Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Submitted an edited article to John Hoven about Dach, so I expect it to be published either today or tomorrow.

In the edits, I removed a quote about Dach from the coach. But I wanted to provide it here since I referenced it in the discussion:

“Blades head coach Mitch Love says it’s been ‘a treat’ to have Dach on his squad and to work with such a high-quality athlete. At the same time, Love added, as a teammate ‘he drives the competition here at practice and guys play up to that.
‘The most intriguing part for me, and working with Kirby, is just how competitive he is. He’s a bit of a cerebral player in terms of the way he plays the game, but he’s a student of the game, he’s got a high hockey IQ. His skill-set, in terms of his puck skills, his stick and everything, is tremendous.

‘But I think the biggest thing I’ve noticed all year long is just how complete of a player he’s becoming, which is never easy for a young man. I think everybody understands what his offensive abilities are, but his ability to play a 200-foot is so important, not only at this level but definitely at the next level in becoming a real good NHL player.””
Blue-chip NHL prospect Kirby Dach providing big measuring stick for parade of scouts

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Just a little perspective here. The last 7 drafts under Dean Lombardi, from 2010 to 2016, the Kings average first overall pick was 36th, equivalent then the the 6th pick in the 2nd round! If that doesn't open people's eyes to why we are in the position we are now, I don't know what will. To be fair, 2 low picks were due to the Kings winning it all. But the rest is due to trading away the future with a vengeance. The picks were 15th, 49th, 30th, 37th, 29th, 43rd and 51st. Pretty hard to build a winner out of that as your players age and the CAP puts on the squeeze. First 3 under Blake will be 11th, 20th and 5th. It will take time, but the talent will improve.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
#5 Turcotte/Byram
#22 Kaliyev/Seider
#33 Leason/Afanasyev

Amen.

If Byram falls to us, I think he starts in the NHL... The kid has zero left to prove in the minors..

#5) Bowen Byram .. starting to think Turcotte goes to the CBHs
#22) Samuel Poulin
#33) Whoever falls from the 1st :nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Just a little perspective here. The last 7 drafts under Dean Lombardi, from 2010 to 2016, the Kings average first overall pick was 36th, equivalent then the the 6th pick in the 2nd round! If that doesn't open people's eyes to why we are in the position we are now, I don't know what will. To be fair, 2 low picks were due to the Kings winning it all. But the rest is due to trading away the future with a vengeance. The picks were 15th, 49th, 30th, 37th, 29th, 43rd and 51st. Pretty hard to build a winner out of that as your players age and the CAP puts on the squeeze. First 3 under Blake will be 11th, 20th and 5th. It will take time, but the talent will improve.
I don't think there's a deader horse to be beat on this board than "DL spent the prospects pool in an attempt to win and remain competitive so we weren't picking high." No f***ing shit.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't think there's a deader horse to be beat on this board than "DL spent the prospects pool in an attempt to win and remain competitive so we weren't picking high." No ****ing ****.

The bigger issue besides trading away the picks was trading away prospects taht could have helped but didnt fit his type of player.. Colin Miller, Erik Cernak, Roland McKeown would have been decent but the drafting in 13 & 14 was bad, I mean the scouting dept whiffed badly

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Said this a few months ago, that Byram will play in the NHL next season.

He does have something to prove in the minors but isnt allowed to play there.:nod:

I still dont like that these kids arent allowed to polish their skills in the AHL, better off going to college for a year and playing against men

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The bigger issue besides trading away the picks was trading away prospects taht could have helped but didnt fit his type of player.. Colin Miller, Erik Cernak, Roland McKeown would have been decent but the drafting in 13 & 14 was bad, I mean the scouting dept whiffed badly
Funny LA quickly traded all those 2nd rounders (Cernak, McKeown, Zykov) within a 30 months time span.

Unfortunately for the wrong return.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
We know. It's a dead horse.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kings picking 5th and 22nd look likely to pick a fwd and a D man. There are a plethora of fwd possibilities at fwd at #5, and D men at 22. With Kupari and Vilardi already in the system for the Kings as Center prospects. This has fallen nicely for the Kings, to add to their already growing list of young players.

Reactions: LAKings88

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
7 picks in the first 4 rounds.

If the Kings can acquire at least 1 more pick that would give them 11, which would be the most picks they've ever had since the 7-round draft was instituted.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Craig thinks we take a RW and a goalie in the 1st round? :huh:

While I do think taking Caufield 5th overall is pretty high, I wouldn't mind the Kings taking him.

I'm still skeptical on Knight.

On another note, John Hoven posted the Dach article. Most of the die hard followers of prospects will know most of this stuff already, and we didn't get into the nitty gritty, but some you may still find interesting and a talking point.

2019 NHL Draft Preview: Kirby Dach, Center

Reactions: DoktorJeep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->