2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I’ll be glad when that loophole is gone next lockout. But why would Barratt not sign? Its not like the Hawks have a logjam of depth in the bottom 6...

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Seems like Barratt is going to be this year's Hayes/Sikura, where we wonder if he will sign or go UFA route.
He’d have to go back to school for 2 more years to be a UFA. That wouldn’t make any sense if he’s close to NHL ready while belonging to a team that has a need for scoring depth.

Reactions: AmericanDream

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Olofsson would be the more logical name to do that, but honestly I see no reason for him to do that, opportunity is here if he wants to earn it..he is a forgotten name around here, but another potential home run/potential
Hes a total threat to leave. Opportunity is hardly the reason guys leave, it may dictate choice but Vesey could of joined in the playoffs and Kayes mighta been able to help those 2014 playoffs depth issue. But guys who leave are all often guys who wanted to be signed prior but the team said no or pissed someone was traded.

Olofsson wanted to sign this summer but the Hawks didnt. But someone that only turns it up their senior year isnt likely to be a great piece.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
He’s not a great piece but he can be a good one. His production didn’t suddenly shoot up. He’s been pretty productive throughout his college career while playing a really strong defensive game and was battling injuries last year. Coaching staff there still thought he was one of their best players last season and he’s taken a step forward this season, which you’d expect a Senior to do.

It’s not the end of the world if he signs elsewhere but he’d be a nice piece to have that can be in the mix at the bottom six at the NHL level.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I never felt there was a reason to think Sikura, or for that matter Hayden, Johns, or Paliotta were not going to sign. Because the Hawks never did anything against them. They were the ones that all said, I want to finish my degree or finish with this college team.

That's not the case with Olofsson which is why there can be that doubt he'll feel he has to be loyal to a club that in a way turned him down.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I never felt there was a reason to think Sikura, or for that matter Hayden, Johns, or Paliotta were not going to sign. Because the Hawks never did anything against them. They were the ones that all said, I want to finish my degree or finish with this college team.

That's not the case with Olofsson which is why there can be that doubt he'll feel he has to be loyal to a club that in a way turned him down.
There is truth to some of this, but let's not kid ourselves here, typically the kids that snub their original drafted team and not sign are much higher draft picks. Meaning, the expectations are much different for the player and for the organization and how they should handle that player.

What you are talking about happens more than many truly know where a player wants to sign, but the player hasn't done enough just yet to prove they are worth that contract. These are typically your 4th round and lower picks that do sign with their original team despite being denied a contract the year prior. Olofsson is exactly this. He had a good year last year, but why on Earth would he be jaded by a Hawks team that didn't sign him? He didn't have a great year. He is a late round pick as well. The Hawks have a contract max to boot, so they need to prioritize and he just wasn't up to snuff.

He is in final year of college, seems more motivated than last year. Does he snub the Hawks if they offer him a contract at the end of the year? I highly doubt it since no bridges are burned here, the kid looks like a nice wild card prospect who has plenty of opportunity to grow with the Hawks. Of course he could not sign and test the market, but the odds are well in favor of him signing here as most of these cases do not play out like a Kevin Hayes.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This would probably be a good question for Powers. Might do some digging on it as season goes on.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
2019 NHL Draft Rankings - HockeyProspect.com

typically best list around, but Mark Edwards and his team have been bullish on Arthur Kaliyev all year - bullish meaning not ranking him in the top 31, only one that is not currently...their fears were of effort away from the puck/lazy play at times, but I haven't seen that at all the past month and think they need to find a new OHL scout...

great read though, strong top 10

Reactions: LDF

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Of course it entirely depends where we end up picking, but I get this feeling that Newhook will be our pick.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

typically best list around, but Mark Edwards and his team have been bullish on Arthur Kaliyev all year - bullish meaning not ranking him in the top 31, only one that is not currently...their fears were of effort away from the puck/lazy play at times, but I haven't seen that at all the past month and think they need to find a new OHL scout...

many thanks for this update on the mock draft prospects. while looking at it, for me, i am still a huge fan of Arthur Kaliyev . the other 1 or the 2 that i am also keen on is Turcotte, even thou he has been hurt.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
many thanks for this update on the mock draft prospects. while looking at it, for me, i am still a huge fan of Arthur Kaliyev . the other 1 or the 2 that i am also keen on is Turcotte, even thou he has been hurt.

Just to be clear, HP’s list isn’t a mock draft, it’s a ranking. Important distinction.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

Unreal... nine USNTDP players in the top 31.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hockey Canada's development has really fallen behind the USA the last several years, and it's now showing up at the pro levels.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would love for them to draft Spencer Knight. The Hawks have no real replacement for Crow in the pipeline.
while it might be a good idea, i think the org has enuf of the young goalies. i really think they need to concentrate on the offensive players next yr, esp in the 2nd round where Knight might or is projected to get pick according to the mock's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad