Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 4 - The Draft Is Coming

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If the Oilers were selecting between 10-15, I wouldn't have any issue with Broberg. But picking him at 8th over the potential likes of Dach, Zegras, Caufield, Cozens, Boldy, and Krebs isn't wise. Always go with BPA.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If the Oilers were selecting between 10-15, I wouldn't have any issue with Broberg. But picking him at 8th over the potential likes of Dach, Zegras, Caufield, Cozens, Boldy, and Krebs isn't wise. Always go with BPA.
maybe broberg is the BPA to the scouts...

BPA changes from person to person.

Reactions: Raab

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
brace-yourself-broberg-is-coming.jpg

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Okay then you draft best pick available at 8 which absolutely not a defensemen. There you go ya fool.

That’s your opinion, unless you’ve interviewed these guys, watched their games, and have a crystal ball you can’t really say that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
maybe broberg is the BPA to the scouts...

BPA changes from person to person.
Broberg isn't BPA to many scouts.. source Bobby Mack and numerous other media personalities with ties to scouts.

Holland would just be setting himself for a firing if he goes off the board his first real task.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Broberg isn't BPA to many scouts.. source Bobby Mack and numerous other media personalities with ties to scouts.

Holland would just be setting himself for a firing if he goes off the board his first real task.

There’s no consensus BPA. Thats why the scouts get paid the big bucks. Their intuition and ability to identify good players by themselves.

Reactions: nabob

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I can't really see any scenario where I would be happy to see Broberg picked. Maybe if we end up around 13 and have cap space/picks to show for it. There is no way we should be passing on a forward assuming you rate them relatively equal to Broberg.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
3 years from now, everyone here will wish Broberg was the pick. Or the reaction here would be "what a genius Holland is." Broberg is worth more than any of Dach, Krebs, Caulfield and Zegras any day of the week in 3-5 years and it's not even close. Offensive Dman with top pairing upside with elite skating over a serviceable forward 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Or setting himself up for a Stanley Cup run the same way he found Lidstrom.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
3 years from now, everyone here will wish Broberg was the pick. Or the reaction here would be "what a genius Holland is." Broberg is worth more than any of Dach, Krebs, Caulfield and Zegras any day of the week in 3-5 years and it's not even close. Offensive Dman with top pairing upside with elite skating over a serviceable forward 10 times out of 10.

Broberg is about the farthest thing from an offensive defenseman though.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Or setting himself up for a Stanley Cup run the same way he found Lidstrom.

Where were guys like you when I was shouting about McAvoy over JP in that draft.

Thing was though that McAvoy was a much better dman (sizable RHD as well as a bonus) with higher upside than JP... so that was much more of a no-brainer pick imo.

This time around though you'll have some very good forwards available... my absolute favourite is: Arthur Kaliyev who has MUCH MUCH higher upside than Broberg.

Everyone here better hope they don't pick Broberg over Kaliyev... because they'll have to put up with me saying "I told you so" for the next 5 years when Kaliyev rips it up and Broberg fizzles out. And that will be irritating for you all I assure you. :)

Fortunately I think the Oilers should/could know better and not make that mistake... hopefully.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
Larry Fisher is that you?? Cause hes the only draft ranking in the world that has Broberg over all of those forwards. Hahaha "serviceable forwards" and "Offensive Deman with top pairing upside". Love it when poster act like they have a crystal ball and like a player so much they can go agaisnt almost every scout and insiders take just to look like a hero. You like Broberg then fine but dont act like all 4 if those guys dont have potential to be impact players cause that's just dumb.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
While I don't think Broberg is the right pick at 8, I can't say I seen either Thomas Chabot or Charlie McAvoy being one of the roughly 6 best picks in their respective draft years. The reach picks that piss me off are when teams draft based on intangibles or fall in love with the character of the player and disregard the skill set behind it, Broberg to me has a projectible skill set that's got some real upside to it; it seems like a risky pick, but I prefer that kind of pick to taking a Luke Schenn or Erik Gudbransson high who never looked to have top pairing upside in the first place.

My feelings on taking Broberg at 8 are more along the lines of healthy skepticism more so than anger.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Where were guys like you when I was shouting about McAvoy over JP in that draft.

Thing was though that McAvoy was a much better dman (sizable RHD as well as a bonus) with higher upside than JP... so that was much more of a no-brainer pick imo.

This time around though you'll have some very good forwards available... my absolute favourite is: Arthur Kaliyev who has MUCH MUCH higher upside than Broberg.

Everyone here better hope they don't pick Broberg over Kaliyev... because they'll have to put up with me saying "I told you so" for the next 5 years when Kaliyev rips it up and Broberg fizzles out. And that will be irritating for you all I assure you. :)

Fortunately I think the Oilers should/could know better and not make that mistake... hopefully.

I don't really want Broberg either but if they did draft him. I really don't want to wish a player to fail just to prove a point.
I hope whomever we pick becomes an impact player for us and have all the success in the world.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Thank god they didn’t pick a D over serviceable forward Leon Draisaitl.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Now I'll say some good stuff about Broberg just to show I'm not totally biased. :)

The guy is very young... June 25th birthdate... so that's one fact in his favour... he's likely less developed and has some unseen upside at this stage.

Broberg also was a point per game in his 8 game regular season stint in SuperElit this past season... which is impressive. Any dman that puts up a point per game in Junior (and SuperElit is a good Junior league similar to QMJHL in quality)... is a good stat.

He also did well in the Allsvenskan league this past year. As noted by others... being a 17 year old dman playing 41 games in the 2nd best Men's league in Sweden is no easy task.

There's only been 5 other u18 dmen who have played 41+ games in the Allsvenskan league in a season so he obviously must have the confidence of his coaches to actually even stick on the roster in a Men's league at that age.

He scored 9 pts in 41 games... which is .22 pts per game... seemingly not that impressive BUT how many U18 dmen who played say 15+ games in the Allsvenskan league as a U18 player managed to do better than .22 pts game?

Glad you asked. :)

Answer...

Oliver Ekman Larsson did better... .44 pts/game in 39 games and we obviously know how well he turned out in the NHL

Oliver Kylington did better... .41 pts/game in 17 games... fairly small sample size

Magnus Hedlund did better... .39 pts/game in 44 games... but that was almost 20 years ago and he's a Dman/Centre who was 5'7" and 165lbs who went undrafted (likely because of his diminutive size).

Dick Tärnström did better... .33 pts/game in 15 games... again pretty small sample here though

Rasmus Andersson did better... a U17 and U18 season in that league... .29 pts/game in 38 games and .30 pts/game in 43 games... now playing in the NHL with Calgary

Tom Hedberg did slightly better... .24 pts/game in 21 games... fairly small sample as well... this was actually his U17 season in that league... so pretty impressive. He's 19 now (shortly turns 20) and has already played 3 seasons in the Allsvenskan and 1 year in the OHL with Barrie. Seems to have possibly somewhat topped out and stalled on his development path and went undrafted.

So there's only 6 dmen... and only 3 dmen actually had better pts/game seasons in the Allsvenskan while playing 30+ game seasons in that league as a U18.... and 1 of those was ~20 years ago and he was very undersized.

Broberg has NHL size already at 6' 3" and over 200 lbs and he's not even 18 yet (turns 18 in 5 days).

So yes, I acknowledge the appeal of Broberg... he has good size, is young and his stats are better than they seem (both in SuperElit and the Men's league).. but even saying all that... I still don't feel he has the upside potential of some of the better forwards that will be available for the Oilers to select at #8.

Just wanted to post a more unbiased evaluation of the player in comparison to his peers... he isn't a terrible pick... just that there are better options available.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

He's not an offensive Dman. The likelihood of him reaching that 'top pairing upside' is extremely thin. And Dach, Zegras, Caufield, their not serviceable forwards. I can see Dach and Zegras becoming top-line centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->