Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If the Kings can get a second top 10 pick and manage to keep #22 in the process, I would be ecstatic. It would be a shame not to leave this draft with, at the very least, a top-line forward and a top-four defenseman. Byram and Caufield would be a hell of a haul, plus a guy like Seider and Pelletier.

5: Byram
8: Caufield
22: Seider
33: Pelletier

Kempe - Kopitar - Caufield
Pelletier - Vilardi - Kupari
Grundstrom - Anderson-Dolan - Brown
Wagner - Thomas - Luff

Byram - Doughty
Anderson - Seider
Clague - Durzi

Petersen
Villalta

I can’t wait for none of this to happen!

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
I thought Byram would drop to five and that Chi and Col would take forwards.

I’m highly skeptical now. I’m guessing LA takes Dach.
Why are you skeptical? Both scouting departments have stated they are taking a center? Did something about that change, or do you think it’s just a smokescreen?

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The Kings would have to trade #22 and #33 to move into 10-15 and I don't think it will even get them into the Top 10. Teams do weird things on draft day so nothing is off the table but I would be surprised. I would trade #22 and #33 in a second if it put us in a position to draft Caufield, Zegras or Newhook.

They could package #22 and something else possibly if they wanted to move up a few spots for the right player. Maybe #64 and #22 could get them into the #16-#18 position. A lot of these deals are quickly done if the right player is there and conversations have been in place with certain teams to define who they are taking and if the Kings want another player those teams are not interested in. It's a bit of a gentleman's handshake in that situation.

Kings will take Byram, Turcotte or Dach at #5. I don't think they move out of that position unless someone blows them away.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonellisghost

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Isn't next year also laden with Centers at the Top of the draft as well? And it is D light.

Byram would be a nice get this year , if not him well I won't rehash on the guy I hope the draft :)

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
If we ended up with Byram and York it would be a really great draft. I got a feeling though that something big unexpected will happen like Col trading out of the 4th spot and a big reach or two. Allot of dealing is going on it’s going to be a wild ride IMO.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
If we ended up with Byram and York it would be a really great draft. I got a feeling though that something big unexpected will happen like Col trading out of the 4th spot and a big reach or two. Allot of dealing is going on it’s going to be a wild ride IMO.
I don't see COL trading back, not sure what team would want to get to 4 that badly and it seems like COL likes the big center in Dach like LA does. I think Byram is LA's first choice, then one of Dach/Zegras who's left if Byram is gone. I personally like Zegras if not Byram or Turcotte.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Chi will take Byrum at 3.

He is simply that good and the best player available. I can't see them passing on him.

I believe that Dach will be gone at 4 with the Avs.

That leaves us with a big choice.

Turcotte is exceptionally good and should turn out to be a solid 2nd line center. Do we want to use the 5 pick for a 2nd line center is the question.

Cozen is a big guy who plays a solid 200ft game and can be a gritty scorer power forward top 6er given time.

Trevor Z has really high end potential but he is a bit of a question mark on rather or not he will be able to matriculate to the NHL and maintain his skill level.

Finally Cole Caughield. He is the best scorer in the draft imo. He can skate as good as Hughes and a more natural scorer than Kaako. His problem is that he is 5'7" and a slight 5' 7" at that. Standing next to him you think your standing next to a 14 year old. But his resolve and determination remind me of Theo Fluery. That elite level of compete that you only see in the best players. His hips are the best in the draft (as has been noted) and his sight tracking is just as good. If he were 2" taller he would go in the top 3 without any question. But he isn't and he won't which is why I am talking about our taking him at 5.

Of the players available at 5 I want to see us take Cole Caughield. I don't have the pressure of being GM and making the right choices or it is my ass but CC is who I would take given the chance. Ridiculously high risk with an even higher reward.

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Chi will take Byrum at 5.

He is simply that good and the best player available. I can't see them passing on him.

Turcotte is exceptionally good and should turn out to be a solid 2nd line center. Do we want to use the 5 pick for a 2nd line center is the question.

Cozen is a big guy who plays a solid 200ft game and can be a gritty scorer power forward top 6er given time.

Trevor Z has really high end potential but he is a bit of a question mark on rather or not he will be able to matriculate to the NHL and maintain his skill level.

Finally Cole Caughield. He is the best scorer in the draft imo. He can skate as good as Hughes and a more natural scorer than Kaako. His problem is that he is 5'7" and a slight 5' 7" at that. Standing next to him you think your standing next to a 14 year old. But his resolve and determination remind me of Theo Fluery. That elite level of compete that you only see in the best players. His hips are the best in the draft (as has been noted) and his sight tracking is just as good. If he were 2" taller he would go in the top 3 without any question. But he isn't and he won't which is why I am talking about our taking him at 5.

Of the players available at 5 I want to see us take Cole Caughield. I don't have the pressure of being GM and making the right choices or it is my ass but CC is who I would take given the chance. Ridiculously high risk with an even higher reward.
I have a feeling Caufield will make a few gms regret not taking him.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I have a feeling Caufield will make a few gms regret not taking him.

Chi will take Byrum at 5.

Caufield told the Hawks in the combine interview, if you pass on him (Turcotte) you'll regret it.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
The Kings would have to trade #22 and #33 to move into 10-15 and I don't think it will even get them into the Top 10. Teams do weird things on draft day so nothing is off the table but I would be surprised. I would trade #22 and #33 in a second if it put us in a position to draft Caufield, Zegras or Newhook.

They could package #22 and something else possibly if they wanted to move up a few spots for the right player. Maybe #64 and #22 could get them into the #16-#18 position. A lot of these deals are quickly done if the right player is there and conversations have been in place with certain teams to define who they are taking and if the Kings want another player those teams are not interested in. It's a bit of a gentleman's handshake in that situation.

Kings will take Byram, Turcotte or Dach at #5. I don't think they move out of that position unless someone blows them away.

I'd look into trading with Vancouver for something along the lines of the 22 and Toffoli.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I'd look into trading with Vancouver for something along the lines of the 22 and Toffoli.

That's not enough to get to #10. If TT still was scoring 20+ goals, maybe. Florida at 13 and MTL at 15 may be better trading partners. Would be good to have a
few deals in place in advance, 'contingent the player we want is there' .

A deal I would love to see::: Carter + #95 overall for a 7th rounder.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
There is no way Toffoli takes us from #22 to #10. I actually think he will bounce back, but his trade value has completely tanked. Even at his trade value peak, it’s a trade the Canucks would be dumb to make.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Detroit has offered their 6th overall + a 2nd round pick and a conditional (I haven't heard yet what the additional pick is but I have also heard a prospect would be involved) to move up one spot to #5 providing their player is still available.

I wonder who "their player" is? By the way take it for what it is. I don't have a source. Sorry about that.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Detroit has offered their 6th overall + a 2nd round pick and a conditional (I haven't heard yet what the additional pick is but I have also heard a prospect would be involved) to move up one spot to #5 providing their player is still available.

I wonder who "their player" is? By the way take it for what it is. I don't have a source. Sorry about that.

I would do this, if the Kings have the top 6 close...and try to work a deal to move #22 and #33 (but try with the Det 2nd) to get up into 13-15.
13-15 one of Krebs, Boldy, Newhook, or Kaliyev would be there. (or possibly if they like Soderstrom or Harley) Would like Tomasino at 22 or possibly Brink, but too hard to tell if they would be there.
But if the Kings knew that a player they coveted (that won't be around at 22) in the 13-15 range, try to get there and if 22 and 33 could do it, they could still
have a Red Wings 2nd.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
I would do this, if the Kings have the top 6 close...and try to work a deal to move #22 and #33 (but try with the Det 2nd) to get up into 13-15.
13-15 one of Krebs, Boldy, Newhook, or Kaliyev would be there. (or possibly if they like Soderstrom or Harley) Would like Tomasino at 22 or possibly Brink, but too hard to tell if they would be there.
But if the Kings knew that a player they coveted (that won't be around at 22) in the 13-15 range, try to get there and if 22 and 33 could do it, they could still
have a Red Wings 2nd.

Yes, excellent.

I have another player who I think will be an exceptional 2/3rd liner and wanted your opinion on him. He is Grewe. Goovy. The kid has everything but a great shot or he would be a top 6er for certain imo. His game is allot like Grndstrom's but with allot more edge and grit. The guy is a front of the net guru and you can't move him without extreme effort. He would be my 2nd round pick for certain.

Do you have an opinion on the kid?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My mock draft 4.0: Using McKenzie's list as a crutch plus accounting Trouba trade

1st Round
------------
1. New Jersey - C Jack Hughes
2. NY Rangers - RW Kaapo Kakko
3. Chicago - C Alex Turcotte
4. Colorado (via Ottawa) - LD Bowen Byram
5. Los Angeles - C Kirby Dach
6. Detroit - C Dylan Cozens
7. Buffalo - C/LW Trevor Zegras
8. Edmonton - RW Cole Caufield
9. Anaheim - C Peyton Krebs
10. Vancouver - LW Matthew Boldy