Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Seider seems the better pick because the Oilers didn't draft him? It is kind of weird but you always say so much good stuff about other teams prospects but you always negatively react to anything that's related to the Oilers

Seider is the better pick.....b/c he's the better pick. I don't think many if anyone would argue that unless they had a bias to a team

Reactions: Aerchon

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
The thing I like about Broberg is he used to play some forward. As a defenceman now his instincts and vision should translate well. He has that speed too, he could really be something... and I wanted Zegras at the time

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The thing I like about Broberg is he used to play some forward. As a defenceman now his instincts and vision should translate well. He has that speed too, he could really be something... and I wanted Zegras at the time

Yeah I wanted Krebs or Newhook at the time and was disappointed in the pick given forward was/is a bigger need and I didn't think Broberg was the BPA at that point. That said I'm totally going to cheer for Broberg as an Oilers prospect and he put up a solid year of development so I'm happy to see him doing well and hope he keeps it up.

I can see the upside but as a converted forward you can see he's still learning the position and doesn't have the defensive positioning instincts. Hopefully he can continue to improve in that regard, learn the position and learn when to step up, because clearly he's got a lot of raw talent to make an excellent two-way defenceman.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He wasn't even that good a skater compared to his peers in the WJC. Anyone who watched that was not raving about his skating.

He is a good skater especially for his size. Edgework nothing to rave about and his agility "good" not elite.

Quinn Hughs skates circles around him.

Nurse is at least as good if not better at the same age.

I doubt he is currently a better skater than Klefbom is. Maybe slow decision making masks it but if you have watched this player you do not come away saying he is fast. Good skater, absolutely, elite... no.

In fairness skating often improves with age. As good as he is now he could end up great. Ala Draisaitl type.

So because you don’t think he’s as good as a much smaller elite NHL skater it means he isn’t that good? Okie

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I like Broberg.

Outside of Zegras it's not like anyone drafted right after Broberg is blowing the doors off.

I'm not entirely sure we needed another playmaker in Zegras anyways.

Holland definitely has no problem looking past who is the best player now and going for the guy who they think will be the best player in the long run.

Either way, if anyone knows these US guys, its Holland. They were right in his backyard and obviously Zegras didnt do enough to warrant taking him in his eyes.

Reactions: KYams17

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Honestly haven't seen much of his play. I just don't trust the teams European scouting ability. Everytime we draft someone high out of Europe they tend to dominate based on physical maturity.. Something that gets reversed once they come to N.A.
Jani Rita if you want to go way back.
Magnus
then JP

All 3 of them share draft traits with broberg. Size, and speed.... with middling numbers at best in their respective leagues.
They've all come over and flopped.. their physical dominance over smaller players gets reversed.

Just going by the numbers and history I wouldn't wager he'll ever be more than a second pairing d-man.

Why do I feel that way... because the above.. until they prove otherwise they don't get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Heard he looks great over in Europe and in our camps.. That's cool and heck here's hoping.
But I've seen this song and dance too many times.
You don't go from scoring 2 whole goals in your draft year in Swedish 2nd tier elite..
To 1 big whopper in your post draft year in swedish elite.

To a bonefide top end d-man in the NHL. If you're gonna burn a top 10 pick in the draft on d-man.. He better have a chance of being one of them truly elite d-men. One that has the potential to do it on both ends of the rink.
You don't draft what projects to be a second paring minute muncher.. 5 goal d-man. We have them.. hell we have 2 of them.. Klefbom, Nurse.... we have v3 coming in Broberg. little bit faster.. little bit less physical.... offensively mediocre.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Honestly haven't seen much of his play. I just don't trust the teams European scouting ability. Everytime we draft someone high out of Europe they tend to dominate based on physical maturity.. Something that gets reversed once they come to N.A.
Magnus
then JP

All 3 of them share draft traits with broberg. Size, and speed.... with middling numbers at best in their respective leagues.
They've all come over and flopped.. their physical dominance over smaller players gets reversed.

Just going by the numbers and history I wouldn't wager he'll ever be more than a second pairing d-man.

Why do I feel that way... because the above.. until they prove otherwise they don't get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Heard he looks great over in Europe and in our camps.. That's cool and heck here's hoping.
You don't go from scoring 2 whole goals in your draft year in Swedish 2nd tier elite..

To a bonefide top end d-man in the NHL. If you're gonna burn a top 10 pick in the draft on d-man.. He better have a chance of being one of them truly elite d-men. One that has the potential to do it on both ends of the rink.
You don't draft what projects to be a second paring minute muncher.. 5 goal d-man. We have them.. hell we have 2 of them.. Klefbom, Nurse.... we have v3 coming in Broberg. little bit faster.. little bit less physical.... offensively mediocre.
Broberg has been playing in a mens league, and so was JP when he was drafted.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I like Broberg.

Outside of Zegras it's not like anyone drafted right after Broberg is blowing the doors off.

I'm not entirely sure we needed another playmaker in Zegras anyways.

Holland definitely has no problem looking past who is the best player now and going for the guy who they think will be the best player in the long run.

Either way, if anyone knows these US guys, its Holland. They were right in his backyard and obviously Zegras didnt do enough to warrant taking him in his eyes.
Even Zegras didn't have that great a year from a statistical perspective. Newhook probably had a better season.

I too wanted Zegras at the time of the draft, but it's definitely too soon to say Broberg was the wrong pick.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Broberg's at minimum is meeting his development goals playing as a young drafted teenager against men. His priority is to learn to defend and following than to continue to work on his shot and decision making. He slotted in as shutdown d-man at the U20; came in ready, hungry and able at Bubble Camp which left many (including Tippett and Holland) seemingly placing Broberg as the team's best prospect with an earned depth chart role; now he's first pairing in his professional team in Sweden. By reports he's growing physically as well. Lots of touchpoints which suggest this kid is moving steadily upward in the projections made within his draft class.

Speaking of his draft peers, I was more interested in drafting one of the Dub studs, Byram, Dach or Cousins which I thought one of these might fall to the Oilers. But Broberg was also in my wheelhouse as someone whose raw abilities and size could be a huge add at the position neglected too long by the Oilers failed drafting model. The American all star team was grossly overhyped and interesting to say the least that both Yzerman and Holland opted to go elsewhere for their picks despite close proximity to the Michigan based national team.

Broberg looks comfortably on development track to be a second pairing NHL defenseman. But there's very real possibility this kid could hit the mark to be a top pairing defenseman which would be a godsend for this franchise's efforts to become a legitimate playoff contender over the next decade.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Where did you see that? The SHL doesn't start their season for a few days still
I posted it in the prospect thread, didn't realise that the Bronerg thread was active.

Anyhow I can re-post my post from there here, in case some don't look in both:
- I think Broberg started on the 2nd pair in the first game, but since then was moved up to first pair (playing on the left, with Petter Granberg on the right).
- He is on PP2 for Skelleftea, but worth noting here is that Skelleftea's PP1 has no defenceman on it. They run 5 forwards on their top unit, the second unit is a "kid" unit (3 out of 5 played the for SWE in the U20s).
- Finally, in terms of player grades he has been getting 3's (1-5) in the games for which I managed to get around the paywall of the local paper :)

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If the poster is outlandish with his assessments and saying things to antagonize the thread , you have ask yourself, is this guy a troll? and block them.

Not a troll just dumb. I remember him criticizing Yamamoto’s play in a game that he didn’t even play in lmao.

I wouldn’t put much credibility to his opinions, they are unrealistic at best.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I posted it in the prospect thread, didn't realise that the Bronerg thread was active.

Anyhow I can re-post my post from there here, in case some don't look in both:
Does it sound like they are wanting to keep him up there or is it more just preseason tinkering? I don't really know how Sweden treats it's preseason as I haven't really paid attention till the games start (regular season games)

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Magnus
then JP

So you don't burn a top 10 pick on a dman like Nurse. Interesting I wonder where Ive heard that before :sarcasm: In all honesty Broberg has more upside then both Klefbom and Nurse, I have no problem taking him where we did. Also Klefbom is one of our few success stories out of Europe, so that gives me hope for drafting Swedish dmen.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Does it sound like they are wanting to keep him up there or is it more just preseason tinkering? I don't really know how Sweden treats it's preseason as I haven't really paid attention till the games start (regular season games)
No no, it's the team. No tinkering, there haven't been much tinkering with any team really. Savings, i.e. less players available. I think the other day they said that over 100 players from shl/allsv are "unemployed".

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Not too sure, but it could be because of his chemistry with Granberg.

They played together a lot last season and Granberg is the best rightie on the team now with Pudas signing in the KHL and Berglund being loaned to Linkoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad