2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As much as I like the way they've started and the new vibe with the team it could do long-term damage if we pick 15th. Adding another top 5 talent would be huge, but there are too many bad teams the Habs are simply better than. It's going to take a low odds lottery win to get Hughes/Kakko/Dach or Cozens.

Even if we end up picking 8-12, in this draft that's a real good prospect. I'm open to any position, we need help everywhere (besides goalie). Please just don't miss the playoffs by a couple points.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Any OHL fans know anything about Justin Brazeau? I want some more info about him but I don't feel like making a main board thread.

6"6 RW, 20 years old playing his 4th season in the O. In 14 games with North Bay he has 15 goals and and 17 assists, leading the league in scoring. He also had 39 goals and 36 assists in 68 games last year.

Is he an interesting undrafted prospect to keep tabs on? Did he get any invites to past rookie camps? Is he too slow, etc

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Any OHL fans know anything about Justin Brazeau? I want some more info about him but I don't feel like making a main board thread.

6"6 RW, 20 years old playing his 4th season in the O. In 14 games with North Bay he has 15 goals and and 17 assists, leading the league in scoring. He also had 39 goals and 36 assists in 68 games last year.

Is he an interesting undrafted prospect to keep tabs on? Did he get any invites to past rookie camps? Is he too slow, etc

I was just about to post exactly the same question haha.

His teammate Matthew Struthers is interesting too, went undrafted last year, 24 points in 11 games so far. I remember some guys here talking about him as a potential late round selection last year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Matthre Struthers was a favorite of mine, so I got to see plenty of Brazeau once he got traded there. Guy is huge, but he's not really physical. He's weak more often than not, and not particularly slow, but has less than decent acceleration. He does have filthy hands and a real good IQ though, thats mostly his strengths.

He was invited to the Sharks camp, this year.

Struthers is the real gem in the rough teams missed on imo.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was just about to post exactly the same question haha.

His teammate Matthew Struthers is interesting too, went undrafted last year, 24 points in 11 games so far. I remember some guys here talking about him as a potential late round selection last year.
Struthers is a guy I really liked, and Im really surprised he wasn't picked up late. He's not pretty on the ice but he can surely score goals.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Struthers is a guy I really liked, and Im really surprised he wasn't picked up late. He's not pretty on the ice but he can surely score goals.

Where would you consider taking him in the draft is he ends the year with, say, 70-80ish points in 60ish games?

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
same. I initially wanted Suzuki in our 2C spot moving forward but with Domi absolutely killing it and looking at home at the centre position we can slot Suzuki on the wing.

xxx-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki
Drouin-Poehling-Tatar

or something like that.

Ideally we bring in a game breaking, star winger at some point.

I wonder if we'd be able to lure Panarin over here... :naughty::dunno:

Habs would be better off with

Drouin-Dach-Gallagher
Domi-Kotka-Suzuki
Lehkonen-Poehling-Byron

Reactions: WeThreeKings

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It’s way too early tho, I think the habs have won 2 October cups in the last 4 years. Don’t let the early success fool you.
it is early, but this is a team that has also finally adapted to the new NHL in terms of speed, is the youngest team in the league, has a goalie that has seemingly regained his form and is making everything look easy again, have seen the likes of young defensemen like Mike Reilly and Noah Juulsen develop into legitimate, unlikely (at least this year) top-4 options, has seen Domi strive in the centre position while Kotkaniemi is getting better with every game -- already making our centre situation much better than last years, and most importantly, we're doing all this without Shea Weber.

it's early, sure, but the odds that we're a lottery team are very, very low, barring another huge collapse. It seems like the locker room is very tight knit and the leadership group is right. We have an excellent new face behind the bench in Ducharme who seems to be a huge driving force in our new system.

To think we'll be challenging the likes of the Rangers or Wings, two legitimately bad teams, for a lottery spot just isn't realistic at this point.

The most likely scenario that happens for us is that we miss the playoffs by one point, yet get that Carolina luck and win a lottery pick.

Reactions: Frank JT

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It’s way too early tho, I think the habs have won 2 October cups in the last 4 years. Don’t let the early success fool you.

The October cup argument keep popping here and there so i decided to check if we really do a lot better in October than at the end of the year. Don't shot the messenger i post the stats you guys do what you with them ;)

End of october : 26th position
End of the year : 28th position

End of october : 1st (by a fair margin of 3 points and already 8 points more than the last team making the playoffs which was incredible at that time of the year)
End of the year : 7th

End of october : 1st (by a surprising 4 points margin and a whole 9 points more than the last team making the playoffs which was even more incredible than 2016)
End of the year : 22nd

End of october : 1st
End of the year : 2nd

End of october : 10th
End of the year : 9th

End of october : 23rd
End of the year : 28th

Outside of 2015 and 2016 it was pretty equals between October and end of the year.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
it is early, but this is a team that has also finally adapted to the new NHL in terms of speed, is the youngest team in the league, has a goalie that has seemingly regained his form and is making everything look easy again, have seen the likes of young defensemen like Mike Reilly and Noah Juulsen develop into legitimate, unlikely (at least this year) top-4 options, has seen Domi strive in the centre position while Kotkaniemi is getting better with every game -- already making our centre situation much better than last years, and most importantly, we're doing all this without Shea Weber.

it's early, sure, but the odds that we're a lottery team are very, very low, barring another huge collapse. It seems like the locker room is very tight knit and the leadership group is right. We have an excellent new face behind the bench in Ducharme who seems to be a huge driving force in our new system.

To think we'll be challenging the likes of the Rangers or Wings, two legitimately bad teams, for a lottery spot just isn't realistic at this point.

The most likely scenario that happens for us is that we miss the playoffs by one point, yet get that Carolina luck and win a lottery pick.
regardless this draft is so deep and if some1 like Suzuki is available at 15 we should be extremely excited. Hes a top 5 talent imo but seems undervalued by all scouts. I hope we draft him or Poldkozin.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
regardless this draft is so deep and if some1 like Suzuki is available at 15 we should be extremely excited. Hes a top 5 talent imo but seems undervalued by all scouts. I hope we draft him or Poldkozin.
Yeah, Ryan Suzuki is an extremely underrated player. Probably the highest hockey IQ in the draft.

Reactions: Legend123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce