Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Seider seems the better pick but i hope Holland would have gone for Broberg anyways. Both were reaches.

No idea why there are so many Nurse comparisons. Broberg really isn't like either Nurse or Klefbom although of the two I'd say closer to Klefbom. More of a jack of all trades master of none like Klefbom.

From limited viewing I don't think his skating is as good as people are gushing. Broberg is as raw as raw gets in ever facet. Not an elite passer, shooter, skater, defensively, offensively, grit, hitting, fighting, breaking up cycles...

He is above average size and skating has shown some skill and some defense but nothing to get excited about. He has a lòoooooong ways to go in every facet of the game.

I don't have any comparisons stylistically or realistically in terms of current or previous players. Does anyone know who he models his game after?
Atleast we know you don't have an eye for talent then.

Reactions: nabob and KYams17

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So if Broberg's skating is nothing special then name me a Dman who has special skating.

Skating wise Broberg is as good as you can get. He has long ways to go in most other aspects of his game especially protecting the front of the net.
From some reports, he was the second best skater at training camp behind McDavid.

Reactions: KYams17

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So if Broberg's skating is nothing special then name me a Dman who has special skating.

Skating wise Broberg is as good as you can get. He has long ways to go in most other aspects of his game especially protecting the front of the net.

He wasn't even that good a skater compared to his peers in the WJC. Anyone who watched that was not raving about his skating.

He is a good skater especially for his size. Edgework nothing to rave about and his agility "good" not elite.

Quinn Hughs skates circles around him.

Nurse is at least as good if not better at the same age.

I doubt he is currently a better skater than Klefbom is. Maybe slow decision making masks it but if you have watched this player you do not come away saying he is fast. Good skater, absolutely, elite... no.

In fairness skating often improves with age. As good as he is now he could end up great. Ala Draisaitl type.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He wasn't even that good a skater compared to his peers in the WJC. Anyone who watched that was not raving about his skating.

He is a good skater especially for his size. Edgework nothing to rave about and his agility "good" not elite.

I doubt he is currently a better skater than Klefbom is. Maybe slow decision making masks it but if you have watched this player you do not come away saying he is fast. Good skater, absolutely, elite... no.

In fairness skating often improves with age. As good as he is now he could end up great. Ala Draisaitl type.
What?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

You have got to be f***ing kidding me. I take it you didn't watch the Oilers scrimmages before the return to play? That or you did and have short term memory loss? He is the best skating defenseman that we have bar none.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He absolutely is a player that I come away from raving about his skating

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Broberg not being a good skater?
He is a great skater speed wise and acceleration. I mean yes his edgework does need work but that's often the easier of the skating ability to improve on. Natural raw explosiveness and speed isn't really teachable.

I'd say his backwards skating isn't great, but logically that makes sense for a guy who started as a forward. Will he ever improve that to be as good as his forward skating? Who knows. It's not bad either though, but it does pale in comparison to his forward skating

To call him not a great skater is...odd. Most of his other traits can easily be argued as he has shown good and bad for most. His skating though? Calling it bad is objectively false.

Reactions: nabob and Aerchon

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

If you want to be critical of a player at least be critical of something they're weak at and be honest about what the players strengths are.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think assuming Holland had very good knowledge of Zegras is a bit of a reach. Of course he knows more about any of these players better than any of us but just being accurate that certainly has not helped him more. I think any of us could draft as well as any major sporting team. On the surface anyways luck seems just as good as skill/knowledge.

This was Holland's pick. A personal preference. Visions of Lidstrom after falling in love after one great WJC years ago.

Nothing, yet, heavily suggests this prospect will be an nhler. Griffin Reinhart had more clear indications of greatness than Broberg has to date. Exaggeration to prove a point. We need to see a shit ton more from him in his draft +2 year before any unbiased person could say with certainty he will eventually be an nhl player.

Did you just say Reinhart had more indications of greatness than Broberg?...

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I also wasn’t a fan of the Broberg pick, but he could be Tonya Hardinged twice a day for the next five years and he’d still be a better skater than Reinhart on his best day.

Broberg will be a top 4 defenceman in this league, no doubt in my mind - but if he maxes out as, say, Nurse, then I don’t love the pick - Zegras was my guy.

What's so bad about Nurse? LOL he's a top 4 defenceman

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
For me it would be legit top 4 minutes on his team. Playing in every role. Putting up some points is always great but I want to hear how he is playing very well in an inferior league. For him to even be considered a solid nhl prospect he needs to start becoming one of the best in the SHL.

By the end of this year he should be trusted in most/all situations on his team.

Last year he wasn't trusted in the top 4 of his WJC team. He was the 5th at best defenseman on his WJC team. Not 5th best defenseman in that tourney. Not 5th best player period in tourney. Not 5th best defenseman on his SHL team... You get the picture.

I expect far more from a #8 pick in a strong draft than being a bottom pairing guy in junior tourneys and the SHL.

Buddy... he's playing top pair in the SHL right now

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
IMO he has a higher upside than Nurse and Klef. This isn't his first highly skilled goal that he's scored. Would Nurse put up that kind of ES numbers on most teams that have better offensive options on D? I don't think so. I for one would be disappointed if all that he turned out to be was Nurse or Klef as we need better defensemen than those 2 to anchor our top pairing,

Bro cool your expectations. You label Broberg as a top pair now and jump on the typical Oil fan bandwagon, I guarantee you will hate him if he turns into a #3 dman. He's nowhere near top pair on an NHL team yet. Defenders aren't coming into what they are for a long time

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Seider seems the better pick but i hope Holland would have gone for Broberg anyways. Both were reaches.

No idea why there are so many Nurse comparisons. Broberg really isn't like either Nurse or Klefbom although of the two I'd say closer to Klefbom. More of a jack of all trades master of none like Klefbom.

From limited viewing I don't think his skating is as good as people are gushing. Broberg is as raw as raw gets in ever facet. Not an elite passer, shooter, skater, defensively, offensively, grit, hitting, fighting, breaking up cycles...

He is above average size and skating has shown some skill and some defense but nothing to get excited about. He has a lòoooooong ways to go in every facet of the game.

I don't have any comparisons stylistically or realistically in terms of current or previous players. Does anyone know who he models his game after?

Seider seems the better pick because the Oilers didn't draft him? It is kind of weird but you always say so much good stuff about other teams prospects but you always negatively react to anything that's related to the Oilers

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

There is so much wrong in this post wow. It's clear you've never in your life watched the player play. It's like a movie critic giving a negative review to a film by not even watching it

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Huh??

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You have got to be f***ing kidding me. I take it you didn't watch the Oilers scrimmages before the return to play? That or you did and have short term memory loss? He is the best skating defenseman that we have bar none.

Thr scrimmages were not open to the public.

Clarification i said not "that" good. But still good.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

How do you know he was not that good if the scrimmages were not open to the public???? Did you watch from the 630 Ched helicopter??

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bro cool your expectations. You label Broberg as a top pair now and jump on the typical Oil fan bandwagon, I guarantee you will hate him if he turns into a #3 dman. He's nowhere near top pair on an NHL team yet. Defenders aren't coming into what they are for a long time

When did I say that he's a top pairing NHLer now or even an NHLer at all at this point? Feel free to point out where I said that in my post. Hoping him to be better than Klef and Nurse down the road really isn't all that high of a bar to clear IMO. Hell Jones could be that player in 2-3 years time ffs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Fair enough but there were highlights and there was the Cave Memorial Scrimmage as well which was streamed on the team's website.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
When did I say that he's a top pairing NHLer now or even an NHLer at all at this point? Feel free to point out where I said that in my post. Hoping him to be better than Klef and Nurse down the road really isn't all that high of a bar to clear IMO. Hell Jones could be that player in 2-3 years time ffs.

My bad sorry. I assumed you meant that when you said you hope he's better than Klef or Nurse

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My bad sorry. I assumed you meant that when you said you hope he's better than Klef or Nurse

Currently I wouldn't trust him as anything more than a bottom pairing guy and even that would need to be earned in the next camp unless he is gangbusters this year in Sweden.

Reactions: KYams17

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Fair enough but there were highlights and there was the Cave Memorial Scrimmage as well which was streamed on the team's website.

I missed that.

I like to watch a player myself to gauge their skill set. The only solid viewing I've had of Broberg was this last WJC. He was meh at best. Ditto his season in the SHL by accounts.

He did not look fast. He did not look big. He did not look good skating backward or puck races or in terms of edgework or agility. He did not look good positionally.

Then I watched his preseason game versus Calgary and it matched the above.

I understand it's possible to see players bad or good but so far I have only seen him bad. Legitimately. The closed practices where he supposedly was amazing sound like Edmonton media bs hype.

If he comes into next camp and actually looks good in preseason games I'll start getting excited and completely change my tune. But until then most the hype is a lot of trying to pass chicken shit as chicken salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad