Player Discussion 2019 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Hi! I'm a Canadiens fan and I would like to ask you guys what are the biggest need you have before next draft? RD, LD, G, C, RW, LW? Montréal needs a goalscorer winger (if possiblem with size) and a top4 potential LD. Thanks in advance. And I wish you a good draft.

Montreal is a tough trading partner because we could fill one of your biggest needs (LD) but you guys can’t really offer what we’d want coming back which would be a quality top 6 C or RW

We don’t really need any RD which I’m assuming is the position Montreal would want to trade from

I’d love a guy like Gallagher but I’d imagine that is a complete non-starter for the habs, even if Hanifin was on the table

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Hi! I'm a Canadiens fan and I would like to ask you guys what are the biggest need you have before next draft? RD, LD, G, C, RW, LW? Montréal needs a goalscorer winger (if possiblem with size) and a top4 potential LD. Thanks in advance. And I wish you a good draft.

I'd do a deal around involving Brodie for picks. Especially if Hamonic is extended.

Brodie for 15th would be the ideal base for a trade
or
Brodie for 47th + 50th would be another starting point

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Really I think we have needs all over the place because we have brought so many of our prospects to the NHL lately that the guys left (Dube, Kylington if they are considered prospects then it gets really thin) are pretty few and far between.

I don't think we should take a goalie even though we desperately need a starter, but really any other spot would be a need for us in terms of getting a prospect there.

Edit: missed the point of your post as I obviously thought you meant draft needs.

For teams need in order:

1. #2 center
2. If we don't get 1 then we need a top 6 RW

For both those I would prefer a creator/passer over a shooter but beggars can't be choosers

3. Starting goalie

I think that is it unless of course we open a hole by trading some to fill one of those needs. Maybe a 7th d but I am fine with Prout/Kylington filling that role.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'd do a deal around involving Brodie for picks. Especially if Hamonic is extended.

Brodie for 15th would be the ideal base for a trade
or
Brodie for 47th + 50th would be another starting point

I think I pass on both of those, especially the second one. We need players not picks, so unless we had a 2nd deal lined up with #15 then I would pass. Unless of course the most hated player on HF, Dylan Cozens drops to 15 then I sprint to the Philly table to make that deal.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I've warmed up to the idea of drafting Leason. Overager but has some good talent and isn't as slow as I thought he was. Flames could use a player like him in their prospect pool. We really don't have many high floor wingers right now and he'd be a little further developed physically than a lot of the other forwards in our range.

Plus he's a Calgary kid(dodges rotten fruit).

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I think I pass on both of those, especially the second one. We need players not picks, so unless we had a 2nd deal lined up with #15 then I would pass. Unless of course the most hated player on HF, Dylan Cozens drops to 15 then I sprint to the Philly table to make that deal.

I agree that we need players but we still need picks. Trading Brodie for picks gives us much needed cap space to address the immediate team needs via free agency or trade, it also gives us more ammunition when approaching other teams as possible trading partners.

Finally, that 15th pick could be sent to a team to acquire a player we want via trade and allow us to still make a much needed selection in the 1st round at 26.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I've warmed up to the idea of drafting Leason. Overager but has some good talent and isn't as slow as I thought he was. Flames could use a player like him in their prospect pool. We really don't have many high floor wingers right now and he'd be a little further developed physically than a lot of the other forwards in our range.

Plus he's a Calgary kid(dodges rotten fruit).

He is certainly a very intriguing guy at that spot.

I am can't make up my mind whether I would like them to get him or not but the idea of him filling in at the 2nd line is intriguing, although maybe too much to expect even for an overage guy like him. It is easy to envision him as a Benn like guy who improved his skating while in juniors to really take a big jump forward. I doubt he wins an MVP but could he be a late bloomer that just needed that added skating to become a productive player.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Players who play for years in the CHL and then suddenly breakout at 20 have a very low success rate, Leason to me is not a good pick until near pick 60.

Mangiapane was a full year younger than Leason when he matched his d+2 numbers, and had a better rookie season than Leasons D+1 and he was a 6th round pick.

Overagers can be valuable but picking a guy who didn't even produce at a first line level until his final year is a recipe for disaster. If he were 3 inches shorter he'd be a 4th round pick or later. Not that Leason can't turn out, I just think you're more likely to get a bust or a replacement player than a Benn or Stone.

Side note is Brayden Tracey just Brayden Point the sequel?

Same first name, both Calgary boys, same junior team, similar points per game (1.26 vs 1.23), ranked lower than their numbers suggest they should be.

Tracey is a LW and is on a much better Moose Jaw team than Point's but he's also bigger at 6'0 170.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
This is from Bob Mckenzie's rankings, and interesting for us:

"One final note on the rankings: Prospects from Nos. 25 through 50 are, more or less interchangeable. Which is to say every player ranked in the top 50 got at least one vote as a first-rounder."

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
This is from Bob Mckenzie's rankings, and interesting for us:

"One final note on the rankings: Prospects from Nos. 25 through 50 are, more or less interchangeable. Which is to say every player ranked in the top 50 got at least one vote as a first-rounder."

I’d be alright with trading down depending on who is available at 26. Like if some team has someone they really want there I’d grab like 30 + 60 or whatever 2nd round pick they have

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I want us to draft a goalie in the 2nd round. Who would be realistic options if we found a way to split our first into two seconds?

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I want us to draft a goalie in the 2nd round. Who would be realistic options if we found a way to split our first into two seconds?

Pyotr Kochetkov and, maybe, Mads Soogard.

Evaluating goalies isn't my strong suit, but based on the accumulation of rankings I've seen, any other G would be a reach in the 2nd.

I really like Hugo Alnefelt too but his SuperElit numbers weren't that great.

Reactions: Fig

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He may very well be able to find David Rittich’s tandem-mate this weekend, but don’t expect it to come in the form of top-ranked goalie prospect Spencer Knight from the U.S. national development team.

Treliving admits he too is hesitant to select a goalie in the first round of the draft (only two netminders have been so selected the past six years). He doesn’t believe the Boston College–bound goalie will be around by the 26th spot anyways.

Treliving will continue to ponder the merits of bringing Smith back, perhaps opting to trade for someone like Leafs backup Garret Sparks or bid for another UFA like Curtis McElhinney July 1.

Draft rankings and mock drafts suggest the Flames will have plenty of undersized talents to choose from with their 26th shout, which isn’t exactly what this club is begging for now.

That said, Treliving is definitely of the school of thought that you draft the best player available, as opposed to trying to address specific organizational needs.

“You always take the best player – if you start trying to fill potential needs it’s a fool’s game because by the time these players are going to be ready your needs could change,” said Treliving.

Successful Flames draft weekend won’t be measured by 26th overall pick

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
26.Calgary: Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton-WHL
The name I’ve heard with Calgary the most is the big rearguard from the Oil Kings. There’s a part of me that wonders if it’s legit, given how many young defensemen are already in the Flames’ system, but at this point of the draft, there are never firm rumors. I’ve also heard Brayden Tracey mentioned here.

From Pronman

Robertson is fine but I'd prefer they take a risk on Tracey.

Reactions: crackdown44

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I know BPA, but I'd really rather a forward.

I think it’s easier to find hidden defencemen later in the draft than it is to find skilled forwards.

The nuances it takes d-men to learn the NHL requires more time and they are harder to predict.

I think offensive abilities tend to show at a younger age. That’s why I like picking skilled forwards in the first round.

If there is a Juuso like D prospect on the board, sure. But that’s doubtful.

Brink, Tomasino, McMicheal, I think there are lots of options around our pick.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Another Calgary Brayden playing for Moosejaw...The Flames can't miss this one.
Said the exact same thing Pronman says were interested in him too.

I've found some models aimed at projecting this draft classes careers based on their junior play.

IMG_20190620_123126.png
IMG_20190612_121111.jpg
IMG_20190612_121107.jpg

There's lots of prospects I like but at the moment I think Tracey is my guy.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Eliteprospects and Hockeyprospect.com both have Ryan Suzuki ranked at #26. Others rank him between 14 and 18. A 6'0", 181 lb. left shot centre. I'm not sure if we need another centre, but if Tre's philosophy is take the best player available this could be our guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad