Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
You pick the best player that will help the most to win hockey games, which is why I want Byram over Boldy to begin with if he's there. Byram doesnt score more goals for your team he helps you WIN more games. So looking at the best of the rest after Byram's gone then Boldy is the guy because he the best of everything else and he's a fast big dude who will assert himself and his sizeable skill. Others will probably score more goals individually but overall with assists he's going to elevate your offense and your team if he reaches his peak potential. Some of this is really incredible AND he's a big fast dude.

From Mayors sources::::::::::::

""""""""""""""""Our sources indicate the two others highly sought after by LA will be Matthew Boldy and Thomas Harley. Of all the guys on that Team USA squad, the player furthest from his potential is Boldy. In three years, he’ll most likely have the body to play more of a power game. On the down side, he had a tendency to let the game come to him. When he was going, he was a first line player producing ‘A’ games. When he was off, those were ‘C’ games. By contrast, Turcotte was almost exclusively ‘A’ games, with the occasional ‘B+’ performance."""""""""""""""

This means, the Kings scouting staff feels that of all the USA Team players, Boldy is furthest from his potential - meaning they SEE his potential as VERY HIGH and that's not a negative. They can tell he has real talent and the TOOLS to get to a higher level...consider Boldy was 5'10" 180 a year ago and now 6'2" 195. He will probably be 6'3" 210 when he enters the NHL. and a great skater at that size, will be a force. That's a lot of growth and he still has superb edgework and make what they call 'violent cuts'. He's big, physical, has good vision, makes plays, is nails, is said to be the best corner player in the draft...perhaps the best 200 foot player in the draft, right there with Turcotte...and can play center as well...it was said he was most defensively responsible of his line and always back checked.

It's easy for you to chime, "he's not top echelon, but a good player at 10-15"....No, he's right there with the best players of this draft and right there after Hughes and Kakko and
in that 3-10 mix. Please tell me how any of Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Krebs, are clearly the better player, than Matthew Boldy. You can't. It's opinion.

Not surprised KP sees him as #6 best. KP has put more time in the draft analysis than anyone on this board. Regulate always is in the Know and says the Kings love Boldy...as is TG.
You cannot lower Boldy's ranking because he plays LW. He can play center as well...You'll have a complete player, that is a top tier talent, playing 200 feet and probably
scoring 30 goals every year at LW....No telling if Dach will even be a #1 center...or a #2 center. The only centers in this draft that are better overall players than Boldy are Hughes and
Turcotte. Yes, when equal players, take the center. But Boldy may be the BPA and you take him, if you deem him BPA. He can play center, for that matter...he has great vision and
playmaking ability...and surely skates better than Dach. Kakko is a wing and not being penalyzed, because he plays wing. You've all been reading too many analysts calling Boldy an 9-13 pick...seems like the Kings and pros think otherwise.

Reactions: RocketKing

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Kakko isn't being penalized because he's shown ability to play against men and succeed and is NHL ready and has lots of skill to boot. Can't compare there. LA likes Boldy, I don't doubt, but they don't like him at #5. I've spoken to John about this and LA's list is. 1. Turcotte 2. Byram 3a. Zegras 3b. Dach 4. Boldy most likely.

In the end you may be right and quote back on this thread and you calling it, may not. It's a crap-shoot, however you have to play what you think are the best odds to succeed in 2 years. Seems LA sees other players ahead of him.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Kakko isn't being penalized because he's shown ability to play against men and succeed and is NHL ready and has lots of skill to boot. Can't compare there. LA likes Boldy, I don't doubt, but they don't like him at #5. I've spoken to John about this and LA's list is. 1. Turcotte 2. Byram 3a. Zegras 3b. Dach 4. Boldy most likely.

In the end you may be right and quote back on this thread and you calling it, may not. It's a crap-shoot, however you have to play what you think are the best odds to succeed in 2 years. Seems LA sees other players ahead of him.

Thanks for your response. I hope the Kings can move 22 and something to get up 8-15 and get one of Boldy and Newhook as well. This draft can get LA make in hunt in 3 years. And certainly, if Vilardi is playing within a year from now. Prospects like Kupari, JAD, Mikey Anderson, Clague, Cal Petersen are very good prospects...and Durzi, Thomas, Sodergran may well emerge into players. Hults is even emerging as a good prospect. If they could add Byram and Boldy or Newhook...this may be a very good team in 3 years.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Thanks for your response. I hope the Kings can move 22 and something to get up 8-15 and get one of Boldy and Newhook as well. This draft can get LA make in hunt in 3 years. And certainly, if Vilardi is playing within a year from now. Prospects like Kupari, JAD, Mikey Anderson, Clague, Cal Petersen are very good prospects...and Durzi, Thomas, Sodergran may well emerge into players. Hults is even emerging as a good prospect. If they could add Byram and Boldy or Newhook...this may be a very good team in 3 years.

I enjoy your posts. I’m not as passionate about players and see this just as an interchangeable parts business so I may not be as invested in a particular player. I agree that I would really like to see the Kings get into the 10-15 range because I would rather have two guys who are impact level and there are more choices there than at #22 and #33. I don’t see this tremendous gap in players from 5-15. This is basically what will be there from 5-15 and these guys all have high skill sets:

Dach
Zegras
Boldy
Caufield
Newhook
Krebs
Cozens
Podkolzin
Kaliyev
Soderstrom
York

No matter what side of the fence you sit on, there is no way to argue that if you can get 2 players out of this grouping you get a “A” for the draft in terms of injecting high level talent into your system.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Being in Denver since 2006, (I was in LA still to see Kopitar's first rookie camp, when he had YELLOW hair in 2005? and was there through 2005-06 season and gave up my row 2 seats in 210) and go to 4-5 AVS game a year - the 2 LA play here....and have NEVER been an AVs fan, but have not hated on them...this was the first year, I decided to root for them for the Cup. Why should I root for the Blues, Bruins, etc...this is my home...not MY TEAM, but have decided I would choose them over the Sharks, LV, etc...But will only want them to win, if the Kings are not in playoffs.

A rep at the AVs game called me after a game and thanked me for coming (I do not know how they had my info, other than buying seats at their box office??) and we talked some...they now are sending me invite to their draft party....LOL...or a casual one at a bar downtown and some of their people will be there...I'm thinking, why not go? Wear my Kings hat...LOL. And wil at least be a great hockey atmosphere...and I will be the only one cheering, when the Kings call out 'from the USA National Team, the Kings select, Alex Turcotte" I may as well go and not watch from home.

"""Get exclusive coverage and an in-depth look at the 2019 NHL Draft this Friday at Blake Street Tavern! Join Altitude Sports Radio 92.5FM Marc Moser, with Raj and Springer, live from 6 – 9pm for the Avalanche NHL Draft Show! The ColoradoAvalanche holds picks #4 and #16 in the first round of the 2019 NHL Draft. You don’t want to miss it!"""

If the Avs get Byram at 4 and Newhook at 16, I will be pissed! Or more jealous.

Last edited:

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
I'm not sure what LA has to get into that 8-13 range for Boldy/Newhook. I don't think 22+33 are enough, or that LA is willing to do that. LA might be more likely to trade 33 and drop back a few spots in 2nd round.

Reactions: RocketKing

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I’m honestly fine with whoever they pick as long as it is t Cozens. He just screams Jake Virtanen to me, all the physical tools but not the toolbox. I’d be fine with him at 10+ but not at 5.

Cozens wouldnt have 50 assists without toolbox. He is certainly not a great passer but neither is Kopi. He has produced on every level. Cozen's physical tools and speed are used against him to compare him with bottom forwards like Virtanen with only those two tools.

Virtanen had one great season and that was exactly his draft year.

I would say Cozens is a more physical Carter.

Another fan favorite here on HF...but in the end Carter was always visible on the scoreboard.

Last edited:

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Cozens wouldnt have 50 assists without toolbox. He is certainly not a great passer but neither is Kopi. He has produced on every level. Cozen's physical tools and speed are used against him to compare him with bottom forwards like Virtanen with only those two tools.

Virtanen had one great season and that was exactly his draft year.

I would say Cozens is a more physical Carter.

Another fan favorite here on HF...but in the end Carter was always visible on the scoreboard.
Cozens has skill, but I think he's lacks the on ice smarts. I asked John (Mayors Manor) if what I noticed from watching was what he believes/heard from scouts and he agreed, that cozens has the skill, but scouts believe he lacks the hockey IQ a Kirby Dach/Trevor Zegras possess.

Reactions: regulate

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Cozens has skill, but I think he's lacks the on ice smarts. I asked John (Mayors Manor) if what I noticed from watching was what he believes/heard from scouts and he agreed, that cozens has the skill, but scouts believe he lacks the hockey IQ a Kirby Dach/Trevor Zegras possess.
Yes and you can only hope Dach and Zegras will ever score more than 25 goals on the highest level.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

I agree. I really don't care for what is assumed to be available at 22. 10-15 seems like a very nice tier. I just don't want to give up 33 to get there. Apparently TT, 22 and parts won't get is there either.
I'm a sad panda.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Yes and you can only hope Dach and Zegras will ever score more than 25 goals on the highest level.
I can more than hope Dach scores more than 25. One of the best shots just doesn't use it. Not getting top 2 was a blow yet honestly indifferent about 3-5 as I'd take Dach over Turcotte on any team that isn't ours pretty much. I was also the first on this board pumping Turcotte and from before the start of the year. If we walk with Dach there is 0 to be disappointed about while Byram would be huge and Turcotte the perfect fit for our need. Dach's upside is a fair step above's Turcotte yet the latter is guaranteed to wear a letter sooner rather than later and seems like our leadership could use a change.

Glad I don't have half the people here arguing for Cozen's IQ anymore. I preached that also from the start of the year and seeing all scouts and services follow suit now.

Losing the top 2 sucks yet was mathematically less than likely we remained there. From there we still are lucky we have a draft where at 5 we may well have a chance to walk with the best player in the draft still similar to E. Pettersson recently.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Cozens could end up being a better version of Dustin Brown. Faster, more skilled probably less aggressive but just as engaged. Good on the PK, 200 foot player. Shot first mentality, goes to the dirty areas, hard on the fore check, protects the puck well. Very coachable, a leader.

Won't be surprised that at the NHL level, Cozen could end up being an excellent 1 line RW.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Perhaps we can pick up Brayden Tracey with the 33rd overall.

That is why i am against trading up unless a guy like Newhook or Kaliyev drops.

A lot of potential gems late 1st, early 2nd round. You just have to pick the right one (Simmonds, Pastrnak, Giroux, Perry, Aho etc etc). We have two chances for that (22nd and 33rd).

Reactions: LAKings88

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I hope we keep #33 and Alex Vlasic is still available there. Likely a stretch that he is, but I think he would be a fantastic addition to our D depth chart

I really don’t think the Kings need anymore defense prospects, unless it is a top pairing guy like Byram. With Anderson, Clague, Durzi, Phillips, Brickley, Roy, Walker, LaDue, Moverare, and Hults, we have a lot of guys that can play on the second or third pair, not to mention Martinez, Forbort, and outside help.

We have a lot of second-, third-, and fourth-line guys too: Anderson-Dolan, Grundstrom, Wagner, Kempe, Thomas, Luff, Sodergran, Prokhorkin, maybe even Lizotte.

Outside of Vilardi and Kupari (and if I was a betting man, I wouldn’t put money on Kupari), we don’t have any first-line-potential kind of guys.

I would do everything possible to get another pick in the top 12. Getting a Byram, Turcotte, Zegras, or Dach in addition to a Caufield, Boldy, or Podkolzin would be a huge, huge victory. Even if we have to trade a guy like Clague, Toffoli, or Martinez plus the 22 and 33 picks. Top line talent on rookie and bridge contracts are worth their weight in gold.

As an aside, I thought this quote was funny:

Treliving: I remember years ago, when I was in Phoenix, Kyle Clifford went No. 35. The guy we drafted next was a guy by the name of Chris Brown. We wanted (Clifford) in the spot. We had the pick later. … I don’t get hopeful anymore. Usually, more often than not, your dreams are dashed.

From The Athletic: Execs unplugged: Behind the scenes on the NHL Draft floor

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
A Mega Bonus this weekend would be the Kings staff leaving Vancouver Saturday evening, with at least 1 of these 4 jettisoned outta here: Carter, Lewis, Toffoli, Forbort. Martinez, only if it's a good deal.

Reactions: Jungle Boy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->