Calgary

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
From Button on his latest mock draft.

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

"The Calgary Flames have the 26th pick, where Button thinks German defenceman Moritz Seider makes a lot of sense. The 6-foot-3 1/2, 183-pound, right-shot blueliner plays for Adler Mannheim of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga and will represent his country at the IIHF World Hockey Championship this month."

I wish. I can't see Seider dropping out of the top-20 though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan
Bennett
Tkachuk
Valimaki

We’ve done fine in our previous choices. I don’t see us screwing that up this time around, but stranger things have happened.

One of these guys do not fit in

Take a wild guess....it's not that wild though...lol

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Monahan
Bennett
Tkachuk
Valimaki

We’ve done fine in our previous choices. I don’t see us screwing that up this time around, but stranger things have happened.
Monahan and Tkachuk were pretty simple picks at #6, Bennett was an awful pick. Valimaki was good. When it comes to late first round we’ve been pretty bad.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Monahan and Tkachuk were pretty simple picks at #6, Bennett was an awful pick. Valimaki was good. When it comes to late first round we’ve been pretty bad.
On draft day he was the right pick. It's not like Jankowski where you can say at the time that it was dumb, Bennett was talked about as the top prospect in the draft.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
On draft day he was the right pick. It's not like Jankowski where you can say at the time that it was dumb, Bennett was talked about as the top prospect in the draft.
You have a point, but that doesn’t change the fact he’s turned out badly and we could’ve had much better. It doesn’t matter where he was projected.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Bennett wasn't developed properly. He should have spent time in the AHL to become a centre. Now he's matured, taken his lumps, and has learned to play a 200 ft. game. He plays with more grit than any other Flame too. I think he still has tremendous upside and actually should be played at centre where he would have more room to maneuver. I'm quite happy with that pick.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The next picks after Bennett were Dal Colle, Virtanen, Haydn Fleury, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie. Not exactly a lot of gems there. We already went off the board with Jankowski. It wasn't gonna happen with our highest pick in history

Regardless, this team already gets pushed around too easily. Would we really be tangibly better in tight checking games with Nylander or Ehlers? I doubt it

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gulutzan handled Bennett terribly and set him back. He's still a really useful player though even if the offense never comes around. But at 23, I'm not writing that off just yet.

Also, the last time Flames picked in the twenties, Sutter and Feaster/Weisbrod were in charge. Weird thing to be concerned about now.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Gulutzan handled Bennett terribly and set him back. He's still a really useful player though even if the offense never comes around. But at 23, I'm not writing that off just yet.

Also, the last time Flames picked in the twenties, Sutter and Feaster/Weisbrod were in charge. Weird thing to be concerned about now.

God I hate gulutzan. Wasted two years of this core and nearly set every player back. If not for his stupid system, we probably don’t blow our wad on “20 goal scorer” James Neal because of our desperation for offense. Terrible... terrible coach.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Wouldn't mind a forward at 26. I see a group that could include Suzuki, Poulin, McMichael, Tomasino, Pelletier, Brink and Afanasyev around 20-30 on the Flames list. I like Poulin; I see him as a guy that will make it but probably not 1st line. However I like the size and compete level with skill.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
From Button on his latest mock draft.

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

"The Calgary Flames have the 26th pick, where Button thinks German defenceman Moritz Seider makes a lot of sense. The 6-foot-3 1/2, 183-pound, right-shot blueliner plays for Adler Mannheim of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga and will represent his country at the IIHF World Hockey Championship this month."
I'd be happy with Seider. Kind of prefer a good forward, but it's likely he'd be the best guy available (at this point) if he's still there at 26.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
“But you still go over to watch other guys. There's a German kid playing pro over there. We don't usually spend a lot of time in Germany, but we were in Germany this year to catch up on this kid. Every year's different, where you travel to, what you focus on, and the depth of the draft.”

Oh my... the fanbase is gonna be pissed if we draft another dman.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Oh my... the fanbase is gonna be pissed if we draft another dman.

Meh. You take BPA and defensemen are some of the best trade bait.

To add to this, the Flames have only drafted 6 D in the past 4 drafts. Only 3 of them are still with the organization. While the need for D with the NHL club is pretty small, in the prospect pool it's definitely there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad