Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 4 - The Draft Is Coming

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The thing is Broberg is only an elite straight line skater. His agility and backwards skating aren't nearly as good.

I can't think of too many top pairing defensemen who have straight line speed as their most notable strength.

Umm Bobby Orr never skated backwards.... Brobergs acceleration is good. He’s fast enough he’d be able to stay with Mcdavid on a rush which would be entertaining.

Reactions: Ck1

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Thats a different suggestion than what you were suggesting before and I actually agree with you here.

The fact that Jesse was so poor at speaking english is on Jesse more than anyone else. He knew years in advance that he was coming to NA to play hockey.
That IMO was a tell...probably one of many the Oilers ignored. Columbus didnt.

And that’s why I’m saying we should drop foreigners who can’t speak the language on our list. We’re just not a good market to develop someone who doesn’t speak English well. If we were in New York there’s literally thousands of people who speak any language on earth. Where a guy coming from overseas can find a place to fit in if he doesn’t click with the team.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
"Has some room for improvement. As big as he is, he is not the fleetest of foot and could shore up his play deep in his own end. Those things can be worked on and will not hurt him come draft day." <-----Leon Draisaitl.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And that’s why I’m saying we should drop foreigners who can’t speak the language on our list. We’re just not a good market to develop someone who doesn’t speak English well. If we were in New York there’s literally thousands of people who speak any language on earth. Where a guy coming from overseas can find a place to fit in if he doesn’t click with the team.

I think in this day and age the onus is on a player to learn the language before he arrives in NA.
There is no excuse not to do this because these players know years in adavnce that they are going to try to play in NA.
Any player that doesnt do that is going to have difficulty learning systems and communicating with the coaching staff and his teammates.
The market IMO is irrelevant.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Umm Bobby Orr never skated backwards.... Brobergs acceleration is good. He’s fast enough he’d be able to stay with Mcdavid on a rush which would be entertaining.

That's the example you came up with? haha

Can you think of someone else who isn't the greatest defenseman of all time and played 40+ years ago?

Reactions: nabob

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's the example you came up with? haha

Can you think of someone else who isn't the greatest defenseman of all time and played 40+ years ago?

Duncan Keith usually doesn’t have to skate backwards much. Pretty much any high possession player won’t be caught defending the rush often.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Duncan Keith usually doesn’t have to skate backwards much. Pretty much any high possession player won’t be caught defending the rush often.

Huh? :laugh: What does that have to do with my question?

I knew I should have quit while I was ahead after Bobby Orr was brought up.

Reactions: nabob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Still think we are going to pick a US player. Holland always mentions them.
Yep from the interview, he has seen a LOT of the USA guys.

Also doesn't sound like he plans on moving the pick. If he does it'll be down, but not by much and only if a team comes to him with a great offer. He said history with him is he is not afraid of moving picks but at the same time he has only ever had 2 top 10 picks and he used them both.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
10-wheel-of-fortune-meaning-rider-waite-tarot-major-arcana_large.jpg

Clearly Broberg (Cozens)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Lots of high possession players defend the rush, what the hell is this narrative now.

Yup haha. There's an extremely strong correlation between great zone entry defense numbers and high possession metrics.

It's why a guy like Ryan Johnson might go at the end of the 1st round. Not great offensively and only good defensively when in his zone, but absolutely elite at stopping rushes at the blue line and transitioning the puck the other way.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yup haha. There's an extremely strong correlation between great zone entry defense numbers and high possession metrics.

It's why a guy like Ryan Johnson might go at the end of the 1st round. Not great offensively and only good defensively when in his zone, but absolutely elite at stopping rushes at the blue line and transitioning the puck the other way.
Even the best teams possession wise spend 40%-45% of the game without the puck.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This might be an interesting follow for some people. Two Engineers using artificial intelligence(don't ask me how) to create rankings.

They just released their Q rankings.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bobby Orr also played in a time when the game was very different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad