2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
if you don't know, just for discussion sake, what is your take on Newhook and 2 of 3 of my favorite prospects, Kaliyev and Caufield.
I like all 3 of them.

Newhook is just so fast. He's a breakout machine. A little bit of young Toews in his game. It'd be great if he could develop a strong 2 way game like Toews did.

Kaliyev is just a pure sniper. Like Wahlstrom last year and like Ovechkin, Laine, Tarasenko, etc. Kaliyev can be a 30 goal power winger.

Caufield is also a great sniper. Not a big power winger like the ones listed above, but a small shifty one like DeBrincat.

All 3 are top 15 in the draft so far.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I like all 3 of them.

Newhook is just so fast. He's a breakout machine. A little bit of young Toews in his game. It'd be great if he could develop a strong 2 way game like Toews did.

Kaliyev is just a pure sniper. Like Wahlstrom last year and like Ovechkin, Laine, Tarasenko, etc. Kaliyev can be a 30 goal power winger.

Caufield is also a great sniper. Not a big power winger like the ones listed above, but a small shifty one like DeBrincat.

All 3 are top 15 in the draft so far.
i have been on all these players since before the season, with the addition of Turcotte and Pelletier. however if i was the hawks gm i would newhook fist..... but it would be close to Kaliyev..... the rap i read on Kaliyev is he is somewhat considered a puck hog and shoots a crazy amount to the net. i just don't know if this is true, i just been reading it. i usually wait out the yr and someone will either confirmed it or deny it.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
i have been on all these players since before the season, with the addition of Turcotte and Pelletier. however if i was the hawks gm i would newhook fist..... but it would be close to Kaliyev..... the rap i read on Kaliyev is he is somewhat considered a puck hog and shoots a crazy amount to the net. i just don't know if this is true, i just been reading it. i usually wait out the yr and someone will either confirmed it or deny it.

Been on all like by reading mock drafts and seeing their names?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Of the ones you've listed thus far, I think my current ranking is: Newhook, Kaliyev, Pelletier, Turcotte, Caufield.

I don't have access to my list right now, but I think that's how it is right now.

I believe I have Newhook at #5 right now. So if we're out of the top 3, I'd like to see him get picked too.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Of the ones you've listed thus far, I think my current ranking is: Newhook, Kaliyev, Pelletier, Turcotte, Caufield.

I don't have access to my list right now, but I think that's how it is right now.

I believe I have Newhook at #5 right now. So if we're out of the top 3, I'd like to see him get picked too.
ref to Newhook i have him at a 3/4 kind of place. i really like Pelletier, but dang it, another smurf as posters here like to post.

i just read of a Finland D-man that seems to be the latest and greatest talk on the eu ...... do you know who it is, i lost my freaking shortcut and i am pissed.

2nd round i have 2 more smurf that really can make a name for them selves as well plus i been trying to get a good read on Harrison Blaisdell

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
ref to Newhook i have him at a 3/4 kind of place. i really like Pelletier, but dang it, another smurf as posters here like to post.

i just read of a Finland D-man that seems to be the latest and greatest talk on the eu ...... do you know who it is, i lost my freaking shortcut and i am pissed.

2nd round i have 2 more smurf that really can make a name for them selves as well plus i been trying to get a good read on Harrison Blaisdell
I have to imagine you're thinking of Anttoni Honka or Mikko Kokkonen. Only top Finnish D in the draft.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I have to imagine you're thinking of Anttoni Honka or Mikko Kokkonen. Only top Finnish D in the draft.
no offense, but i really don't remember. i was a little ahhhhh well i forget. crap happen in my old age.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
looking up the 2 players that you have given. no they are not them. this player was not listed and is 6'2 rhd. ......

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Maybe Hugo Has? He's a Cezch born player but he plays in Finland.
you may be right..... i would love Chi to get him if the team had multi picks in the 2nd round. so far what i have read is knock out. prediction so far 3rd draft b/c he hasn't made a name for himself. does this sound like him ??

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
you may be right..... i would love Chi to get him if the team had multi picks in the 2nd round. so far what i have read is knock out. prediction so far 3rd draft b/c he hasn't made a name for himself. does this sound like him ??
I think Craig Button ranked him the 1st round. Maybe a few others have started to as well.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think Craig Button ranked him the 1st round. Maybe a few others have started to as well.
dang it, if this is the guy, i would not have imagine he will be missed by them. i need to read what Button has to say on him later.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I worry that if we wait and none of them pan out, then we are screwed.
i know you didn't post this for me, but i would like to contribute. but the state of the team now is a mini rebuild/tweak..... whether the FO wants to admit it or not. as i posted earlier, a goalie draft now, will get a minimum of 4 yrs of development time. the best route would be the UDFA from the college ranks, the eu ranks. spend this yr loading up on prospects..... offensive prospects.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Jesus, now you’re using “smurf” in a non-ironic way too?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Cozens is not a shoot first player...I am not saying he isn't capable of scoring, he will go to the net and get goals like Toews has...but he in no way shape or form is a shoot first player.
hey American Dream, i know you like to keep abreast of draft prospects or i am assuming you do. who are your favorites so far ??

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Cozens is not a shoot first player...I am not saying he isn't capable of scoring, he will go to the net and get goals like Toews has...but he in no way shape or form is a shoot first player.

I didn't say shoot first, I said better shooter. I even checked the scouting report and even the prospects board to see if I was wrong on my assessment.. I wasn't. He's not my favorite prospect, but I'd be pissed if we passed on him if the draft went that way. I think he's gonna be a very good player.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I didn't say shoot first, I said better shooter. I even checked the scouting report and even the prospects board to see if I was wrong on my assessment.. I wasn't. He's not my favorite prospect, but I'd be pissed if we passed on him if the draft went that way. I think he's gonna be a very good player.
I don't think he is a better shooter than passer either, this kid is strong power type forward that just does everything well. He is not a sniper which is what I said...he is not a Kaliyev or Boldy who look to shoot first. Cozens has a ways to go to be considered a top goal scorer for me, he might barely hit 30 goals this year in the Dub...Kaliyev might hit over 50...it is not close for me..I like the kid and would be very happy to get him, we will see if he makes team Canada for the WJC this year which will be very hard to do...

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't think he is a better shooter than passer either, this kid is strong power type forward that just does everything well. He is not a sniper which is what I said...he is not a Kaliyev or Boldy who look to shoot first. Cozens has a ways to go to be considered a top goal scorer for me, he might barely hit 30 goals this year in the Dub...Kaliyev might hit over 50...it is not close for me..I like the kid and would be very happy to get him, we will see if he makes team Canada for the WJC this year which will be very hard to do...

i too like Kaliyev to be the Bhawks choice. even if the team will be picking 2nd. however a lot can be said and someone make an argument for Cozens being in the top 4. now i really like Newhook almost as i like Kaliyev, but for me the BCHL is the question mark.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Huh, I simmed the lottery over at Tankathon for the first time this season and on the very first try got Hawks at #1! Oh and Blues dropped 3 spots down to #5 aha.

I’m really starting to impress myself at this point.

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
My dream scenario, with a slight twinkle:

We win the lottery for 2019 draft and draft Hughes. We go and get Artemi Panarin from free agency while we move only Anisimov. We bring up Ian Mitchell and he will play like Joker this year.

The kids still arent good enough, D has his flaws because we are playing too many kids and still relying too much on Keith so we are going for Lafreniere hunt. And we win him too.

Obviously this happens because we have this @Rooh kid here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad