Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not too sure, but it could be because of his chemistry with Granberg.

They played together a lot last season and Granberg is the best rightie on the team now with Pudas signing in the KHL and Berglund being loaned to Linkoping.
Interesting. Wonder what the minutes will be like. Will that line be getting top pairing minutes overall or will it be spread out amongst the pairings more. From the sounds of it the teams defense took a decent hit this off season. Him and Granberg playing legit first pairing minutes would be a 25-30% increase in ice time for them which is huge. It'll be interesting to see how they run it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Interesting. Wonder what the minutes will be like. Will that line be getting top pairing minutes overall or will it be spread out amongst the pairings more. From the sounds of it the teams defense took a decent hit this off season. Him and Granberg playing legit first pairing minutes would be a 25-30% increase in ice time for them which is huge. It'll be interesting to see how they run it.
They'll still play 7 Ds.
Just to point out before hearing about why he is not getting 25+ mins per night :laugh:

Anyhow, less than a week to SHL games start. We'll see soon enough. They took a expected hit on D, Pudas was never going to stay. At the same time they had the deepest D in the league last year. Not sure why Berglund left to be honest... Maybe because he was told to be behind Granberg.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They'll still play 7 Ds.
Just to point out before hearing about why he is not getting 25+ mins per night :laugh:

Anyhow, less than a week to SHL games start. We'll see soon enough. They took a expected hit on D, Pudas was never going to stay. At the same time they had the deepest D in the league last year. Not sure why Berglund left to be honest... Maybe because he was told to be behind Granberg.
I think he was planning on coming to NA this year and then Covid hit single got loaned wherever. Definitely not expecting 25 minutes a night. Just curious if he will get 20ish or more the 13-17 he got last year

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think he was planning on coming to NA this year and then Covid hit single got loaned wherever. Definitely not expecting 25 minutes a night. Just curious if he will get 20ish or more the 13-17 he got last year
It'll be up and down I guess. Good sign though that he was promoted from 2nd pair to 1st already after the first preseason game.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
There minutes will also be effected depending on the split of powerplay their units get, since PP1 has 5 forwards on it.

Should be an interesting year.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
You are probably right about that, it makes sense. I actually remember that he had in mind coming over already last year, at least before the season 18/19 I think he said he wanted to play one season and then go the NA. Problem then was the season was not great and he was never signed by the Oilers.

It is worth noting though that Linkoping, the team to which Berglund went, saw his signing as a big deal.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Not sure why Berglund left to be honest... Maybe because he was told to be behind Granberg.
He said he wanted to try something new, since he's born in the city and has been playing for Skellefteå since he was a kid.

The truth is most likely a mixture of that, higher salary, and the fact that our old assistant defensive coach and later head coach Bert Robertsson is the head coach for Linköping since last season, and Berglund seems to like his coaching style.

Reactions: McDNicks17 and LaGu

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He said he wanted to try something new, since he's born in the city and has been playing for Skellefteå since he was a kid.

The truth is most likely a mixture of that, higher salary, and the fact that our old assistant defensive coach and later head coach Bert Robertsson is the head coach for Linköping since last season, and Berglund seems to like his coaching style.
This isn't a bad thing, help prepare him a bit more for jumping across the pond to NA if he comes over.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Thanks!

You're watching skelleftea right? Or am I mixing you up with another poster?

I guess this year is a bit odd due to the pandemic though.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Thanks!

You're watching skelleftea right? Or am I mixing you up with another poster?
Yep. Watched every single home game live last season (except during two weeks in February where I had some kind of flu) and every away game on television.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Robertsson played for the Oilers back in 99/00. Pretty cool.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Wow, so many great things to take away from that play: the skating and hands to break out of his own zone, the vision and execution to complete the breakaway pass, and the ability to crash the net and score on the rebound. Edit: Or was that not him who jammed in the rebound?

I've really been warming up to the Broberg pick these past couple months. His play at camp and in the SHL preseason has been very encouraging and, after watching smooth-skating young d-men in Hughes, Makar, and Heiskanen dominate the playoffs, I'm beginning to see the value in having one of our own.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Wow, so many great things to take away from that play: the skating and hands to break out of his own zone, the vision and execution to complete the breakaway pass, and the ability to crash the net and score on the rebound. Edit: Or was that not him who jammed in the rebound?

I've really been warming up to the Broberg pick these past couple months. His play at camp and in the SHL preseason has been very encouraging and, after watching smooth-skating young d-men in Hughes, Makar, and Heiskanen dominate the playoffs, I'm beginning to see the value in having one of our own.
It seemed as if his team mate scored the goal. However, as you said, Broberg still drove the net after making the pass.

A lot of positives.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Damn...his puck skills were an issue at the draft. Not anymore.

This has always confused me a bit. He was a forward until he was a teenager wasn't he? Usually the guys who start at forward and end up as dmen have really good pucks skills. Maybe there is some survivorship bias there though. I suppose its also possible he got moved from forward to D *because* his puck skills weren't good enough to be a high-end forward.

At any point, I've always been a little confused about how this could be the case. Hopefully he is able to have enough offensive IQ and puck skills to be a "new NHL" dman.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This has always confused me a bit. He was a forward until he was a teenager wasn't he? Usually the guys who start at forward and end up as dmen have really good pucks skills. Maybe there is some survivorship bias there though. I suppose its also possible he got moved from forward to D *because* his puck skills weren't good enough to be a high-end forward.

At any point, I've always been a little confused about how this could be the case. Hopefully he is able to have enough offensive IQ and puck skills to be a "new NHL" dman.

That’s what I assumed. Or that he would be more valuable as a defender with his skill set and height.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I honestly think he was like 10 years old when he changed from fwd to d. I seem to remember because that meant more playing time.

Edit: found the clip, he was 12 years old (in summer camp) and it was to play more.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Speed, stick handling, vision all on full display there.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
*Broberg in zone* - okay nice skating
*Broberg zone exit* okay, skates it out, Nurse does this plenty
*Broberg transitioning* ok, see Nurse do this lots
*Broberg with a sweet heads-up feed to spring the breakaway*

SoupyCarelessKagu-size_restricted.gif

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020

Beautiful.

The most impressive part of this play is the pass he makes after out skating one defender and deking out two more. That pass was ridiculous, making it so quick after beating the guy.

Funny how he is already the second best skater we have in the organization. So much fun to watch. If he keeps rushing the puck like that with that confidence, he is a lock for a first pairing guy. He is already making guys like Nurse and Klefbom look expendable in terms of raw skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad