Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
On the TSN mock Draft, Craig Button has the Kings taking Bowen Byram at 5th and Cam York at 22nd. Thoughts?
I would love if we drafted Byram if Turcotte is gone, but I just cant see the Kings drafting back to back defenceman. Hoven said he see the Kings drafting 2 forwards and 1 defenceman in the first 3 picks.
After Byram I'd imagine we'd take a forward. Maybe a McMichael or Leason.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Same source as I have had over the past few decades. Sorry as I said that I won't go further then that. Take it for what it is worth.

The Hawks at the combines sure spent allot of time talking all things BByrum. I see them taking him at 3rd overall. In fact I will be very much surprised if they don't.

After that it is a case of horses for courses. Lot's of highly skilled kids with equal amount of talent but different approaches. It will be interesting to see how our pick goes down. I think Turcotte will be there at 5. I could see us taking someone other than him.

Avs take Dach at 4rth. Too good of a fit for them to pass up on imo. All of that said, I totally trust our scouting dept and know that they will have the right player targeted. To me the big question is will Blake listen to them and make the selection that they recommend most or will he go with his gut again. I hope he listens to the crew. They are all over this draft and will get us the BPA given the chance.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Same source as I have had over the past few decades. Sorry as I said that I won't go further then that. Take it for what it is worth.

The Hawks at the combines sure spent allot of time talking all things BByrum. I see them taking him at 3rd overall. In fact I will be very much surprised if they don't.

After that it is a case of horses for courses. Lot's of highly skilled kids with equal amount of talent but different approaches. It will be interesting to see how our pick goes down. I think Turcotte will be there at 5. I could see us taking someone other than him.

Avs take Dach at 4rth. Too good of a fit for them to pass up on imo. All of that said, I totally trust our scouting dept and know that they will have the right player targeted. To me the big question is will Blake listen to them and make the selection that they recommend most or will he go with his gut again. I hope he listens to the crew. They are all over this draft and will get us the BPA given the chance.

If Byram is gone at #3, do you see LA taking Detroit's offer if their guy is there?

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
I personally do. I think that if BB and KD are gone then we would be crazy to pass up a deal like that. If BB drops to 5th (i don't see it) then we would be crazy not to take him regardless of what Detroit had to offer (almost).

I still say that it would be great to see ColeC in a kings uni lighting up the scoreboard but Cozens and Turcotte would both be crazy good for us. This draft is one of the best in a long time. Top ten picks all look like locks to make the NHL. After that it is on them.

Reactions: LAKings88

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Any idea of who the prospect is? if its Zadina or Rasmussen I don't flinch and take the trade but i think the prospect is the key to the deal. Btw great seeing u back TG you were missed on the board more then I have words to say. A voice of reason goes a long way in here.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Thanks for that KC.

I still have no idea what the conditional is but I wonder if it will be a significant one. I have also heard rumors that have Vancouver desperate to move up as high as they can get. They have a great young group and are missing two pieces to put their core together with. I can see them getting into the mix too.

I would like to see us get another 2nd. I have said it before but I think that we could snag GREWE and get a very good Kings style player. We talked to him so here is hoping.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Curious if Hawks take Byram at #3 with also having intention of signing Gustafsson to extension would the Kings have interest in trading #5 for Boqvist?

You guys walk away with young RHD top prospect who probably breaks into NHL in 2020-21 season though cant rule out this coming season

Hawks then can grab Cozen or Dach thus walking away with LHD heir for Keith and a C for future

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Curious if Hawks take Byram at #3 with also having intention of signing Gustafsson to extension would the Kings have interest in trading #5 for Boqvist?

You guys walk away with young RHD top prospect who probably breaks into NHL in 2020-21 season though cant rule out this coming season

Hawks then can grab Cozen or Dach thus walking away with LHD heir for Keith and a C for future
Hell no for this fan Kings will end up with a high end forward if Byram is picked ahead of 5

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

Assuming the Avs take Turcotte? It wouldn't be a bad move but it depends on if the scouts believe he's better than what is available. From what I've read, the Kings board is below...

Turcotte
Byram
Dach
Zegras

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Assuming the Avs take Turcotte? It wouldn't be a bad move but it depends on if the scouts believe he's better than what is available. From what I've read, the Kings board is below...

Turcotte
Byram
Dach
Zegras
I think Hawks probably would have to add a little.
But then again, if the Hawks go this route, I would think they will look for a guy who can play immediately, not a draft pick.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I can't get a solid read on Avs' Alan Hepple, but from my understanding\interpretation of his interview, Hawks are sending signals that they are leaning Byram. Heavy scouting in playoffs and extra attention at the combine, etc...

Also:
I think Byram is also #1 on the Avs list and if not available then they are looking at Dach\Turcotte, possibly Cozens. Zegras not in the mix for them at 4. Sakic will make final call.
I can see Turcotte\Dach going either way to Avs or Kings.

I would be surprised if Byram falls to 5.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Those two would be solid. At 22 I think it’s BPA. I do think LA goes with two forwards depending on how things unfold. I think York is underrated but he did play with a stacked group.

I think it's a stretch for him to think York will be there are #22. I expect him to go 15-20. If he is then I would have no problem regardless of who we have drafted already. I think some forwards are going to fall because I expect teams to have a run on Dmen before we leave the top 20. Would not be surprised to see Harley, Seider, York, Broberg, Soderstrom, Heinola and Bjornfort all gone by our next pick. If that happens, then you are looking at guys like Vlasic, Thomson, Robertson and Johnson. None of those guys are inspiring at #22.

Last edited:

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I really like Pronman but his mock drafts suck because he never really takes a position on it. Love his analysis but this is typical for him in his final mock:

1. Chicago: Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver-WHL
I’m pretty sure my mock will come apart at this pick because I have not been able to nail down Chicago’s preference at all. I’ve heard from sources who say it will for sure be Byram, sources who say it will for sure be Alex Turcotte and the same for Kirby Dach.
  1. Colorado: Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP-USHL
The buzz coming out of Colorado is the Avs want to add a top center talent into their organization. They are high on Turcotte and I believe, if Byram goes No. 3, Turcotte’s their guy. If Turcotte goes No. 3, though, I don’t think it’s a guarantee they select Byram, even if that would be the guy I slot to them. I’ve heard they are very high on Dach and Trevor Zegras.
  1. Los Angeles: Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon-WHL
I have heard Dach and Dylan Cozens as the players the Kings are debating. I think it will be Dach for the upside, but sources are split on which of the two will be the pick for L.A.

At #22
  1. Los Angeles: Bobby Brink, RW, Sioux City-USHL
Brink to the Kings was speculated by some other teams. It would be a pick against their typical drafting tendencies for size, though.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I really like Pronman but his mock drafts suck because he never really takes a position on it. Love his analysis but this is typical for him in his final mock:

1. Chicago: Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver-WHL
I’m pretty sure my mock will come apart at this pick because I have not been able to nail down Chicago’s preference at all. I’ve heard from sources who say it will for sure be Byram, sources who say it will for sure be Alex Turcotte and the same for Kirby Dach.
  1. Colorado: Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP-USHL
The buzz coming out of Colorado is the Avs want to add a top center talent into their organization. They are high on Turcotte and I believe, if Byram goes No. 3, Turcotte’s their guy. If Turcotte goes No. 3, though, I don’t think it’s a guarantee they select Byram, even if that would be the guy I slot to them. I’ve heard they are very high on Dach and Trevor Zegras.
  1. Los Angeles: Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon-WHL
I have heard Dach and Dylan Cozens as the players the Kings are debating. I think it will be Dach for the upside, but sources are split on which of the two will be the pick for L.A.

At #22
  1. Los Angeles: Bobby Brink, RW, Sioux City-USHL
Brink to the Kings was speculated by some other teams. It would be a pick against their typical drafting tendencies for size, though.
I like that he throws in some rumors honestly.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
After Byram I'd imagine we'd take a forward. Maybe a McMichael or Leason.

I believe that both of those guys are going to be there later than #22. They aren't projected first rounders. If we are looking at scoring just going by the chalk line and if players like Kaliyev and Newhook don't magically slide to us here, the guys who are likely to be there and check the boxes are:

Lavoie(Top 6 skillset, speed, hands, size)
Tomasino(Projects as a Top 6 Forward, excellent skater)
Brink(I'm not a fan but he has scoring talent that can't be ignored)
Suzuki(Playmaker, considered a value late in first round)

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

Thanks again TG

Always appreciate your insight.

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

No thanks.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Anyone want to dig a little deeper and go after the #33 pick? I really like Beecher if he is there. Here is his McKeen's analysis:

On a USNTDP team long on skill and short on size, especially up front, Beecher
was the policeman for much of the year. His inherent skills were held in check
as he provided bodily force, sometimes violent bodily force.
Certain aspects of his game were clearly better than the bottom six type role
he had assumed. Most noticeably, his skating. Not only was he a good skater for
a 6-3”, nearly 210-pound teenager, but his speed was better than many players
four inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter. When he has clear ice in front of him,
he eats it up.

As this season progressed, Beecher became more comfortable using his speed
to create scoring chances. As few players at this level could contain a player of
his size going that fast, he would be less hesitant in taking the puck right to the
goalmouth. The more he did that, the more he showed patience with the puck,
waiting for the goaltender to make a move first before skating around him or
flipping the puck over him. He also showed that his hands work very well in
tight, opening up more ways for him to help his team.
While there are some players of Beecher’s general size who are plus skaters,
many are limited to straight lines. In Beecher’s case, he can play with some
shake and bake as well. He has incredible puck protection abilities as well,
making it exceptionally difficult for opposing defenders to force turnovers from
him.

Like many of his teammates on the program, Beecher is a high IQ player. He is
advanced at reading the play and handles situations appropriately. He sells out
his body on defense to shut down a play or block a shot.
Offensively, the game reading ability leads to him recognizing when space
opens up underneath the defense and being able to attack that space,
increasing the potency of a scoring threat. Between his size and his balance,
he likes to play in front of the opposing goaltender, where he can be near
impossible to dislodge.

As much as his skill game has come on in the last few months, Beecher first
came to scouting prominence as a physical threat. He knows that his biggest
advantage over opponents has always been his physicality and he plays with
that always in the forefront of his mind. He is a bear against the boards, and
those who have tried to play heavy with him have quickly felt his wrath. The
USHL is not a fighting league but provoking him is not really a wise idea. He
sticks up for his teammates and for himself and I expect him to do so more
forcefully at the next level.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Anyone want to dig a little deeper and go after the #33 pick? I really like Beecher if he is there. Here is his McKeen's analysis:

On a USNTDP team long on skill and short on size, especially up front, Beecher
was the policeman for much of the year. His inherent skills were held in check
as he provided bodily force, sometimes violent bodily force.
Certain aspects of his game were clearly better than the bottom six type role
he had assumed. Most noticeably, his skating. Not only was he a good skater for
a 6-3”, nearly 210-pound teenager, but his speed was better than many players
four inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter. When he has clear ice in front of him,
he eats it up.

As this season progressed, Beecher became more comfortable using his speed
to create scoring chances. As few players at this level could contain a player of
his size going that fast, he would be less hesitant in taking the puck right to the
goalmouth. The more he did that, the more he showed patience with the puck,
waiting for the goaltender to make a move first before skating around him or
flipping the puck over him. He also showed that his hands work very well in
tight, opening up more ways for him to help his team.
While there are some players of Beecher’s general size who are plus skaters,
many are limited to straight lines. In Beecher’s case, he can play with some
shake and bake as well. He has incredible puck protection abilities as well,
making it exceptionally difficult for opposing defenders to force turnovers from
him.

Like many of his teammates on the program, Beecher is a high IQ player. He is
advanced at reading the play and handles situations appropriately. He sells out
his body on defense to shut down a play or block a shot.
Offensively, the game reading ability leads to him recognizing when space
opens up underneath the defense and being able to attack that space,
increasing the potency of a scoring threat. Between his size and his balance,
he likes to play in front of the opposing goaltender, where he can be near
impossible to dislodge.

As much as his skill game has come on in the last few months, Beecher first
came to scouting prominence as a physical threat. He knows that his biggest
advantage over opponents has always been his physicality and he plays with
that always in the forefront of his mind. He is a bear against the boards, and
those who have tried to play heavy with him have quickly felt his wrath. The
USHL is not a fighting league but provoking him is not really a wise idea. He
sticks up for his teammates and for himself and I expect him to do so more
forcefully at the next level.
I like Beecher. Size and speed. Could be good 3rd line center one day. Lots to choose from at that spot. Most likely a first round faller. Grewe is intriguing too.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad