Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 4 - The Draft Is Coming

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Yes, D with alot more than just straight line speed like Broberg.

I haven’t watched a lot of him game, but I went to all the games at the Hlinka last year and I would say he had a better tournament then Byram, I think some of his flaws are getting overblown here just because the board doesn’t want him.

Which I agree with, if we were picking 15th and picked him I’d be thrilled and I know there’s people that have seen him more then me. But he seems to have a lot of the raw skill you love in a defenseman

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Send him down there while he's waiver eligible and leave him there. Worked fine for Tampa with Drouin. Too late to do that now so if he's threatening the KHL now, guess we let him give that a shot to prove he can actually dominate a lower level league.

Edit - You still didn't answer the question also. I've asked you the same question repeatedly and never gotten an answer.

Well its really a rhetorical question.
Of course a team has an influence over player development and a team can fail a player....the Oilers have had theor share of failure for sure. That doesnt mean that you can say that every failure is the teams fault.
JP and his agent have pushed back on Jesse being in the AHL and you know that. The Oilers have definitly played a role here...I am not sure why you think I am picking sides.
That said based on the information we have its clear that Jesse and his agent should be shouldering most of the blame.
Jesse simply isnt an NHL player but him and his agent have an inflated sense of his abilities and believe that he is.
Its really too bad but I wish good luck to him.

Ultimately I care more about the team than the player.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Of course a team has an influence over player development and a team can fail a player....the Oilers have had theor share of failure for sure. That doesnt mean that you can say that every failure is the teams fault.
JP and his agent have pushed back on Jesse being in the AHL and you know that. The Oilers have definitly played a role here...I am not sure why you think I am picking sides.
That said based on the information we have its clear that Jesse and his agent should be shouldering most of the blame.
Jesse simply isnt an NHL player but him and his agent have an inflated sense of his abilities and believe that he is.

This is correct. I think that most media are being easy on the player by saying that the Oilers contributed by failing to develop JP properly. Quite frankly however, 90% of the failure in this instance is on the player.

You could tell in the first few games that JP did not seem to know what to do when he was on the ice. He then seemed to balk at going to the minors in an effort in trying to improve his game.

Bigger than the failure to develop JP properly, I think that the Oilers bigger failure was not properly scouting this player before the draft.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Lol this is as much as a concession as I'll ever get I know so thanks for that.

As for why I (and others) think you're taking sides? Because you post constantly about how the prospect is failing and never about how the team is failing the prospect (Yak, Pulju, others). I'm surprised you can't see that.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
MacT bumped into Nurse’s Dad while taking a piss at the 2013 draft. We selected Nurse shortly after (not sure if your post was sarcasm or not :laugh:)

Kind of glad he did though. I think the pick was going to be Nichushkin otherwise. Nurse>>>Nichushkin.

Reactions: KYams17

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is correct. I think that most media are being easy on the player by saying that the Oilers contributed by failing to develop JP properly. Quite frankly however, 90% of the failure in this instance is on the player.

You could tell in the first few games that JP did not seem to know what to do when he was on the ice. He then seemed to balk at going to the minors in an effort in trying to improve his game.

Bigger than the failure to develop JP properly, I think that the Oilers bigger failure was not properly scouting this player before the draft.

100%....couldnt agree more.
The Oilers failed badly in scouting the player...he should have never been picked at #4.
Columbus passed on Jesse for a reason.

Reactions: Rufus Aslegard

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lol this is as much as a concession as I'll ever get I know so thanks for that.

As for why I (and others) think you're taking sides? Because you post constantly about how the prospect is failing and never about how the team is failing the prospect (Yak, Pulju, others). I'm surprised you can't see that.

Well...this is just wrong. I cast blame where I think it lies.
You are not new to the boards so I think you know that I have been very critical of the team in the past. In the case of Yak and Jesse though I think most of the blame falls on the player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
One thing that I found a little confusing....Jesse and his agent claim they want a fresh start but thats exactly what they are getting with Holland and Tippet yet they still want out.
Some of the media are talking about a disconnect between Jesse and his teammates. Certain players simply do not want to play with Jesse...maybe thats why they are so committed to going to a different team.
Makes sense.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Well...this is just wrong. I cast blame where I think it lies.
You are not new to the boards so I think you know that I have been very critical of the team in the past. In the case of Yak and Jesse though I think most of the blame falls on the player.
Absolutely, if it’s always the organization’s fault then why are guys like Draisaitl, Klefbom and Nurse doing so good? The problem the organization made with Yak and Puli is drafting them in the first place. Yak failed with two other NHL teams and look where he’s playing now. Puli will likely follow that path. Not every high pick works out, it happens.

Reactions: guymez

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
"Has some room for improvement. As big as he is, he is not the fleetest of foot and could shore up his play deep in his own end. Those things can be worked on and will not hurt him come draft day." <-----Leon Draisaitl.

I get your point, but I don't know that the improvement we saw in Drai's skating post-draft should be the expected improvement for all future big men. Drai had a VERY noticeable improvement from draft+1 to draft+2 even.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I personally think the gap in skating ability across the league is massively overstated.

Sure, Dach might never be an elite skater, but if his skating doesn't improve, there's still very little separating him from about 70-80% of the league.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I personally think the gap in skating ability across the league is massively overstated.

Sure, Dach might never be an elite skater, but if his skating doesn't improve, there's still very little separating him from about 70-80% of the league.
Skating has always been one of my least concerning flaws in a prospect. As long as they acknowledge that it needs to improve and actually put the work in it’s never an issue.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Absolutely, if it’s always the organization’s fault then why are guys like Draisaitl, Klefbom and Nurse doing so good? The problem the organization made with Yak and Puli is drafting them in the first place. Yak failed with two other NHL teams and look where he’s playing now. Puli will likely follow that path. Not every high pick works out, it happens.

I completely agree.
Like @Rufus Aslegard pointed out though the Oilers have to own the fact that they blew the pick. They clearly didnt do their due diligence when it cam to Puljujarvi or Yakupov.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
When I hear 'needs work on his skating' and it is a forward with other good attributes I am not worried too much. When I see 'needs work on his skating' and it is referring to a Dman I want nothing to do with the player. (See Reinhart, Alex Plante, David Musil)

Also in this day and age it is more rare to see a tangible improvement in a guys skating because all the things that improve skating have been worked on since the guy was 13 years old, unlike in the past. These days there may be slight improvements but for the most part, what you see is what you get.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
as always, lol @ people who don't understand how player development works

the oilers failed puljujarvi far more than he failed the oilers

people who think otherwise are the equivalent of people thinking that persons experiencing poverty just need to work harder

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Skating has always been one of my least concerning flaws in a prospect. As long as they acknowledge that it needs to improve and actually put the work in it’s never an issue.

To me, there's basically three categories to skating. Elite skating, NHL skating and skating that's bad enough to limit a player's future.

I don't think elite skating is the end-all-be-all. It's just an extra tool. Drafting players based mainly on it is just as shortsighted as drafting players based on size.

As long as a player has NHL skating and doesn't play a style that requires elite skating, I'm looking at hockey sense and skill above all else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad