gallagher. But it doesn't work for my pet project this year: Bobby Brink (oh f*** here he goes again).

Brink is always in the crease. Like, even when he doesn't score, or get an assist he happens to be in the crease. What's weird about it - and why the Gallagher comparison doesn't work - is that he never (and I mean never) gets hit while doing it. He never takes damage and he's always in the crease, which represents a fundamentally different approach from Brendan's. I have seen him score from the crease and the defenceman never saw him, much less laid a finger on him. I've seen him skate through the crease, and get two scoring chances and a goal without getting hit. Now, some of this is explained by the fact that it's the USHL, but not all of it. Some of these defenders are draft picks (Arvid Henrikson), a lot of them are D1 commits, they know you're not supposed to let someone into a high scoring area without paying a price. And he never pays it.

You know who he reminds me of? Mark Recchi. There, I said it. No ''poor man's.''

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm seeing Tyler Madden in Tomasino.

There's some interesting C options that could make a case at our pick and depending how much we "drop". Besides the big names, there's McMichael, Tomasino, Nikolayev, not to mention Spiridonov brings an interesting package, though I still haven't figured exactly how much upside he's got.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm seeing Tyler Madden in Tomasino.

There's some interesting C options that could make a case at our pick and depending how much we "drop". Besides the big names, there's McMichael, Tomasino, Nikolayev, not to mention Spiridonov brings an interesting package, though I still haven't figured exactly how much upside he's got.

More than Nikolayev.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
More than Nikolayev.
Go on
Edit: Spiridonov's upside, yeah I can see how some would see it that way. Spiridonov impacts the game on a wider scale, while I find Nikolayev's skillset a bit sharper offensively though Spiridonov's quite toolsy himself. They're in the same tier for me. Could be anywhere from late 1st to mid 2nds.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

When you watch Spiridonov he does all the things you want a player to do from shift to shift. The upside questions kinda remind me of the same upside questions about Morozov. If he connects on a few good shots, like he did in his first game of the 5 nations tournament, all of a sudden these questions start to look silly. I watched a Stalny Lisy game yesterday, and you could notice Spiridonov's absence, even if they had Dorofeyev. A lot of smart little plays from Pavel turned into dead ends, or near disasters because his replacement linemates bobbled the puck (Pavel was responsible for one, too).

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
I think Cam York could be a really good target for us. He's really underrated because he doesn't have 1 elite skill, but he's a really effective Dman. He reminds me of Fowler honestly.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Habs are in excellent position to draft a Q-boy in the 1st round this season. Raphãel Lavoie, Nathan Légaré and Samuel Poulin are 3 that should be drafted between 20th-29th pick. I would love to package a 2nd or a 3rd to move higher and make sure we don't miss out.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
When you watch Spiridonov he does all the things you want a player to do from shift to shift. The upside questions kinda remind me of the same upside questions about Morozov. If he connects on a few good shots, like he did in his first game of the 5 nations tournament, all of a sudden these questions start to look silly. I watched a Stalny Lisy game yesterday, and you could notice Spiridonov's absence, even if they had Dorofeyev. A lot of smart little plays from Pavel turned into dead ends, or near disasters because his replacement linemates bobbled the puck (Pavel was responsible for one, too).
I still want to go back and see more of him without Dorofeyev, the one game I did watch when Pavel was up I found him just okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->