2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hughes is on pace to have more points than Matthews over 2 years at the USNDP...Matthews is the leader for USNDP scoring all -time and Hughes is on pace to destroy that...

Matthews had 167 points over 2 years - Hughes has 166 RIGHT NOW with a ton of games left, what Hughes is doing is unbelievable at the USNDP..Hughes has been far superior to Matthews at the USNDP, but people seem to be overlooking some of this...
But didn't Matthews start playing in that league at a younger age and leave that league at a younger age?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But didn't Matthews start playing in that league at a younger age and leave that league at a younger age?
he was a late birthday, he had no choice...USNDP goes by birth year, Matthews a late 97 but his class is ALL 97's regardless of when in the year...he played 2 full seasons at the USNDP then decided to not go to the CHL or NCAA...he went to play in the SWISS league instead..as a late draft pick his draft was delayed until the following year, Hughes is not that and has no choice but to play here or accelerate schooling and be a 17 year old college freshmen which many decide not to do..both played 2 full years at the USNDP, Hughes likely destroys Matthews totals -

Reactions: CallMeShaft

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
my point is this with Hughes - people saying his numbers aren't that great are just talking out their ass...nobody here mind you, just your typical HF clueless posters. Hughes will be the greatest scorer of all-time for the USNDP, that includes Matthews, Eichel, Kane, Kessel, Keller, Tkachuk/Tkachuk, etc... what he has done here has been amazing. he has averaged 2 ppg the past 3 seasons and is right there as well again right now...I just don't know what more he could do to be honest as his ppg pace right now is almost equal to Matthews in his 2nd season, but yet isn't good enough for some??? wtf????

it just happens every year where a player has been under the microscope for some time, people get used to them and try and find every flaw they can and start hyping others who have come on the scene the past year...there is not a single legit scouting service that has Hughes outside the #1 spot...NONE...he is going #1 overall and at the very least should have a Kane like impact at the NHL level - 70-90 point player...he has shown nothing but that since he was 13...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Kaapo Kakko - what's his story?

Lots of Ks and vowels in that name.

Supposedly, he's bigger and stronger than Hughes, but can he skate? We need more speed.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Kaapo Kakko - what's his story?

Lots of Ks and vowels in that name.

Supposedly, he's bigger and stronger than Hughes, but can he skate? We need more speed.
Kakko plays over in Finland's top professional league (Liiga). Started the season blazing hot scoring over a point per game which is just insane. Shortly cooled off, went through a bit of a slump but has recently picked things back up and is currently scoring at a 0.74 PPG pace which is higher than Laine's PPG pace of 0.72 from his draft year.

Very good skater, and ofc he's not no Hughes but is still pretty fast for his size. The edgework, balance and puck control pops big time when watching him play, just tremendous for a 17 year old.

He has a very cool name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Kakko plays over in Finland's top professional league (Liiga). Started the season blazing hot scoring over a point per game which is just insane. Shortly cooled off, went through a bit of a slump but has recently picked things back up and is currently scoring at a 0.74 PPG pace which is higher than Laine's PPG pace of 0.72 from his draft year.

Very good skater, and ofc he's not no Hughes but is still pretty fast for his size. The edgework, balance and puck control pops big time when watching him play, just tremendous for a 17 year old.

He has a very cool name.
he has been scoring in a league where men played and in a league where it is hard to score.

however Hughes past scoring needs to be taken in consideration.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Kaapo Kakko is the closest of Marian Hossa in this draft and I see a lot similarities. Kakko’s shot is average though, it’s pretty much Saad lite. But a bit practise and it’s going to be very good.

He can score and wants to score.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I prefer Kakko to Hughes...

1.Hughes is very smurfy...
2.Hughes is always surrounded by the cream if the U.S. crop at both u-18 and u-20 versions of the USNTDP ...
inflates his assists. ..what would happen if he was solo with an average or crappy team in the USHL or OHL ...probably not so great on the stays. ..

3. Lol at the difference between hisvu-18 stats and his u-20 stats comparing the 2 versions of the USNTDP he plays for this season...

He has ONLY 1 goal on 10GP in the better u-20 team ..he has 14 assists
So 15 pts vs USHL teams is hardly dominating that league for 10GP
.especially in the goals.

When he plays on the u-18 version the competition is either easier or the talent with him even better or some combo of both..cause he is really dominating there...We shall see what he does at the World Jr's this coming tournament..

That team willl have a mix of players from the USNTDP programs and from still under 20 grads of the USNTDP playing in college and son from U.S and Canadian Jr. Leagues ..
He will have lots of talent to play with but at least be challenged by the best available u-20 talent from the other countries in the tournament. . HE probably will still shine because he has such good u.s. talent to play with...

I question though ,how a smurfy guy like him at Centre would be on a dreadful team like the Blackhawks or Blues or L.A. are currently ...with all the problems they have.

I think there is a risk he would be one of those guys who standout as a junior but have a much tougher time translating success an impact to the NHL ...especially on bottom feeder teams years away from contending again..

Personally. . Would rather have Kakko ...already very impressive against men in the Sm-light putting up the numbers he has..Love the size. .and Hossa-like 2 -way game ..all-round player ..I just think a lit less risk than smurfy Hughes for the show.

He instantly would be top six forward on the Hawks. .

Way too much risk with Hughes ...we already have enough trouble preventing goals and I do not think a smurfy Centre like him would do much to help in that aspect going against men and big teams at the NHL level..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
and for those wondering, Alex Turcotte came back this weekend vs NCAA competition. He got on the board already vs Lake Superior St...so the kid is back, now let's see all the lists reshuffle that he is healthy and playing again...

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
and for those wondering, Alex Turcotte came back this weekend vs NCAA competition. He got on the board already vs Lake Superior St...so the kid is back, now let's see all the lists reshuffle that he is healthy and playing again...

Other than some late-game fatigue (expected) he looked damn good for someone just coming back.

And yeah, some of the Hughes stuff and the efforts being put forth to dump on the kid and negate his standing are laughable.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Other than some late-game fatigue (expected) he looked damn good for someone just coming back.

And yeah, some of the Hughes stuff and the efforts being put forth to dump on the kid and negate his standing are laughable.

I mean just look who is posting it. Turris over Kane, Miller for Kane, sign a player that is not eligible to be signed...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Unfortunately, it's not just Fiddy. There's a lot of that going around even outside of HF.

It is such a joke to me.

I don't think people understand how good of a skater he is and how good his vision is.

Will he be weak like Kane was early? 100% but speed and vision like he has in not normal.

He is 5'10" which is not a big deal.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It is such a joke to me.

I don't think people understand how good of a skater he is and how good his vision is.

Will he be weak like Kane was early? 100% but speed and vision like he has in not normal.

He is 5'10" which is not a big deal.

"But he looks 15 baahhhh".

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
"But he looks 15 baahhhh".

I know right.

He is in the younger section of his draft class (May bday).

Say the Hawks are lucky enough to get him it will be incredible to watch Kane and him play together. He thinks the game at that level. Everything seems so calculated with how he plays.

Rooh

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
I obv like Kakko, but some posters here are just simply overthinking this, Hughes has been the consensus #1 pick for quite sometime now. With that being said Kakko would be a nice fallback option to have.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I obv like Kakko, but some posters here are just simply overthinking this, Hughes has been the consensus #1 pick for quite sometime now. With that being said Kakko would be a nice fallback option to have.

They are both really good.

Rooh

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
They are both really good.
Both are very good players, but it's the same as the Matthews/Laine draft. It's only the posters on HF trying to make a case for Kakko over Hughes.

Rooh

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
I prefer Kakko to Hughes...

1.Hughes is very smurfy...
2.Hughes is always surrounded by the cream if the U.S. crop at both u-18 and u-20 versions of the USNTDP ...
inflates his assists. ..what would happen if he was solo with an average or crappy team in the USHL or OHL ...probably not so great on the stays. ..

3. Lol at the difference between hisvu-18 stats and his u-20 stats comparing the 2 versions of the USNTDP he plays for this season...

He has ONLY 1 goal on 10GP in the better u-20 team ..he has 14 assists
So 15 pts vs USHL teams is hardly dominating that league for 10GP
.especially in the goals.

When he plays on the u-18 version the competition is either easier or the talent with him even better or some combo of both..cause he is really dominating there...We shall see what he does at the World Jr's this coming tournament..

That team willl have a mix of players from the USNTDP programs and from still under 20 grads of the USNTDP playing in college and son from U.S and Canadian Jr. Leagues ..
He will have lots of talent to play with but at least be challenged by the best available u-20 talent from the other countries in the tournament. . HE probably will still shine because he has such good u.s. talent to play with...

I question though ,how a smurfy guy like him at Centre would be on a dreadful team like the Blackhawks or Blues or L.A. are currently ...with all the problems they have.

I think there is a risk he would be one of those guys who standout as a junior but have a much tougher time translating success an impact to the NHL ...especially on bottom feeder teams years away from contending again..

Personally. . Would rather have Kakko ...already very impressive against men in the Sm-light putting up the numbers he has..Love the size. .and Hossa-like 2 -way game ..all-round player ..I just think a lit less risk than smurfy Hughes for the show.

He instantly would be top six forward on the Hawks. .

Way too much risk with Hughes ...we already have enough trouble preventing goals and I do not think a smurfy Centre like him would do much to help in that aspect going against men and big teams at the NHL level..
My guy keeps posting about how Hughes is a "smurf" center, meanwhile 5'10 center Brayden Point is lighting up the league at age 22.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Oaky ... it's either Lose for Hughes or Wacko for Kakko.

This Turcotte kid ... was he the consensus #1 before he got hurt? Or is he just a legit top 3? It sounds like this draft has 3 blue chippers. If the Hawks finish in the top 3, we should be okay?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Oaky ... it's either Lose for Hughes or Wacko for Kakko.

This Turcotte kid ... was he the consensus #1 before he got hurt? Or is he just a legit top 3? It sounds like this draft has 3 blue chippers. If the Hawks finish in the top 3, we should be okay?

He was never #1 overall but was in the Top 5 for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad