Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I honestly think he was like 10 years old when he changed from fwd to d. I seem to remember because that meant more playing time.

Edit: found the clip, he was 12 years old (in summer camp) and it was to play more.

hmmm, yeah that is a lot younger than I had in my head. Moving at 12 doesn't mean much actually then. Thanks for information.

Reactions: LaGu

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
*Broberg in zone* - okay nice skating
*Broberg zone exit* okay, skates it out, Nurse does this plenty
*Broberg transitioning* ok, see Nurse do this lots
*Broberg with a sweet heads-up feed to spring the breakaway*

SoupyCarelessKagu-size_restricted.gif

Nurse cannot stick handle consistently like that at speed. Although he did score a nice goal after a deke once against the Jets. Broberg just seems to have better puck handles though.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
hmmm, yeah that is a lot younger than I had in my head. Moving at 12 doesn't mean much actually then. Thanks for information.
Context: Canadian coach in Sweden for a summer camp, too many forwards so Broberg pretended to be D. Later apparently the coach said that he'd become a much better D than FWD.

I think it's in a TC interview (or rookie camp) from last year. I saw it in a Swe paper.

Yes, 12 is early so I am not sure how much it has influenced his game. Theb again I've never been playing at those levels so maybe he was already very much developed at 12 :dunno:

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm more impressed about the pass than the rush itself. I never questioned Broberg's ability to transport the puck as that rush is pretty standard for him, it's the ability to get the puck to the right places consistently which separates the good Dmen from the great Dmen.

I've seen enough Oilers Dmen skate pucks or throw pucks into dead spots to last a lifetime and, quite frankly, have seen a lot of that in Broberg from the highlight packages and minimal viewings of him (which is why I wasn't a big fan of the pick) so if he can add a solid outlet pass to his arsenal instead of trying to do it all himself (cough Nurse cough), he'll be much more valuable and take his game to another level. I'm still skeptical that he can do that consistently but the tools are there.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm more impressed about the pass than the rush itself. I never questioned Broberg's ability to transport the puck as that rush is pretty standard for him, it's the ability to get the puck to the right places consistently which separates the good Dmen from the great Dmen.

I've seen enough Oilers Dmen skate pucks into dead spots to last a lifetime and, quite frankly, have seen a lot of that in Broberg from the highlight packages and minimal viewings of him (which is why I wasn't a big fan of the pick) so if he can add a solid outlet pass to his arsenal instead of trying to do it all himself (cough Nurse cough), he'll be much more valuable and take his game to another level. I'm still skeptical that he can do that consistently but the tools are there.

None of our defenders could have even skated that puck into the neutral zone. Dude has some puck handles.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I've seen enough Oilers Dmen skate pucks into dead spots to last a lifetime and, quite frankly, have seen a lot of that in Broberg from the highlight packages and minimal viewings of him (which is why I wasn't a big fan of the pick) so if he can add a solid outlet pass to his arsenal instead of trying to do it all himself (cough Nurse cough), he'll be much more valuable and take his game to another level. I'm still skeptical that he can do that consistently but the tools are there.

He does seem to have that Nurse-like ability to skate into no-mans-land (from my limited viewings), but I think with his speed that he should be able to "pull off" the 1-man rushes a lot more than Nurse can. Nurse has good wheels, but Broberg is on a whole different level. Just on that point along, I think he might end up being more offensively dangerous than a guy like Nurse.

I agree on the whole though, that an outlet pass is more important than rush-ability from the backend, and if he can improve in that regard, he would be a very, VERY, dangerous defender.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah Nurse can skate but you always get the feeling that stick handling is something that he's border line out of control with. Broberg looks much more in control.

Klefbom can't make that play period, Bear has the hands but not the skating.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
None of our defenders could have even skated that puck into the neutral zone. Dude has some puck handles.

Say what you want about Nurse but he's really good at zone exits and entrances, it's what he does when he enters the zone that's the problem. I've seen some of those same issues with Broberg too which is why this particular highlight was encouraging. You hardly ever see Nurse thread the needle with a pass like that at full speed or any speed for that matter.

One thing about Broberg is that he's a better skater than Nurse. His first few steps are quicker, his edges are quite a bit better and does handle the puck better.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Say what you want about Nurse but he's really good at zone exits and entrances, it's what he does when he enters the zone that's the problem. I've seen some of those same issues with Broberg too which is why this particular highlight was encouraging. You hardly ever see Nurse thread the needle with a pass like that at full speed or any speed for that matter.

One thing about Broberg is that he's a better skater than Nurse. His first few steps are quicker, his edges are quite a bit better and does handle the puck better.

With Nurse it’s because his lack of puck handling and agility cause him to exit the zone without the ability to actually make a decisive play with the puck. So he’ll skate the puck out fine but he’ll put himself in a position where he can’t make the next play after that. It still counts as a controlled zone exit and zone entry on the stat sheet but in game time it’s really just a wasted play.

And I’ve said for a while now that Nurse’s skating is overrated.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah Nurse can skate but you always get the feeling that stick handling is something that he's border line out of control with. Broberg looks much more in control.

Klefbom can't make that play period, Bear has the hands but not the skating.

What about Larsson? :sarcasm:

Reactions: McTonyBrar

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Say what you want about Nurse but he's really good at zone exits and entrances, it's what he does when he enters the zone that's the problem.

Yep. Skate it in deep right into the corner and then ring it around the boards.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yep. Skate it in deep right into the corner and then ring it around the boards.

Not sure if that is better or worse than the random centering pass into traffic he makes the other third of the time, or the crest shot into the goalie he makes the other third.

Reactions: gordonhught

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Wow, so many great things to take away from that play: the skating and hands to break out of his own zone, the vision and execution to complete the breakaway pass, and the ability to crash the net and score on the rebound. Edit: Or was that not him who jammed in the rebound?

I've really been warming up to the Broberg pick these past couple months. His play at camp and in the SHL preseason has been very encouraging and, after watching smooth-skating young d-men in Hughes, Makar, and Heiskanen dominate the playoffs, I'm beginning to see the value in having one of our own.

Today wasn't a preseason game right?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Posted previously the kid is hitting major development milestone and we continue to see anecdotal snapshots of his progression with highlight videos. He's got an elite toolkit propelled by exceptional skating and the most recent highlight shows very impressive puck transportation, mobility and vision to break a forward behind the opposition defense. All of the tools are there for a top pairing defensemen with size and it will still be a development journey to get there, but there is real hope the Oil have nailed this pick within what has been an organizational area of weakness for a long time over multiple rebuilds.

I love this kid's confidence and lack of fear to play aggressively and, as a child of two engineers, I think there is real intelligence which bodes well for learning and growing into the raw tool kit that justified the top ten pick, imo. Caution, slow cook development is required but lots to like entry draft +1 year out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->