2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Also, Zegras was apparently injured in an exhibition game on Friday. Went into the boards hard and came up holding his arm. Per Pronman, he's out right now but could be back to play next week.

Will be interesting to see if his draft stock falls if he misses any significant amount of time before the draft.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Here’s some nice skill from Raphael Lavoie, someone I could see Fenton snagging. The bill on him is he’s a goal scorer. I am not a huge fan of his game personally, though. I don’t see him as much of a line driver.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Here’s some nice skill from Raphael Lavoie, someone I could see Fenton snagging. The bill on him is he’s a goal scorer. I am not a huge fan of his game personally, though. I don’t see him as much of a line driver.

is he a C is the question, i read that he is kind of like coyle in the regard where he takes faceoffs on his strong side and swaps with a linemate for the other side. his game is not aweful though and id enjoy him alongside greenway as i think greenway can be that line driver.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You good with another LHS wing, and a LHS wing with mediocre skating?

We have great skaters on our back end. We need more up front.
At #12 we're getting someone that's probably 2 years away from the NHL, and maybe 3 from being a factor here, so the team's immediate positional needs don't concern me much. I can see the organizational need for centers, but more than that we need guys in the pipeline that can score and generate offense. Kaliyev seems like one of the more capable players in that respect in this draft.

Not saying I wouldn't love to grab a center this year, but as nightmares go this is a pretty good one.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
kind of a good list to be on don't ya think?
upload_2019-4-9_23-3-39-png.png

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Hell, it doesn't look like he needs a line. Impressive skating for a big guy.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Central Scouting has Krebs at #10, with Kaliyev at # 7, and Newhook 13 or so for the NA players. If that holds and we get a shot at Krebs I'll be thrilled. Podkolzin and KK will definitely be picked before 12, unless something untimely happens.

I'd love to roll the dice on Kaliyev, but we NEED someone like Krebs or Newhook who plays C. Would allow us to keep Kunin back on RW, where hopefully he can start scoring more.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Central Scouting has Krebs at #10, with Kaliyev at # 7, and Newhook 13 or so for the NA players. If that holds and we get a shot at Krebs I'll be thrilled. Podkolzin and KK will definitely be picked before 12, unless something untimely happens.

I'd love to roll the dice on Kaliyev, but we NEED someone like Krebs or Newhook who plays C. Would allow us to keep Kunin back on RW, where hopefully he can start scoring more.

Some interesting tidbits:
Like 57special said, Kaliyev being regarded highly.
Lassi Thompson, whom I want us to select in round 2, is moving up to top 15 NA skaters, making him a likely 1st.
Ryan Suzuki sliding. Could end up in the 2nd round, not unsimilar to the way Ryan Mcloed Fell from late first to mid second on draft day.
Nils Highlander recoils be a 2dn round target to really strengthen our Left shot depth.

Central scouting is a good reference due to actual NHL scouts contibuting to the rankings.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Drafting for positional need ahead of talent is how you end up with Eriksson Ek intead of Brock Boeser. Not to mention the fact that half of the centers that get drafted will end up being wings in the NHL anyway.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
what would you call fenton's FJ1 pick last year bpa or positional need?

Is neither an option?

I also question whether Eriksson Ek was the BPA, or whether GMs have a player archetype that they fall back on. Fletcher seemed to go crazy over “leadership” and “character” even if it seemed to mean sacrificing some skill.

We’ll see what Fenton’s thing is, but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that GMs pass on guys they think could be better if they don’t fit the personality of the team they’re trying to build. Not to say it’s *necesarily* a bad thing, but it would mean that picks aren’t always just straight up BPA either if true.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
what would you call fenton's FJ1 pick last year bpa or positional need?
I’d say BPA, but positional need also plays a role in figuring BPA. FJ1 likely plays a position that made him more enticing to the Wild than other players that were available and that helped make him BPA to the Wild at that pick.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
FJo is what we call the Cocky BPA pick. You know so much better than the consensus, that you reach big time for a player that you could’ve gotten later, just to show that you know what up when he turns out.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
FJo is what we call the Cocky BPA pick. You know so much better than the consensus, that you reach big time for a player that you could’ve gotten later, just to show that you know what up when he turns out.
Mark Jannokowsi. It would be rad to somehow grab Bobby Brink and a guy like Krebs or Boldy.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Do any of our Finnish brothers have any insight on some good players that might be available after round 1? Obviously, KK, and probably Heinola will be taken in the first.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
As a Norwegian i would love for us to pick Emil Lilleberg in one of the later rounds. Ranked 127th among EU skaters.

A very mobile two-way defenceman with decent hands and a good frame.
Played 37 games for Sparta Sarpsborg in the Norwegian Elite League (Similar to Swedish Allsvenskan, where FJ1 plays) ended up with a 2 points and +2, playing 15 minutes a game for a team that ended up 4th last in the league.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At #12 we're getting someone that's probably 2 years away from the NHL, and maybe 3 from being a factor here, so the team's immediate positional needs don't concern me much. I can see the organizational need for centers, but more than that we need guys in the pipeline that can score and generate offense. Kaliyev seems like one of the more capable players in that respect in this draft.

Not saying I wouldn't love to grab a center this year, but as nightmares go this is a pretty good one.
Most likely a couple years away, true, but sometimes players surprise.

Pastrnak was drafted in the 20's and turned ot to be NHL ready, which nobody expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad