2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Newhook does look impressive. Speed, puck handling, and passing. He doesn't look that strong , but he's packing 190 lbs on to that frame somehow, and still is able to move extremely well. If we ended up with him I'd be happy. Krebs, even happier.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Newhook does look impressive. Speed, puck handling, and passing. He doesn't look that strong , but he's packing 190 lbs on to that frame somehow, and still is able to move extremely well. If we ended up with him I'd be happy. Krebs, even happier.

I think Newhook has the raw potential to be as good as Turcotte or Cozens, I just think he’s a riskier bet to make it there.

He’s very comfortable doing it all at the BCHL level, if he can translate it to the NHL he’ll be a very good center.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Newhook has the raw potential to be as good as Turcotte or Cozens, I just think he’s a riskier bet to make it there.

He’s very comfortable doing it all at the BCHL level, if he can translate it to the NHL he’ll be a very good center.
We'd have to be patient and give him about two years in the NCAA, then at least 1/2 year in Iowa. I think Krebs might ready sooner.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We'd have to be patient and give him about two years in the NCAA, then at least 1/2 year in Iowa. I think Krebs might ready sooner.

I don’t think “being ready sooner” is a valid reason to take one guy over the other. If we take Krebs over Newhook it should be because we believe he’ll be the better player.

If we believe Newhook will be better, I’m not going to let .5-1.5 years of waiting influence my decision.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh, I also think Krebs is better. Or put another way, I believe he has a better chance of transferring his game to higher levels.

Jost's development path from the BCHL > NCAA> NHL should be a cautionary tale.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oh, I also think Krebs is better. Or put another way, I believe he has a better chance of transferring his game to higher levels.

Jost's development path from the BCHL > NCAA> NHL should be a cautionary tale.

Should we look at all the guys who were 40th in scoring in the WHL and barely finished over a point per game and then didn’t do anything in the NHL as a cautionary tale for taking Krebs then?

And even still Jost only just turned 21, and if you watch him he actually looks pretty decent most of the time.

I’m not even trying to say that Newhook is better than Krebs, but it’s not exactly fair to use the BCHL against him. I mean, he absolutely dominated the entire league, and is doing so again in the playoffs. Krebs was as I said, 40th in the WHL.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Should we look at all the guys who were 40th in scoring in the WHL and barely finished over a point per game and then didn’t do anything in the NHL as a cautionary tale for taking Krebs then?

And even still Jost only just turned 21, and if you watch him he actually looks pretty decent most of the time.

I’m not even trying to say that Newhook is better than Krebs, but it’s not exactly fair to use the BCHL against him. I mean, he absolutely dominated the entire league, and is doing so again in the playoffs. Krebs was as I said, 40th in the WHL.
You sure you wanna play this game?
Some BCHL stats for you;

Joey Bennik 30g 66a 96 pts.

Now playing in Norway

Mario Lucia 42g 51a 93 pts.

Mediocre in NCAA, now in Norway, and pretty underwhelming according to a poster here.

Mike Reilly

24g 59a 83pts.

BCHL is a high scoring league that is a full tier below the WHL in terms of talent. It is not to be confused with the USHL, which is also a lesser league, but one where it is harder to score. This doesn't mean that Newhook won't be good, but throwing around his point totals when he is playing in the equivalent of the wading pool doesn't help your cause. The better players move on to college, or the WHL. Newhook might be better than Krebs, but all we know for sure is that he is more unproven.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Some BCHL stats for you;

Now playing in Norway

Mediocre in NCAA, now in Norway, and pretty underwhelming according to a poster here.

Mike Reilly

24g 59a 83pts.

BCHL is a high scoring league that is a full tier below the WHL in terms of talent. It is not to be confused with the USHL, which is also a lesser league, but one where it is harder to score. This doesn't mean that Newhook won't be good, but throwing around his point totals when he is playing in the equivalent of the wading pool doesn't help your cause. The better players move on to college, or the WHL. Newhook might be better than Krebs, but all we know for sure is that he is more unproven.

Just an FYI, but none of those players played in the BCHL in their draft year. Those are all from the year after. So they'd be 18/19/20 years old vs. Newhook at 17/18.

Plus Lucia and Reilly were on a loaded team that lost maybe 5 games all year. They're totals were definitely inflated.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Some BCHL stats for you;

Now playing in Norway

Mike Reilly

24g 59a 83pts.

This a giant post of failure. Nice work

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not saying it's not a risk taking somebody out of a lesser league, but this is where actual scouting comes into place, both in his league and in international competition. I mean, Cale Makar went 4th overall out of a league that's probably a lesser one than the BCHL, and by all accounts, it's probably going to work out for Colorado. This is the disadvantage of us trying to decipher box scores while not actually watching the players play (other than maybe some highlight videos); it's hard to come to a definitive conclusion when you're missing over half of the equation.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Some BCHL stats for you;

Now playing in Norway

Mike Reilly

24g 59a 83pts.

He was brought in to be a challenger for the top scoring title in the league, but ended up being the worst foreign player on the team. Didn't even manage to put up a point per game. Huge disappointment.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Can't say I regret taking McBain out of the OJHL, either (though he had a tough draft+1 year health wise). Not that the BCHL thing doesn't give me pause, but the more I read and see the less it worries me.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
At the end of the day, nhl transferable skills are MHL transferable skills. I would hate to not draft the Best player possible because I was scared off by the league.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Newhook is currently playing with all the CHL superstars at the U18's. Probably get a decent idea of how his talent translates?

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Jamie Benn has 65 in 53
Duncan Keith had 82 in 60*
Danton Heinen had 62 in 57
Ryan Johansen had 17 in 47 (!)*
Travis Zajac has 112 in 59
Kyle Turris had 121 in 53
Andrew Ladd had 55 in 58*

Alex Newhook has 102 in 53
Asterisk denotes draft-1 year where
Alex Newhook had 66 in 45

There are cases for and against both guys coming out of each league. As it stands, Newhook being in the BCHL doesn’t really mean he can’t turn into an NHL player or too 6 center any more than Krebs’ 68 points in 64 WHL games (only 19 goals by the way) and -50, with a sub 50% FO% means he can’t be a top 6 NHL center.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Newhook is currently playing with all the CHL superstars at the U18's. Probably get a decent idea of how his talent translates?

I’m excited to see how he does on the same team as guys like Cozens, Dach and Krebs. Could be some movement come draft day because of it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’m excited to see how he does on the same team as guys like Cozens, Dach and Krebs. Could be some movement come draft day because of it.
Good news- he had a hat trick in an exhibition the other day
Bad news- he's playing on the wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad