2019 Draft Thread

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And of course our f***ing division wins 2 of the 3 lottery spots. New Jersey and New York win, and Chicago is the other.

Don’t tell me this lottery isn’t f***ing rigged.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yet again the top 2 prospects will go to our division. New Jersey gets the top pick, NYR to pick 2.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
And of course our ****ing division wins 2 of the 3 lottery spots. New Jersey and New York win, and Chicago is the other.

Don’t tell me this lottery isn’t ****ing rigged.
The two metro areas needing a boost and got one.....but to think it’s rigged is an insult to all fine sports organizations operating in good faith such as the IOC, FIFA and the NCAA. :sarcasm:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If the lottery was rigged the NHL would not have put McDavid in Edmonton.

It's not always about rigging for the big markets. The NBA rigged the lottery twice for the Cavs, once to get LeBron and the other to attract him back. NHL can rig it for anyone, and until they broadcast the drawing live (or release the video) i will always believe it.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
What is the rigging for? What are they trying to do?

Improve the teams that are the worst off or with big draws? Colorado was sitting pretty with a good young team and the best odds to get one of the two best prospects, yet ends up 4th. Again, until the drawing is shown I will always believe lotteries to be rigged.

EDIT: With the help of Reddit, this video of the drawing actually exists. So, as promised, I will believe in this years process. If you are curious enough to watch it like I was, here it is.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Improve the teams that are the worst off or with big draws? Colorado was sitting pretty with a good young team and the best odds to get one of the two best prospects, yet ends up 4th. Again, until the drawing is shown I will always believe lotteries to be rigged.

Colorado had a 50% chance of picking 4th, and only a 35% chance of picking top 2. Colorado picking 4th is not an example of something that is even seemingly rigged, because this is what we should have expected given the rules.

So helping teams that are worse off eh? If that's what I was trying to do by picking lottery winners, I wouldn't have picked these teams. I think the Red Wings, for one, have a worse outlook than the Rangers and Blackhawks.

Feel free to believe it's rigged, it's not transparent, so the league kind of deserves that. But I don't see a theory here of what they're trying to do.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Side note - Cale Makar is going to blow everyone away next year anyways, if I was an Avs fan I would have been more focused on that than the draft lottery. Hughes might be better in a couple years but next year Makar is going to be the better player and dominate right away.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Colorado had a 50% chance of picking 4th, and only a 35% chance of picking top 2. Colorado picking 4th is not an example of something that is even seemingly rigged, because this is what we should have expected given the rules.

So helping teams that are worse off eh? If that's what I was trying to do by picking lottery winners, I wouldn't have picked these teams. I think the Red Wings, for one, have a worse outlook than the Rangers and Blackhawks.

Feel free to believe it's rigged, it's not transparent, so the league kind of deserves that. But I don't see a theory here of what they're trying to do.

Cool. I will, until that day arrives. Detroit will probably benefit from it next year or soon, you have to wait your turn.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

I’m not saying I’m buying into rigging, but it has been pretty lucrative for NHL in salary cap/shared revenue era to have Hawks and Rangers as SC contenders. They can’t just go with pens, caps and bruins for outdoor games. Hawks can still squeeze Kane/Toews for another run with some help. Rangers get some help and maybe another reason for panarin to sign there and they jump back up the Metro standings. NJ as a red herring.

I don’t like Avs anyway from whole Foote saga and their swiping a Stanley cup team from Quebec. Sakic scoring 1st period hat tricks against CBJ are still a bad memory. They can suffer another decade.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not saying I’m buying into rigging, but it has been pretty lucrative for NHL in salary cap/shared revenue era to have Hawks and Rangers as SC contenders. They can’t just go with pens, caps and bruins for outdoor games. Hawks can still squeeze Kane/Toews for another run with some help. Rangers get some help and maybe another reason for panarin to sign there and they jump back up the Metro standings. NJ as a red herring.

This is the first time the Rangers have ever drafted in the top 3. That should put that theory to bed. Also, giving two out of the last three first overalls to New Jersey, the black hole of fan interest, is one hell of a red herring.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Chicago was in line to get Malkin before Washington won the lottery and bumped them down...but the Pens magically get Crysob as their franchise is in dire straits...so I can see arguments for both sides.

Reactions: Bobcat110

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Panarin & 3rd overall...at least it won't be Panarin & 1st unless he (his GF) decides Newark is close enough to NYC for nightlife and modeling, :sarcasm:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If it is rigged, Taylor Hall has some great dirt on the person rigging it.

I do believe the NBA Patrick Ewing cold envelope conspiracy theory.

Nowadays the risk of being caught and the coverage it would generate would make it a stupid choice for a league to do. There would be congressional hearings. Politicians from areas where teams were screwed would have an issue that would unite the voters in their districts and they would not let it go. Commissioners would lose their jobs and face lawsuits from season ticket holders.

Reactions: Toe Pick

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I can't help it because I've seen them live but Abramov 2.0 or his teammate Serdyuk would be my pick

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am not suggesting the draft is rigged but...there is no reason why the actually lottery isn't shown live. If you have nothing to hide, then why hide it?

Personally I don't think its been rigged...but...I am not naive to think they wouldn't rig one if they wanted to. Therefore, if they always showed it live, they could never randomly one year hide it behind the curtain if they wanted to.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I am not suggesting the draft is rigged but...there is no reason why the actually lottery isn't shown live. If you have nothing to hide, then why hide it?
the worst is the shit ceremony and all the gm doing nothing for 30 min while their already did the lottery before. and it was leaked this year it's horrible

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
the worst is the **** ceremony and all the gm doing nothing for 30 min while their already did the lottery before. and it was leaked this year it's horrible
I expanded my thought in my post above after you quoted it...sorry.

I don't watch the draft or lottery. I think the league does a piss poor job of creating any excitement with either event. I know it will never be the NFL, it doesn't have the star power but I bet they could find ways to make it more compelling.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I expanded my thought in my post above after you quoted it...sorry.

I don't watch the draft or lottery. I think the league does a piss poor job of creating any excitement with either event. I know it will never be the NFL, it doesn't have the star power but I bet they could find ways to make it more compelling.
I don't think it's rigged it's just bad. they could also just release the winner without any horrible pre-show

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
What kind of moves does everyone see going down to get us some picks? If Wennberg is moved, and some salary retained, I think we could get a 2nd and lower pick like 6th...if Dutch leaves I don't think he's moved. I think Milano has to pass through waivers starting next season, I think we could get a 3rd from someone willing to take a flyer on the kid, still think he has 20 goal potential. Also think a depth dman gets moved with the additions of Peeke and Gavrikov, maybe someone like Carlsson gets moved for a second.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I also think a couple pieces are moved for draft picks if Jarmo can find trading partners. I am confident Vlad can lockdown one of the six defensive spots (after everything we’ve been fed about him for the past two plus seasons). Peeke still has plenty to prove before he locks up a spot.

Look at Reilly. We thought he was NHL plug and play ready for a roster spot straight out of MN and here we are four years later and he finally nailed down an NHL spot playing 18 minutes per game (2nd pairing?) this season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What kind of moves does everyone see going down to get us some picks? If Wennberg is moved, and some salary retained, I think we could get a 2nd and lower pick like 6th...if Dutch leaves I don't think he's moved. I think Milano has to pass through waivers starting next season, I think we could get a 3rd from someone willing to take a flyer on the kid, still think he has 20 goal potential. Also think a depth dman gets moved with the additions of Peeke and Gavrikov, maybe someone like Carlsson gets moved for a second.

I think you may be right at the names who might be candidates to be moved for picks, but I fear your projected returns are a bit optimistic.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If we want picks, like we are in semi-rebuild mode because the UFAs go, the guy you trade in the offseason is Savard. He’ll never have higher value. D is our strength. Savard will bring back a nice return. Better than anyone else we could afford to lose. And it clears up the Seattle problem — we will have to trade him eventually or Seattle would grab him. I wonder what the Candiens would give up for Savard. I’d ask for a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad