Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Detroit has offered their 6th overall + a 2nd round pick and a conditional (I haven't heard yet what the additional pick is but I have also heard a prospect would be involved) to move up one spot to #5 providing their player is still available.

I wonder who "their player" is? By the way take it for what it is. I don't have a source. Sorry about that.

You would have to think there player is Byram . So let me get this right your saying a 6th a 2nd and a conditional pick or prospect for 5 th overall? If so I say we do it dach or zegras come on down.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Detroit has offered their 6th overall + a 2nd round pick and a conditional (I haven't heard yet what the additional pick is but I have also heard a prospect would be involved) to move up one spot to #5 providing their player is still available.

I wonder who "their player" is? By the way take it for what it is. I don't have a source. Sorry about that.
Gotta be Byram no?

Depends on the prospect but that to me signals more than anything that Byram will be there. I don’t think LA should pass on him.

Reactions: KINGS17

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That seems like a lot for Detroit to move 1 spot.

Sometimes you have to think of it more than a spot and base it on how a team values that particular player. In a perfect world you can move back and draft the guy you would have taken anyways.

There's a draft day video of Boston offering #5 and #37 in 2006 for #4, but Washington declined because they wanted Backstrom that badly over Kessel. Closest comp of a completed trade I could think of might be 1998 where San Jose dealt #2 (David Legwand) to Nashville for #3 (Brad Stuart) and #29 (Jonathan Cheechoo).

Reactions: KINGS17

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

That Ryan O'Reilly tidbit is interesting. Easy to say with hindsight, but I wonder if they could have gotten to him if they made #35 available.

Kings should have had #51 too, but they had to include it in the Justin Williams trade after Edmonton threw a hissy fit on their end of the three way trade. Maybe Clifford would have been available at #51? Although I vaguely recall that Clifford had the Milan Lucic "he didn't score much this year, but he will next year" buzz about him.

Last edited:

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
That seems like a lot for Detroit to move 1 spot.

If they were offering that to move up to #6, then they would offer it to move up to #5 and the Kings should explore that depending on which of the 3 2nd rounders it is. They have #35, #54 and #60. I highly doubt it is #35. You can then maybe package something to move up higher from #22.

Drop to #6 and take Zegras or Caufield.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think if that Detroit deal has any legs than it would probably have to come on draft day because if the guy they want is Turcotte or Byram and he's still there at 5 I don't think the Kings do that deal. But if both are gone and our options are Dach, Cozens or Zegras I think the Kings would do that deal because there probably isn't that much difference between the 3.

Reactions: tonellisghost

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017

If Detroit's player is Byram then I don't think it would be worth the gain of a 2nd round (which one) and another pic/prospect. If its not Byram then yeah I'd do it then try to package the 2 2nds and our 22 to see if we can get back into that top 10 and get a Boldy or something like that. If Byram is their then Blake should take him.

Reactions: LAKings88

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Yeah, I’d be interested to know if the prospect is someone currently in the AHL (Axel Holmstrom) or it is someone from their reserve list of prospects, maybe an Alec Regula (London - OHL) thought the kid had a pretty good year there and London is a talent factory for kids going to the next level. Hunter Bros. do a solid job there.

Kasper Kotkansalo (Boston U). That one is just spitballing as i’ve seen him maybe once on the TV and it could of been when he played in The Beanpot. Enjoy having the chance to watch US College Hockey.

Guess we’ll see what unfolds come Friday evening.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That Ryan O'Reilly tidbit is interesting. Easy to say with hindsight, but I wonder if they could have gotten to him if they made #35 available.

Kings should have had #51 too, but they had to include it in the Justin Williams trade after Edmonton threw a hissy fit on their end of the three way trade. Maybe Clifford would have been available at #51? Although I vaguely recall that Clifford had the Milan Lucic "he didn't score much this year, but he will next year" buzz about him.

Yeah, that was interesting if true. Sound like they were trying to do it without giving up pick 35, and the only way to move up was to include it. They'd probably have had to move 35 and 70 or whatever later. He went 2 picks before us.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Red Wings actually have 3x 2nd round picks (DET, NYI, SJS) so they have some ammo.

If Turcotte or Byram isn't there at 5 I would absolutely take that deal with Detroit, but I don't see why Detroit would.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
So pretty much one of these players will be available for us at #5:
Turcotte
Byram
Dach
Cozens
Zegras
Caufield
Krebs
Podkolzin

At this point I'll be happy with any one of these guys just hope the hockey gods finally give us a true top line player like Kopitar and not another 3rd liner. Just as long as the guy picked behind us don't become another all star HOFer. We've gone through that too many times.

CanadianKingsFan14

Jan 19, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
On the TSN mock Draft, Craig Button has the Kings taking Bowen Byram at 5th and Cam York at 22nd. Thoughts?
I would love if we drafted Byram if Turcotte is gone, but I just cant see the Kings drafting back to back defenceman. Hoven said he see the Kings drafting 2 forwards and 1 defenceman in the first 3 picks.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
On the TSN mock Draft, Craig Button has the Kings taking Bowen Byram at 5th and Cam York at 22nd. Thoughts?
I would love if we drafted Byram if Turcotte is gone, but I just cant see the Kings drafting back to back defenceman. Hoven said he see the Kings drafting 2 forwards and 1 defenceman in the first 3 picks.
Those two would be solid. At 22 I think it’s BPA. I do think LA goes with two forwards depending on how things unfold. I think York is underrated but he did play with a stacked group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad