Player Discussion 2019 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Q&A With Tod Button

There's a German kid playing pro over there. We don't usually spend a lot of time in Germany, but we were in Germany this year to catch up on this kid. Every year's different, where you travel to, what you focus on, and the depth of the draft.

Almost certainly talking about Moritz Seider here, who is projected around our 1st round pick.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I really like what I've seen from Connor McMichael with the London Knights. Not the strongest performance in the playoffs, but from the 4-5 games I've seen him play he looks like a gamer with a good motor. I also have more faith in players developed by the London Knights.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I really like what I've seen from Connor McMichael with the London Knights. Not the strongest performance in the playoffs, but from the 4-5 games I've seen him play he looks like a gamer with a good motor. I also have more faith in players developed by the London Knights.
That feels like more of a safe pick to me, I just think there’s players with more upside that we could pick.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm also wondering if we are aiming to acquire additional 1st round picks this draft (ie: Trade Brodie). Maybe we target more than one of these players? From what some of you are saying, it seems like there will still be some great options to target in the late 1st and 2nd round.

I really liked the idea of drafting Knight (goalie). But TBH, I really don't know what Treliving will do. All I can say is that he has steadily improved our roster season after season. He's also really damn good at trading for players that "have no value" but still ending up with more value in the end. (ie: Sieloff to Chiasson, Kanzig to Lack to Prout) etc.

I'd be curious to see if he gives Button a ton of late/mid picks to play with.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I follow Byron Bader on Twitter, a flames fan whose, focus is in nhle and the likelihood of players both making it to the NHL and becoming stars in the process.

He posted his top 10 a while ago but it was taken down, I remember these 6 players being on it with the top 4 being in the correct order.

Hughes
Harley
Kaako
Byram
Kaliyev
Brink
Some player projected in the 80s I can't remember his name.

I also remember him being very down on Leason and Podkolzin.

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Mock scenario - Spencer Knight, Philip Broberg and Arthur Kaliyev all drop and are still on the board at #26. Who should the Flames pick?

(save the - "not going to happen" comments)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Broberg

Because I think he has the most talent of those 3, but if they were closer I would lean towards the forward because I like the young defensemen we currently have.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Mock scenario - Spencer Knight, Philip Broberg and Arthur Kaliyev all drop and are still on the board at #26. Who should the Flames pick?

(save the - "not going to happen" comments)

BPA. But if all equal, I think the goalie is rarer and a bigger future need.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Very serious injury. In basketball or Football this would drop him like a rock. It'll be interesting to see how far he falls, if he falls to our pick I think I'd take the chance he rehabs it and take him.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

Very serious injury. In basketball or Football this would drop him like a rock. It'll be interesting to see how far he falls, if he falls to our pick I think I'd take the chance he rehabs it and take him.

That's rough, Krebs was one of my favorite prospects in the draft, I had him at #4 on my list.

I know he's really young and has a lot of time to recover, but an Achilles injury is never good.

That said, if he fell all the way to us, I would certainly jump at it. I think he can be a #1 C, so even a "diminished" version of that at #26 is a great pick.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If he fell to 26 it should be a no brainer to pick him but I cant see him falling that far, even with the injury by the late teens it will still be worth the risk to take him as any guy at that area would have risks as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How do you guys feel about Pavel Dorofeyev? Good upside and he’s ranked around our 1st rounder I believe

At 26 you're taking high ability projects in a lot of ways.
Pavel is essentially just that. I'm still uncertain if they actually make this pick, but if they do, he'd be a nice little add.

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
If Krebs falls to us you pick him 100% of the time. Went to school and played some hockey with him, he’s a gamer and he’s smart. The kind of player we could use. But more than likely he won’t fall that far unfortunately.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How do you guys feel about Pavel Dorofeyev? Good upside and he’s ranked around our 1st rounder I believe

I would pass on Russians at any point in the draft. I think a maybe guy like him seems like the worst kind of prospect because they aren't good enough to get big money or a guaranteed spot in the NHL but might be good enough to get those things in the KHL.

I would pass on Russians in the draft, and in terms of signings as well, every time.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Most of us would probably like to see a forward picked but man there will be a ton of really good dmen in that 2nd tier behind Byram. One guy that intrigues me is Matthew Robertson. The lack of hype on him kind of reminds me of Valimaki - first round rated all year but without much ballyhoo.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I would pass on Russians at any point in the draft. I think a maybe guy like him seems like the worst kind of prospect because they aren't good enough to get big money or a guaranteed spot in the NHL but might be good enough to get those things in the KHL.

I would pass on Russians in the draft, and in terms of signings as well, every time.
If he's not good enough to get a guaranteed spot in the NHL it doesn't matter where he's from.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If he's not good enough to get a guaranteed spot in the NHL it doesn't matter where he's from.

Well with guys from other countries we haven't seen nearly as many stay home and play in their home leagues, with Russian we have seen that happen quite a bit. I am just not sure it is worth taking the risk unless you are talking about a high end guy.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Well with guys from other countries we haven't seen nearly as many stay home and play in their home leagues, with Russian we have seen that happen quite a bit. I am just not sure it is worth taking the risk unless you are talking about a high end guy.
It's the NHL draft. Outside of the top 2 you won't know what you're getting.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Hi! I'm a Canadiens fan and I would like to ask you guys what are the biggest need you have before next draft? RD, LD, G, C, RW, LW? Montréal needs a goalscorer winger (if possiblem with size) and a top4 potential LD. Thanks in advance. And I wish you a good draft.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hi! I'm a Canadiens fan and I would like to ask you guys what are the biggest need you have before next draft? RD, LD, G, C, RW, LW? Montréal needs a goalscorer winger (if possiblem with size) and a top4 potential LD. Thanks in advance. And I wish you a good draft.
C, RW, G

Reactions: Frank JT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad