Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Can’t say I’m really leaning one way or another. Just hoping whoever the Kings draft will develop into an integral part of the hockey club going forward.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
They need a high end center more than a goal scoring winger
Select the best forward who can can carry the play and give you the most bang for the buck so to speak. With what they may have left to pick from i’m liking Matt Boldy. He’s a great skater and passer and scorer and he’s 6’2” and 195 at this age. One of his best skills is controlling the puck on the boards. The dude can bring it and carry the play from the wing position. So if Cozens is out why not Boldy? His game seems made for the NHL. He’s a very spirited player who’s not going to be accused of being disinterested. The one thing he doesn’t do compared to Dach is take faceoffs. If Byram is gone I’d rather take this guy.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Select the best forward who can can carry the play and give you the most bang for the buck so to speak. With what they may have left to pick from i’m liking Matt Boldy. He’s a great skater and passer and scorer and he’s 6’2” and 195 at this age. One of his best skills is controlling the puck on the boards. The dude can bring it and carry the play from the wing position. So if Cozens is out why not Boldy? His game seems made for the NHL. He’s a very spirited player who’s not going to be accused of being disinterested. The one thing he doesn’t do compared to Dach is take faceoffs. If Byram is gone I’d rather take this guy.
Because he's years away from potentially being there. Dach is the better player now and likely down the line. Boldy is great if they're picking 10th+, but at 5 you don't reach for a Matthew Boldy. You take the Byram/Dach/Zegras.

Cozens is out for me, because he may end up being a RW in end, and like I said. He likes on-ice smarts which LA covets. Hence why Turcotte/Byram/Dach/Zegras is their list at 5.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Actually he told the Hawks if they pass on him (Caufield himself) they'll regret it, not Turcotte.

Found the clip watched it again and you might be right. The kid(Caufield) has balls for sure.
Sucks for Turcotte if Hawks take Byram since they said it is his childhood dream to play for the Hawks.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Snippet taken from new Athletic article speaking to 8 NHL scouts surveyed. (2 of the 8 scouts are directors of amateur scouting for NHL Teams)

In your estimation how good are the blue-chip centres in this class and who has the biggest ceiling outside of Hughes?
  • Lots of good centres in the draft at the top end, Kirby Dach (Saskatoon Blades, WHL) to me is one player with a very high ceiling.
  • Kirby Dach. A really good group of centres.
  • Trevor Zegras (U.S. U18, NTDP), I think 10 years down the road people will look back and see who was taken before him and just wonder.
  • It’s a solid group and for me outside of Hughes, it would be Trevor Zegras.
  • They are excellent and in abundance this year. If I had to pick one I’d take Trevor Zegras.
  • I would go with Alex Turcotte (U.S. U18, NTDP) and/or Trevor Zegrasin terms of ceiling. If Turcotte proves not to be a band-aid, he can become a high-end two-way player. Zegras has shown excellent things with more ice time and I love his shot and grit.
Which player do you think has the greatest potential to end up as a bust?
  • Arthur Kaliyev (LW, Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL). His production has raised expectations, don’t know if his game will translate at the next level. He won’t get the space he gets now at the pro level.
  • Arthur Kaliyev (LW, Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL).
  • Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA, VHL).
  • Alex Vlasic (D, U.S. U18, NTDP). I think he gets the NTDP benefit of the doubt, just a bigger guy.
  • Jayden Struble (D, St. Sebastian’s, MA-High School).
  • From the projected first-rounders it’s Spencer Knight (G, U.S. U18, NTDP). History tells us that predicting goalie futures is very tricky.
  • Brett Leason (RW, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL).

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I’m honestly fine with whoever they pick as long as it is t Cozens. He just screams Jake Virtanen to me, all the physical tools but not the toolbox. I’d be fine with him at 10+ but not at 5.

Reactions: Nodoughtyboutit

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I rumored the Kings are really high on Boldy, but not #5 overall high on him. They would love to somehow get that #8 or #11 pick (rumored to be on the table) if Boldy was still available, but it's hard to see what could make that work that is realistic.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
I don't see LA taking Caufield unless they trade back and all indications are they're not trading back or up. But staying at 5, don't see Caufield there.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Boldy > Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Krebs, Caufield

come back to this thread in 2 years.

I completely respect your statement but feel it’s speculative at best. Depends on too many variables. You have to factor in team Offensive philosophy and how each player is used, how they are developed and who they play with. Also depends on how a player takes to the NHL and so many mental aspects.

I really don’t care who is better. I just want a guy who can drive the bus for this team and be a key brick in the foundation.

Been following the Draft for 30+ years and I have learned to stay away from the A is better than B statements. I have no emotional attachment to any player either. It’s business and the Kings will draft who they feel is the BPA for their system. The realist in me says that every player on your list has top 6 ability.

Last edited:

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I don’t either honestly. Guess it’s not new that LA has some interest in Caufield really. Can’t see it at 5.

Whatever team drafts Caufield needs to be sure that he scores 35-40 goals per year for it to be a good trade because he isn’t much more than a sniper. That’s fine in itself but he needs to be an elite sniper and anything less isn’t worth #5.

I think that what makes teams cautious right now. Do you shoot for the moon and hope you get an 80+ point guy or do you go with a big Center who can play two-way and make your wings that much better?

Reactions: Vino

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The safest pick at #5 is Dach and then perhaps Zegras if Byram and Turcotte are gone.

There’s a reason why rumors right now have Dach being looked at possibly by CHI or COL. The guy is a really good player. For some reason, people are acting like the Kings would be settling for some bottom 6 guy if they took him.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Boldy's 6th on my list. And by that I mean 6th overall. One of the most complete players of the draft.
You pick the best player that will help the most to win hockey games, which is why I want Byram over Boldy to begin with if he's there. Byram doesnt score more goals for your team he helps you WIN more games. So looking at the best of the rest after Byram's gone then Boldy is the guy because he the best of everything else and he's a fast big dude who will assert himself and his sizeable skill. Others will probably score more goals individually but overall with assists he's going to elevate your offense and your team if he reaches his peak potential. Some of this is really incredible AND he's a big fast dude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7nFkEr3dXY

Reactions: Peter James Bond II
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad