Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
Brobergs ceiling is Norris winner. With that skating, size and puck skill, he can become one of the premier defender of his generation.

Holland knows a thing or two about drafting defencemen.

Reactions: oilynutz

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No, he has the potential to be that good or at least have that style of play. Not even close to being a Klefbom style player. Just because he is Swedish and good looking....
He isn't close to having the same style as the guys you listed. Keith and Coffey? Guy isn't similar to them at all. Or Klefbom. His closest comparable is a non physical Nurse.

Reactions: Zaddy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Brobergs ceiling is Norris winner. With that skating, size and puck skill, he can become one of the premier defender of his generation.

What puck skill? Guy lacks puck skill and hockey sense. He is big. And can skate. Guy won't be close to a Norris defender. 2nd pair dman is his ceiling

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
What puck skill? Guy lacks puck skill and hockey sense. He is big. And can skate. Guy won't be close to a Norris defender. 2nd pair dman is his ceiling
Great hands and puck carrying ability. Made some Really nice plays in the games I watched this season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He isn't close to having the same style as the guys you listed. Keith and Coffey? Guy isn't similar to them at all. Or Klefbom. His closest comparable is a non physical Nurse.

His upside comparable is Joni Pitkanen.

Tall, extremely mobile, non-physical defenders who lack that extra bit to become true top pairing defenders.

Downside is someone who doesn't even make the league.

Middle ground, probably someone like Nick Schultz. A smooth skating defender who lacks the true puck skill to put up offense at the NHL level.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
A year on and I'm as disappointed in this pick now as I was then. Just don't know what they were thinking with this pick. Reaching for a guy that doesn't offer anything the team doesn't already have. Don't get it. Guy was ranked #15 by TSN/Bob and #21 by HockeyProspect. Why take him at #8? There were so many better options. I had Zegras, York, Caufield, Krebs, Boldy, Newhook, Söderström, Heinola and Seider all ahead of him. Pretty much all of those guys had impressive seasons and are tracking well.

Reactions: Aerrol

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
A year on and I'm as disappointed in this pick now as I was then. Just don't know what they were thinking with this pick. Reaching for a guy that doesn't offer anything the team doesn't already have. Don't get it. Guy was ranked #15 by TSN/Bob and #21 by HockeyProspect. Why take him at #8? There were so many better options. I had Zegras, York, Caufield, Krebs, Boldy, Newhook, Söderström, Heinola and Seider all ahead of him. Pretty much all of those guys had impressive seasons and are tracking well.

Broberg didn't have a disappointing season at all.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Agreed. Zegras would have been the more logical pick.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
My guess here is Holland wants his new Lidstrom and saw this guy.

I'll support the pick and the G.M. hoping its turns out.

I would have picked a forward then, and in hindsight too.

I guess if this guy turns into something really good, then I will understand the pick. Until then, it's a boo boo.

Just my realistic view, not negative.

IN HOLLAND WE TRUST.

I was thinking a forward as well but I trust Holland. You can never have enough Dman. Look at St Louis

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Take what JD Burke said with a truck load of salt. When he started talking about Jonathen Dahlin and how he wanted out of Vancouver. Dahlin did not want to be in North America, he gave it a shot and made it clear he wanted to go home to Sweden. Dahlin also wanted out of the Sens organization. The kid got home sick for Sweden

I'm from the East Coast (NS) and lived in Vancouver from 91-98. Trust me, that fan base knows sweet FA about sports. Its actually hard listening to them speak at all

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Lots of time to see what we have in Broberg. Wasn't a huge fan of the pick, but what do I know.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Should have traded down a bit for Caufield or Newhook. We need(ed) snipers
Hopefully Broberg takes a step forward next season.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Should have traded down a bit for Caufield or Newhook. We need(ed) snipers
Hopefully Broberg takes a step forward next season.

Great. Not this debate again.

Should have taken ________________________ (fill in the blank)

Caufield, Newhook, Kaliyev, etc.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yet most scouts say otherwise?

Who should I believe, Cyclone? or the other scouting reports.
That parts my opinion for sure.
Most scouting reports did say he has not great puck handling skills and limited offense ability. Also his shot isn't great. That and he does t have great positioning which his speed covered for at junior but gets exposed against adults.
All of that was in various scouting reports on him. The lack of hockey IQ, which I know other scouts say he has good but I disagree, but yes that's my opinion.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yet most scouts say otherwise?

Who should I believe, Cyclone? or the other scouting reports.

Some thinks it's good, many others don't.
“If you look at our ratings they tell our version of his story. I think he lacks hockey sense and a great puck game. I didn’t think he was nearly as fantastic at the Hlinka last summer as some scouts I spoke to did. To me he lacked hockey sense and it continued all season. Great size, skating combo but it goes downhill in a hurry after that in my opinion. I am far from alone on our staff with my assessment and I know numerous team scouts who also share our take. Hope I'm wrong. seemed like a great kid. at the combine and I got good reviews on his interviews there. - HP Scout, Mark Edwards, June 2019

One NHL scout noted that he thinks whoever takes him in the top10 will regret it. Many scouts said he can't move the puck and plays with blinders on. Two guys had him in their 2nd round. There were some very legitimate concerns from scouts about his game.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

v

Is this a twist on Mact and Lowe's "We know a few things about winning" comment? I hope it is because Holland took over having the final say in who the wings draft in 1997. He was still just listed as a scout when Lidstrom was drafted in 89 and was drafted by Jimmy Devellano. Kromwell is the only real top D man that Holland drafted while GM of the Wings, He was good at drafting D guys who were third pairing D-men as he drafted a lot of those guys

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
The peddle stool that some are putting Broberg is a little too high. The best we should be hoping for is that he is as good as Klefbom. Seems that looking at his stats and scouting reports, he is along the same line of player as Klefbom and we need to keep perspective on how good he will be. When I see posters posting the word "Norris" I get concerned. This was his first year playing in the top league in Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad