Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
This is such a weird draft. I see talk of Detroit liking Seider at 6. Zegras likely being a top 5 pick and maybe even going at 3 to Chicago. Buffalo interested in Caufield and Broberg possibly going top 5 as well?

Where did all this come from? Some of these guys havent played in like a month.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The whole ignore size for speed and skill is risky as NHL play styles are cyclical.

Size and power will become prevalent again (I mean we’re seeing it right now with the Blues).

I’d like to see us draft a skilled player with size (I.e. Dach or Boldy).

Just take the best player available.

I know the example is played out, but going for big and skilled is what ended up with the Oilers trading down and taking Benoit Pouliot instead of drafting Zach Parise.

If the skilled player with size is the best guy available at #8, of course take him. But if the 5'10 guy projects to be better, don't go convincing yourself out of taking him because you're concerned about whichever "cycle" the league is in.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So HockeyProspect has Cozens #14 on their final rankings and I asked Mark Edwards about it. His response:
So remember this is me talking not all HP scouts. Going back to last year at this time Cozens was the guy I didn't see what everyone else saw. I saw average hockey IQ. I think we had him 13th in lat years BB's early list. He had the big Hlinka and my buddy Craig Button loved his game. I thought everything went right for him there. Hope plays turned into points. We put out our first list and gave him the benefit of the doubt. If you followed us in the past yo will know that I don't like our rankings looking like a yo yo. So rather than move Cozens down I figured I'd wait for the long haul and be sure. I saw him on a trip west in November and he was ok at best. I don't hate him as player but he's a notch behind the big boys for me (and now others on our staff as well). We could've moved him in February for sure but I figured I'd save it for our final list. Only list that matters if you are a team.

Sound familiar? ;)

There's a reason I respect these guys far more than any other scouting publication. Mark really knows his stuff. I may not agree with him on everything but generally speaking we have a pretty similar view on prospects. He also said the reason for them having Dach #8 was consistency issues and that he's the 4th most talented player in the draft.

Last edited:

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
This is such a weird draft. I see talk of Detroit liking Seider at 6. Zegras likely being a top 5 pick and maybe even going at 3 to Chicago. Buffalo interested in Caufield and Broberg possibly going top 5 as well?

Where did all this come from? Some of these guys havent played in like a month.

I've been asking myself the same question...
Sieder at 6 is a weird one for me. Especially if Broberg is the one who's stock is on the rise into the top 10. I've tried to guess how it will play out 100 times and I have no idea what's going to happen. This could be a crazy one folks. Looking back at this draft 4 or 5 years from now could will be interesting. Seeing who went where and the players they turn out to be.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

I know the example is played out, but going for big and skilled is what ended up with the Oilers trading down and taking Benoit Pouliot instead of drafting Zach Parise.

If the skilled player with size is the best guy available at #8, of course take him. But if the 5'10 guy projects to be better, don't go convincing yourself out of taking him because you're concerned about whichever "cycle" the league is in.

It was actually Marc Antoine Pouliot

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I can only hope all of these top 7 guys out of the blue are true. I'd be elated if broberg and or Seider go in the top 7

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

It is hard to avoid looking hindsight here, but who is out engaging in on-ice drills 2 weeks before the draft? Once the combine is over, they should put these kids in bubble wrap until they are drafted.

In all likelihood, this should not impact his draft status that much. Doubt he would be penciled in to playing the NHL next year anyways. This injury ensures that he will play next year in junior.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Very entertaining highlight package. Newhook's shot is a lot better than I thought it was. Kid can snipe.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Fair enough, but I also believe Dach or Boldy would be BPA at 8.

3-15ish in this draft is such a mishmash of opinions. I’m a big believer in the upside of Dach and Boldy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He should be off our board. I hate saying that about a high character kid but I’d move him off our board.
Big injuries like that definitely drop a players stock. It's how Benson fell into the first when he was originally projected to be a 1st. Although it happened later.

Krebs might fall to mid round now

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Big injuries like that definitely drop a players stock. It's how Benson fell into the first when he was originally projected to be a 1st. Although it happened later.

Krebs might fall to mid round now

Easily should drop to 15-20ish range. Achilles injuries are absolutely nasty injuries to suffer especially this young.

Some team is going to get a good player and he’ll be a steal for them but with the 3-15 range being so razor thin tight, an injury like that removes him from our contention IMO. He’s by all accounts a great kid with character for days but I’d take him out of contention for our pick.

One of the things that sucks is Buffalo were high on him apparently, hopefully this doesn’t make them take Dach now.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It is hard to avoid looking hindsight here, but who is out engaging in on-ice drills 2 weeks before the draft? Once the combine is over, they should put these kids in bubble wrap until they are drafted.

In all likelihood, this should not impact his draft status that much. Doubt he would be penciled in to playing the NHL next year anyways. This injury ensures that he will play next year in junior.
Fair but a cut Achilles can often turn into injury issues with it later on as well.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

This is why you draft Krebs, compete.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Could you imagine 2 Draisaitls?

Can please stop comparing Dach to Draisaitl. They literally play nothing alike. The only similarities is that they both have German last names. Dach plays a more Sakic type game where he comes down the wing and can beat you with a clean wrister. Or he can create by gaining the zone with possession. He doesn’t play a heavy cycle game, where he can physically keep the puck away from opponents like Draisaitl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad