Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I really don’t think the Kings need anymore defense prospects, unless it is a top pairing guy like Byram. With Anderson, Clague, Durzi, Phillips, Brickley, Roy, Walker, LaDue, Moverare, and Hults, we have a lot of guys that can play on the second or third pair, not to mention Martinez, Forbort, and outside help.

We have a lot of second-, third-, and fourth-line guys too: Anderson-Dolan, Grundstrom, Wagner, Kempe, Thomas, Luff, Sodergran, Prokhorkin, maybe even Lizotte.

Outside of Vilardi and Kupari (and if I was a betting man, I wouldn’t put money on Kupari), we don’t have any first-line-potential kind of guys.

I would do everything possible to get another pick in the top 12. Getting a Byram, Turcotte, Zegras, or Dach in addition to a Caufield, Boldy, or Podkolzin would be a huge, huge victory. Even if we have to trade a guy like Clague, Toffoli, or Martinez plus the 22 and 33 picks. Top line talent on rookie and bridge contracts are worth their weight in gold.

As an aside, I thought this quote was funny:

From The Athletic: Execs unplugged: Behind the scenes on the NHL Draft floor

Rasmus Kupari is an elite talent and just turned 19. Few teens have ever scored over 30 pts in Liiga. He scored 33 before his 19th BDAY. (March 15 he turned 19, when playoffs were starting) You cannot begin to call Kupari a third line player for at least 2 more years. Give the kid 2 years...he's a pretty amazing talent. Let the Kings staff work with him. He's probably a better pure skater, than ANYONE in this class of 2019...or at least equal to any of the best, skating-wise. These things do not make him a top 6 NHL talent, but surely gives him a chance. He really lacks nothing.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Rasmus Kupari is an elite talent and just turned 19. Few teens have ever scored over 30 pts in Liiga. He scored 33 before his 19th BDAY. (March 15 he turned 19, when playoffs were starting) You cannot begin to call Kupari a third line player for at least 2 more years. Give the kid 2 years...he's a pretty amazing talent. Let the Kings staff work with him. He's probably a better pure skater, than ANYONE in this class of 2019...or at least equal to any of the best, skating-wise. These things do not make him a top 6 NHL talent, but surely gives him a chance. He really lacks nothing.

To be fair, I didn’t say Kupari was a third line talent. I just said I don’t see him as a first line player. And by that, I really mean I don’t see him as a top-30 in scoring kind of guy. A Kane, Gaudreau, Panarin kind of guy. I mean technically, Iafallo and Brown were top line players last year, so the bar is super low around here.

If he develops into a good second-line player, I’ll be really, really excited.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kupari's speed and skill give him high upside, but I wouldn't call him an elite talent. He's a good prospect. I'll be happy if he's a quality 2nd line player in the NHL. This upcoming season will tell us a lot about what he is.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The Kings are super high on Kupari. They think he's a first line talent. I saw the box :laugh:. PJBII is right, though in that he's a better skater than Kempe already. The Kings showed us footage of him doing some ridiculous stuff against men and I was like WTF is that Kupari? I think one of his big issues besides youth inconsistencies is that he can be a bit careless and reckless with his decision-making. But for real, the Kings need more players who are not afraid to go right at the defense and dangle them, rather than go the safe route and skate around the perimeter waiting for help. I wish Kopi would take more chances, but maybe it's not in his DNA to challenge the defense. Oh and the top 50 scorers in the NHL had at last 70 points last season. A Kane (3rd), Gaudreau (7th) and Panarin (17th) kinda guy are among the best first liners in the world. I get where you're coming from, but how about a Teravainen, Hertl or Aho kinda guy? That would work too.

Just a little more info. I don't know if anyone respects Corey Pronman's opinions, but he ranked Kupari 8th in his mid-season prospect rankings (he never did end of season) in January and listed him in the High-end prospect category
  • High-end prospect: Projects as a legit top-line forward who can play on your PP1/top pairing defenseman.
and said this:

8. Rasmus Kupari, C, Los Angeles
Previous ranking: 18
Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 50
Hockey sense: 55
There are times when I’m watching Kupari and I think he’s not only going to be good, but he could be a cornerstone player. The raw tools are off the charts. He’s a pro-sized center with high-end speed and puck skills who makes filthy moves seem routine, and he can do so at top speed. He’ll have rushes where he goes through several guys and you wonder just how high the ceiling is for him. I like his hockey sense, but I don’t think he sees the game at the same level as his other attributes and that’s the main thing holding him back from hitting the highest echelon for me. His production concerns from his draft season have all but subsided, and he looks on the fast track to the NHL.
Read more: Kupari a ‘man among boys’ at WJC

Take it for what it's worth. Which could be nothing!

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
From what I've seen of Kupari the talent is certainly there. Obviously, he needs a bit of work, but he certainly can ascend to a top line player. The only thing I can think of lately when I think of him though is what it would have been like if we could have drafted Kakko.... We could have had a line of Kupari, Kempe, and Kakko. The KKK line... lol, that would have gone over well. :laugh:

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I definitely hope I’m wrong about Kupari! I’m high on him in a 50 points per season kind of way. If he does become a legitimate top line winger posting 70 points a season, that would be incredible.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
From what I've seen of Kupari the talent is certainly there. Obviously, he needs a bit of work, but he certainly can ascend to a top line player. The only thing I can think of lately when I think of him though is what it would have been like if we could have drafted Kakko.... We could have had a line of Kupari, Kempe, and Kakko. The KKK line... lol, that would have gone over well. :laugh:

Maybe we can trade up and get Boldy around 10, so we can run these lines:

Boldy - Cozens - Vilardi
Kempe - Kopitar - Kupari

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The Kings are super high on Kupari. They think he's a first line talent. I saw the box :laugh:. PJBII is right, though in that he's a better skater than Kempe already. The Kings showed us footage of him doing some ridiculous stuff against men and I was like WTF is that Kupari? I think one of his big issues besides youth inconsistencies is that he can be a bit careless and reckless with his decision-making. But for real, the Kings need more players who are not afraid to go right at the defense and dangle them, rather than go the safe route and skate around the perimeter waiting for help. I wish Kopi would take more chances, but maybe it's not in his DNA to challenge the defense. Oh and the top 50 scorers in the NHL had at last 70 points last season. A Kane (3rd), Gaudreau (7th) and Panarin (17th) kinda guy are among the best first liners in the world. I get where you're coming from, but how about a Teravainen, Hertl or Aho kinda guy? That would work too.

Just a little more info. I don't know if anyone respects Corey Pronman's opinions, but he ranked Kupari 8th in his mid-season prospect rankings (he never did end of season) in January and listed him in the High-end prospect category
  • High-end prospect: Projects as a legit top-line forward who can play on your PP1/top pairing defenseman.
and said this:

8. Rasmus Kupari, C, Los Angeles
Previous ranking: 18
Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 50
Hockey sense: 55
There are times when I’m watching Kupari and I think he’s not only going to be good, but he could be a cornerstone player. The raw tools are off the charts. He’s a pro-sized center with high-end speed and puck skills who makes filthy moves seem routine, and he can do so at top speed. He’ll have rushes where he goes through several guys and you wonder just how high the ceiling is for him. I like his hockey sense, but I don’t think he sees the game at the same level as his other attributes and that’s the main thing holding him back from hitting the highest echelon for me. His production concerns from his draft season have all but subsided, and he looks on the fast track to the NHL.
Read more: Kupari a ‘man among boys’ at WJC

Take it for what it's worth. Which could be nothing!

Pronman is very good and actually conservative so that’s an excellent writeup when you look at his stuff.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Maybe we can trade up and get Boldy around 10, so we can run these lines:

Boldy - Cozens - Vilardi
Kempe - Kopitar - Kupari
Please no Cozens, lacks the IQ to play center in the NHL imo. He'll be a RW and I like Dach more as a prospect at 5.

Turcotte-Byram-Dach/Zegras. would be my list of prefernce. Dach and Zegras are interchangeable to me.

Reactions: savemefromtears

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Please no Cozens, lacks the IQ to play center in the NHL imo. He'll be a RW and I like Dach more as a prospect at 5.

Turcotte-Byram-Dach/Zegras. would be my list of prefernce. Dach and Zegras are interchangeable to me.

I don’t really care. I guess I just meant “whichever player we draft at 5 better be a #1 center or a #1 defenseman”. Cozens, Zegras, Turcotte, Dach, just choose correctly. I feel the same about a winger - Boldy, Podkolzin, Caufield - make sure they’re a bonafide top line talent.

If we can add two top line talents to Vilardi, that will be huge.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I don't think I've ever been this interested in the draft as I have this year. Since we've been eliminated from the playoffs and found out we're drafting 5th overall seems like time is moving at the pace of a snail. My goodness get this thing started already.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What can we expect from the Kings as offseason reaches a...

Yanetti on the combine and interview process.

“Are things guys saying at the combine affecting their positions on the list? Absolutely. I think it affects it in a much smaller way – moves a guy up a couple spaces, a guy back a couple spaces. It’s rarely something that is unexpected.
“In our history, we moved one guy up in a macro way – where he moved up quite a bit – and it was a mistake.”

Wonder if this was Hickey, Teubert or Forbort.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't think I've ever been this interested in the draft as I have this year. Since we've been eliminated from the playoffs and found out we're drafting 5th overall seems like time is moving at the pace of a snail. My goodness get this thing started already.

I feel the same way, pretty excited for this draft tomorrow.

But I still am not sold on the WHL centers and that is who I assume the Kings will end up with, hope I'm wrong but I have set myself up to be disappointed.

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I feel the same way, pretty excited for this draft tomorrow.

But I still am not sold on the WHL centers and that is who I assume the Kings will end up with, hope I'm wrong but I have set myself up to be disappointed.

Yes absolutely agree with you on Dach and Cozens assuming those are the two you're referring to. If we get Byram or Turcotte or even Zegras I would be ecstatic. But as we all know the draft never goes according to rankings or expert mock drafts so who knows who we'll end up with. Anticipation is what's eating me up.

Reactions: Nodoughtyboutit

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I highly doubt Clifford is going anywhere after a career year. It might be his highest trade value but he means to much to management. Hes here till trade deadline imo

I don't see him being moved but given the amount of teams that feel in the playoffs and claimed they needed more grit, his value should be at a peak right now. Would be wise to shop him now but I do not see it

Reactions: Jungle Boy

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
From my short time watching Kupari I think he's a tremendously gifted puck skill player who has excellent speed. I feel like what will determine if and how that translates to success in the NHL will come down to learning how to discipline himself in the use of those puck skills. If he tries to use allot of that flashy pond hockey stuff to "show his stuff" he's not going to be very effective. That won't work at this level, these players are too good and he wont succeed IMO if he does. He cant overdo that stuff. He's already proven he's good enough to be in the NHL now he needs to figure out how and when to spot use that where the opportunity comes to him and keep his game simple. I got a feeling he's going to have to be coached to be patient and disciplined but if he does master it then he has a very high ceiling.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Although it sucks that we dropped down and are having our fate determined by Chicago and Colorado, given how much more important this draft is to us. The fact that we are likely going to walk away with either Turcotte, Byram, or Dach makes me a little more at ease about the situation. Any one of those are going to be a very good prospect for us. I just don't see the Kings doing anything cute with their 5th which makes me feel good no matter what happens.

What can we expect from the Kings as offseason reaches a...

Yanetti on the combine and interview process.

Wonder if this was Hickey, Teubert or Forbort.

That has to be Teubert. I remember some of the comments they made about his combine that was on the lines to him being a physical freak-of-nature. At the very least, Hickey and Forbort turned into serviceable defensemen. I have a feeling that Forbort is staying around a bit more than people predict as well. But Teubert was a very crazy pick. In my opinion, it was crazier than Hickey's. They knew he was neither the BPA nor did he even have that high of a ceiling, but they took him purely on need/want and enforcing their team dynamic. As much as I was baffled by the Hickey pick, I remember cringing hard when they took Teubert, I thought for sure we were picking Myers in that spot.

I highly doubt Clifford is going anywhere after a career year. It might be his highest trade value but he means to much to management. Hes here till trade deadline imo

I've been one of Clifford's harshest critics around here. I don't like his game, fighting abilities, or his IQ of the game; however, I've become to love him as a person and do agree with the organization that he's been invaluable as a culture changer. My stance on him has softened over time, and I think that as much as I want to deal him now and just walk away with the assets, he is probably more valuable remaining on the team and leading the bottom 6 and showing the new kids how to be pros. He is someone who has sacrificed everything for the team. He's literally held nothing back. I value him now as much as I do Dustin Brown. If there is anyone that deserves to remain on the team and lead the kids to the next era of Kings hockey, it's him. I think he is already a lock to have a job within the organization after he retires. I doubt they're prepared to move him whatsoever.

Reactions: lumbergh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad