Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Good news- he had a hat trick in an exhibition the other day
Bad news- he's playing on the wing

I don’t put a whole lot of stock into centers playing wing in these tournaments. For Canada anyway. Though I understand why you’d want a top guy like Newhook playing center over his peers if he’s supposed to be a center.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm guessing the guys playing center over him are guys in the 3-10 range on the draft boards. Somebody in the 10-15 range moving over probably isn't a huge deal.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm guessing the guys playing center over him are guys in the 3-10 range on the draft boards. Somebody in the 10-15 range moving over probably isn't a huge deal.

You could even make the argument that the coach putting him on the wing on the first line is better than sticking him as the third or fourth line center.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Newhook is playing with Cozens. Krebs is centering the 2nd line.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem, but it is certainly worth noting. Would anyone consider Newhook at 12 if they knew he was going to be a wing in the NHL?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I'm not saying it's a huge problem, but it is certainly worth noting. Would anyone consider Newhook at 12 if they knew he was going to be a wing in the NHL?

If he was going to be a wing at the NHL I’d take Kaliyev instead. Or Krebs/Cozens/Dach/Zegras/Turcotte if one of them were still there.

As for the tournament, I think putting him with Cozens shows that the coach would rather have his best players playing top 6 together than have a deep group of centers.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Anyone have any good sites to stream the tournament?
Looks like NHL network has all of the USA and Canada games on their schedule. Most seem to be replays, but probably doesn't matter if the idea is to get a look at the players. I would bet that TSN probably has the Canada games

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

I’m liking Caufield

Kase

May 1, 2016
Do any of our Finnish brothers have any insight on some good players that might be available after round 1? Obviously, KK, and probably Heinola will be taken in the first.

Step below Heinola there is somewhat similar dman Mikko Kokkonen, who will probably go late first or earlyish second round. Also Lassi Thomson, a puck moving dman with a pro level shot, probably goes in the second round.

A lot of people seem to like Patrik Puistola, who is a skilled offensive winger. The games I saw, he didn't really stand out, but you can't deny his production which is really good, and he has some intriguing offensive tools. He will also go around the second round.

In the mid rounds there are couple of small skilled wingers who I like. Especially Leevi Aaltonen and Tuukka Tieksola interest me personally. Aaltonen is fantastic skater, with great speed and acceleration. He's good playmaker and has fast release on his wrister with good power. What really stood out from him is how defensively responsible and smart he plays. Tieksola doesn't have the speed and acceleration of Aaltonen, but imo is more shiftier with better edges. He is very good puck handler and playmaker, which are definitely his biggest strengths, but his scoring ability seems very average. I think Aaltonen's game might translate better to the nhl, which is the part that I worry about Tieksola. He likes to play east-west type of game, where he holds on to the puck and tries to dangle his opposition, but with his light frame and good, but not great skating, his playstyle might not transfer that well to the nhl.

Defensemen wise there are also couple of interesting names in the middle rounds. Antti Tuomisto, big puckmover with good vision, but questionable defensive IQ and little bit iffy skating. Kalle Loponen, booming shot, good speed and uses it to create odd man rushes, but also somewhat questionable IQ imo. Small offensive dman Kim Nousiainen who is great skater and wants to create offence as he is always looking for open lanes and space with and without the puck. I think he is the smartest one of the three, but sometimes gets caught by being too aggressive.

My own dark horse at the moment is defenceman Santeri Hatakka, who probably goes in the last three rounds. Great defender, with very good skating, but lacks in offensive parts of the game. Could develop into Seeler, Scandella type defenceman, or maybe even Brodin.

Edit. If you are watching the ongoing u18 WC, Antti Saarela and Aku Räty are also players to follow.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Step below Heinola there is somewhat similar dman Mikko Kokkonen, who will probably go late first or earlyish second round. Also Lassi Thompson, a puck moving dman with a pro level shot, probably goes in the second round.

A lot of people seem to like Patrik Puistola, who is a skilled offensive winger. The games I saw, he didn't really stand out, but you can't deny his production which is really good, and he has some intriguing offensive tools. He will also go around the second round.

In the mid rounds there are couple of small skilled wingers who I like. Especially Leevi Aaltonen and Tuukka Tieksola interest me personally. Aaltonen is fantastic skater, with great speed and acceleration. He's good playmaker and has fast release on his wrister with good power. What really stood out from him is how defensively responsible and smart he plays. Tieksola doesn't have the speed and acceleration of Aaltonen, but imo is more shiftier with better edges. He is very good puck handler and playmaker, which are definitely his biggest strengths, but his scoring ability seems very average. I think Aaltonen's game might translate better to the nhl, which is the part that I worry about Tieksola. He likes to play east-west type of game, where he holds on to the puck and tries to dangle his opposition, but with his light frame and good, but not great skating, his playstyle might not transfer that well to the nhl.

Defensemen wise there are also couple of interesting names in the middle rounds. Antti Tuomisto, big puckmover with good vision, but questionable defensive IQ and little bit iffy skating. Kalle Loponen, booming shot, good speed and uses it to create odd man rushes, but also somewhat questionable IQ imo. Small offensive dman Kim Nousiainen who is great skater and wants to create offence as he is always looking for open lanes and space with and without the puck. I think he is the smartest one of the three, but sometimes gets caught by being too aggressive.

My own dark horse at the moment is defenceman Santeri Hatakka, who probably goes in the last three rounds. Great defender, with very good skating, but lacks in offensive parts of the game. Could develop into Seeler, Scandella type defenceman, or maybe even Brodin.
Great info, man. Kokkonen and Aaltonen sound interesting. If they are still around, I would like for the Wild to pick up Fagemo or Leason with the 2nd rounder, though. There are going to be a lot of Dmen going from 10-20 in the 1st round, I think. A ton of Euros , plus York and Harley, at a minimum. So you think that Kokkonen is a better prospect than Thompson?

Brinkman is dropping like a stone in the rankings. Central scouting has him in the 100's for NA players alone. Seems weird to me. Seems that he is being penalized because of playing on a poor team and not playing games the past month or so, but I get that his stats are less than eye opening, partially due to him getting no PP TOI. Still find it bizarre to have HS'ers rated far more highly than him, when he is playing a regular shift two tiers higher in the NCAA. MNHS>USHL>NCAA. I know some of those players, and he has, and would, destroy most of them in a game. Long story short is that while a LHD isn't a need right now, Brinkman would be a great pick if he falls down as low as the 4th or 5th round.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i would pick a goalie in the 4th if i thought i needed one. the year we picked KK i would have also picked another goalie in the 3rd. need is important to me. if i were the mn twins gm i would have drafted ALL pitchers last year. if i were the mn vikes gm i'd draft an entire O line since that's the biggest weakness.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Great info, man. Kokkonen and Aaltonen sound interesting. If they are still around, I would like for the Wild to pick up Fagemo or Leason with the 2nd rounder, though. There are going to be a lot of Dmen going from 10-20 in the 1st round, I think. A ton of Euros , plus York and Harley, at a minimum. So you think that Kokkonen is a better prospect than Thompson?

Brinkman is dropping like a stone in the rankings. Central scouting has him in the 100's for NA players alone. Seems weird to me. Seems that he is being penalized because of playing on a poor team and not playing games the past month or so, but I get that his stats are less than eye opening, partially due to him getting no PP TOI. Still find it bizarre to have HS'ers rated far more highly than him, when he is playing a regular shift two tiers higher in the NCAA. MNHS>USHL>NCAA. I know some of those players, and he has, and would, destroy most of them in a game. Long story short is that while a LHD isn't a need right now, Brinkman would be a great pick if he falls down as low as the 4th or 5th round.

Not necessarily. I think both are in the late first/mid 2nd tier.

I just have seen Kokkonen more, so I'm more comfortable ranking him. I haven't seen Thomson play more than two games this season as he plays plays in the WHL, and he couldn't play in any of the u18 tournaments because he is 00 born.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
i would pick a goalie in the 4th if i thought i needed one. the year we picked KK i would have also picked another goalie in the 3rd. need is important to me. if i were the mn twins gm i would have drafted ALL pitchers last year. if i were the mn vikes gm i'd draft an entire O line since that's the biggest weakness.
What would you do for the wild this year?

Reactions: 2Pair

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i heart our D core , im keeping zucker. i don't like the retreads we added fehr ; brown etc i'd be giving a 4th line spot or 2 to iowa players. i will say i hated pateryn at 1st but towards the end of the season i thought he was playing well. bottom line i wouldn't make any more major changes unless we could pick up a quality ufa at a reasonable price which is unlikely. if parise wants a trade to a contender be my guest.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i heart our D core , im keeping zucker. i don't like the retreads we added fehr ; brown etc i'd be giving a 4th line spot or 2 to iowa players. i will say i hated pateryn at 1st but towards the end of the season i thought he was playing well. bottom line i wouldn't make any more major changes unless we could pick up a quality ufa at a reasonable price which is unlikely. if parise wants a trade to a contender be my guest.

What do you consider a quality UFA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad